$15.00
$5.00
$20.00
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/siskiyou-county-tries...

Is the voter fraud that BJ keeps going on about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:

Here is part of what's inside DH's link...

Quote:
The controversy first unspooled this summer, when ACLU California’s voting rights director, Lori Shellenberger, informed the California secretary of state’s and attorney general’s offices that Hmong residents were, as she told TPM at the time, “terrified of going to vote” in the state’s primary.

Bearing service weapons, Siskiyou County Sheriff Jon Lopey and his deputies visited the homes of at least 39 Hmong residents to inquire about recently filed voter registration forms that the county clerk flagged for lacking “all of the information required by law.” Lopey told TPM at the time that he believed “some of these Asian Americans were manipulated, perhaps cajoled or coerced into filling out voter registration cards” by “very aggressive” individuals from the San Francisco Bay area.

“A lot of these people haven’t been here for a long time," he told TPM.

Investigators from the secretary of state and attorney general’s offices were dispatched to look into the voter fraud allegations, but soon became aware of the serious allegations against Lopey's deputies of voter intimidation. A spokesman for the secretary of state's office told TPM at the time that the agency's investigation “evolved” after it learned that “the local sheriff and district attorney instead chose to repeatedly issue statements that were viewed as efforts to intimidate the Hmong community.”

Though investigators from both agencies monitored polling sites on June 7, some of the approximately 1,000 local Hmong residents allegedly felt too threatened to vote. Siskiyou County's Hmong community is composed largely of political refugees, some of whom live in makeshift shelters on unincorporated parcels of land.

No no no. That's voter intimidation. That and removing voter registration for being felons without actually verifying they are felons are republican specialties.

https://www.thenation.com/article/how-the-2000-election-in-f...
Quote:
On November 7, 2000, Willie Steen, a Navy vet who had served in the Persian Gulf during Desert Storm, went to cast his ballot for president at the St. Francis Episcopal Church in Tampa, Florida.

He brought his 10-year-old son, Willie Jr., to the polls for the first time. They waited a half hour to reach a poll worker. When Steen gave the poll worker his name, she searched a list of registered voters in the precinct and told him, “You can’t vote. You’re a convicted felon.”

“You must be mistaken,” a shocked Steen replied. “I’ve never been arrested in my life.” He worked at a hospital, a Tampa orthopedics center, that wouldn’t employ anyone with a felony conviction.

This article is adapted from Give Us the Ballot: The Modern Struggle for Voting Rights in America, published by Farrar, Straus and Giroux. Copyright © 2015 by Ari Berman. All rights reserved.

berman-ballot-tinyThe poll worker gave him a number to call at the board of elections, but no one picked up. The 75 people behind him in line grew antsy. Few would look him in the eye.

He left in embarrassment, struggling to explain to his son what had just happened. After fighting for his country abroad, he wasn’t able to exercise his most fundamental right at home. “I felt I was shafted,” Steen said. “I think there were a lot of things that weren’t done properly. My name was dragged through the mud.”

He later found out from journalist Greg Palast that he’d been confused with a convict named Willie O’Steen, who had committed a felony between 1991 and 1993, when Steen was in the Persian Gulf. Little did Steen know that the same thing was happening to voters across the state of Florida—and disproportionately to voters like him, who were African-American.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

Here is part of what's inside DH's link...

Quote:
The controversy first unspooled this summer, when ACLU California’s voting rights director, Lori Shellenberger, informed the California secretary of state’s and attorney general’s offices that Hmong residents were, as she told TPM at the time, “terrified of going to vote” in the state’s primary.

Bearing service weapons, Siskiyou County Sheriff Jon Lopey and his deputies visited the homes of at least 39 Hmong residents to inquire about recently filed voter registration forms that the county clerk flagged for lacking “all of the information required by law.” Lopey told TPM at the time that he believed “some of these Asian Americans were manipulated, perhaps cajoled or coerced into filling out voter registration cards” by “very aggressive” individuals from the San Francisco Bay area.

“A lot of these people haven’t been here for a long time," he told TPM.

Investigators from the secretary of state and attorney general’s offices were dispatched to look into the voter fraud allegations, but soon became aware of the serious allegations against Lopey's deputies of voter intimidation. A spokesman for the secretary of state's office told TPM at the time that the agency's investigation “evolved” after it learned that “the local sheriff and district attorney instead chose to repeatedly issue statements that were viewed as efforts to intimidate the Hmong community.”

Though investigators from both agencies monitored polling sites on June 7, some of the approximately 1,000 local Hmong residents allegedly felt too threatened to vote. Siskiyou County's Hmong community is composed largely of political refugees, some of whom live in makeshift shelters on unincorporated parcels of land.

No no no. That's voter intimidation. That and removing voter registration for being felons without actually verifying they are felons are republican specialties.

https://www.thenation.com/article/how-the-2000-election-in-f...
Quote:
On November 7, 2000, Willie Steen, a Navy vet who had served in the Persian Gulf during Desert Storm, went to cast his ballot for president at the St. Francis Episcopal Church in Tampa, Florida.

He brought his 10-year-old son, Willie Jr., to the polls for the first time. They waited a half hour to reach a poll worker. When Steen gave the poll worker his name, she searched a list of registered voters in the precinct and told him, “You can’t vote. You’re a convicted felon.”

“You must be mistaken,” a shocked Steen replied. “I’ve never been arrested in my life.” He worked at a hospital, a Tampa orthopedics center, that wouldn’t employ anyone with a felony conviction.

This article is adapted from Give Us the Ballot: The Modern Struggle for Voting Rights in America, published by Farrar, Straus and Giroux. Copyright © 2015 by Ari Berman. All rights reserved.

berman-ballot-tinyThe poll worker gave him a number to call at the board of elections, but no one picked up. The 75 people behind him in line grew antsy. Few would look him in the eye.

He left in embarrassment, struggling to explain to his son what had just happened. After fighting for his country abroad, he wasn’t able to exercise his most fundamental right at home. “I felt I was shafted,” Steen said. “I think there were a lot of things that weren’t done properly. My name was dragged through the mud.”

He later found out from journalist Greg Palast that he’d been confused with a convict named Willie O’Steen, who had committed a felony between 1991 and 1993, when Steen was in the Persian Gulf. Little did Steen know that the same thing was happening to voters across the state of Florida—and disproportionately to voters like him, who were African-American.

Can you imagine being an immigrant, at this point in time, having the cops show up at your home and point guns at you for no reason whatsoever?

I wonder how many white, non-immigrant homes they "investigated"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.