Conquest of Paradise» Forums » General

Subject: Game Play Weight - Lighter than Twilight Struggle? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How heavy is this game? Lighter than Twilight Struggle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
Warrior Band counter for Conquest of Paradise by GMT Games.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that it's a bit lighter than Twilight Struggle. I've played both games, but I've played CoP a lot more, and am somewhat more familiar with the rules. So to me, CoP is much easier to play than TS.

GMT rates TS a bit higher on their Complexity scale: TS is a 4, and CoP is a 3. For comparison, Winds of Plunder is a 2 and Sword of Rome is a 5.

TS has some inherent complexities in the interaction of the cards, which are central to game play. The cards in CoP are played intermittently, and are unlikely to trigger complex interactions (as can occur in any card driven game, like TS).

That said, both games do a lot of different things, but do them all with very simple mechanics. TS has national influence levels, the space race, scoring by region, and card play. CoP has exploring, building, empire expansion and (sometimes) combat. Lots of things going on, lots of choices to be made, but in each case, very simple mechanics. It's like the essence of each situation has been boiled down to a concentrated bouillabaisse.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.