Subject: How to increase steel and titanium production rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How are you supposed to increase steel and titanium production using the base set of cards.

I just played a game and there were no cards that came up that allowed us to do that.

In fact after the game I checked the deck and only a few cards gave that ability.

I then thought something must be wrong. Does steel production increase for every card with a building tag and titanium for every card with a space tag?

I know there are lots more mining cards in the Corporation card deck so maybe the answer is to include those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There's a shape called "The Golden Rectangle". Have you heard of it?
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
It refers to a rectangle that's approximately contstructed in the ratio of 9 to 16. The golden rectangle has several characteristics. Let's say I create a square within this shape. Then, this smaller rectangle that I just created will also be a
badge
golden rectangle. I make another square within that and the leftover is another golden rectangle. And I make a few more, and when I connect all the central points of these shapes it creates a spiral that continues forever. This is the "Golden Spin".
mbmbmbmbmb
You really don't. Most if not all of those cards are in the extended deck.

Remember, though, that you start with 1 production in everything if you're not using the extended deck (whether you are using beginner corporations or not).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Bulhões
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
Wait, I thought you always begin with 1 production of everything. Is it not the case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
golden_cow2 wrote:
Remember, though, that you start with 1 production in everything if you're not using the extended deck (whether you are using beginner corporations or not).

Wait what?! Wow I have been playing and teaching this wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Wood
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played through ~75% of my first game today (without the corporate cards) and after reading your post I was confused. I had 3 cards myself that boost steel/titanium construction!

But looking through the deck now I've only found 6. So I guess your point mostly still stands.

Phobos Space Haven
Underground City
Industrial Microbes
Mining Rights
Strip Mine
Asteroid Mining

and if you were really desperate and with good energy production you could use these as somewhat pseudo production...

Ironworks
Steelworks
Ore Processor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Wood
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coiote wrote:
Wait, I thought you always begin with 1 production of everything. Is it not the case?

When you play with the corporate era cards (red/white triangle) you start with 0 production in everything (but then you add whatever you get from your corporation if anything).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Woodenman wrote:
Coiote wrote:

When you play with the corporate era cards (red/white triangle) you start with 0 production in everything (but then you add whatever you get from your corporation if anything).

Not just Corporate era cards. You only ever start at 1 if you use a beginner corporation. Any of the advanced corporations you start at 0 unless otherwise stated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odyzeus Longbow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterM2158 wrote:
Woodenman wrote:
Coiote wrote:

Not just Corporate era cards. You only ever start at 1 if you use a beginner corporation. Any of the advanced corporations you start at 0 unless otherwise stated.

That's wrong.
You either play a CE game, where everything is 0 + what's on the corporate card,
Or a non CE game, where everything is 1 + what's on the corporate card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Chaney

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could there be some confusion in that

-using the advanced corporations, where a player starts with a Corporate card that gives them some effect, starting money not equal to 42, and they have to pay for whatever of their initial 10 cards they want to keep ....

and

-Corporate Era, where you add in the optional cards to the deck, which have a tiny red and white mark on the lower left edge

both have the word "Corporate" in them?

Initial production is as several have pointed out purely dependent on inclusion of the Corporate Era cards --- it is NOT triggered by the advanced (non-beginner) corporations.

Maybe if the Corporate Era option had a different name indicating the initial ramp-up it induces there would be less confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winston Spencer
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
newsaidin wrote:
You either play a CE game, where everything is 0 + what's on the corporate card,
Or a non CE game, where everything is 1 + what's on the corporate card.

He is correct. In a standard game, you gain the the 1 production in everything in step 4 and only choose your corporation in step 5 (for Beginner Corporation) or later (for Standard Corporation).

manual page 7 wrote:
4) Players: The player who most recently won a
game of Terraforming Mars is given the first player
marker. Players choose their colors and take the
corresponding player markers and a player board.
You start with 1 production of each resource on the
player board, so place player markers on the tracks
(only in standard game.)
Each player also places one
marker at the starting position (20) of the TR track.

manual page 13 wrote:
Corporate Era (extended game):
To play the extended game, simply add all cards
marked with a red and white icon ( )on the cards’
lower left border at the start of setup, including 2 new
corporations. Players start with no extra production of
resources (see Setup - Players on page 7)
. Corporate Era can
be combined with any of the other game variants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Stückl
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Aztarun wrote:
He is correct. In a standard game, you only choose your corporation in step 5, after you already had the 1 production in everything.

Corporations are NOT chosen in step 5 of the setup.
Notably, you see the 10 cards you can buy from before you choose a corporation, allowing you to choose a corporation that alignes well with whatever cards you drew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winston Spencer
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bastinator1 wrote:
Aztarun wrote:
He is correct. In a standard game, you only choose your corporation in step 5, after you already had the 1 production in everything.

Corporations are NOT chosen in step 5 of the setup.
Notably, you see the 10 cards you can buy from before you choose a corporation, allowing you to choose a corporation that alignes well with whatever cards you drew.

I'll correct my self, I wanted to say that you choose if you will use, or not, a Beginner Corporation in step 5, but it's didn't change the fact that the production bonus of the standard game is gained before you choose your corporation.

I'll edit my post to make it clear, thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kenchaney wrote:
Could there be some confusion in that

-using the advanced corporations, where a player starts with a Corporate card that gives them some effect, starting money not equal to 42, and they have to pay for whatever of their initial 10 cards they want to keep ....

and

-Corporate Era, where you add in the optional cards to the deck, which have a tiny red and white mark on the lower left edge

both have the word "Corporate" in them?

Initial production is as several have pointed out purely dependent on inclusion of the Corporate Era cards --- it is NOT triggered by the advanced (non-beginner) corporations.

Maybe if the Corporate Era option had a different name indicating the initial ramp-up it induces there would be less confusion.

I think this hits the nail on the head! I have heard too many terms thrown around: "Standard," "Corporate," "Corporate Era," "advanced," "beginner," "Cards/Game." There seems to be confusion also about whether these terms apply to the kind of game you're playing or the cards you're using.

I would love to see a complete definition of each of these terms:

A Standard Game is....in which you use....cards and start with ... production.

A Corporate Game is...in which you use...cards and start with ... production.

A Corporate Era Game is...in which you use...cards and start with ... production.

That would go a long way in clarifying (standardizing) the terms. There seems to be some overlap or muddying of the waters as people write about them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Stückl
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Frank Hamrick wrote:
Quote:
[...]

I think this hits the nail on the head! I have heard too many terms thrown around: "Standard," "Corporate," "Corporate Era," "advanced," "beginner," "Cards/Game." There seems to be confusion also about whether these terms apply to the kind of game you're playing or the cards you're using.

I would love to see a complete definition of each of these terms:

A Standard Game is....in which you use....cards and start with ... production.

A Corporate Game is...in which you use...cards and start with ... production.

A Corporate Era Game is...in which you use...cards and start with ... production.

That would go a long way in clarifying (standardizing) the terms. There seems to be some overlap or muddying of the waters as people write about them.

First of all, there is no such thing as a Corporate Game. It simply doesn't exist.
It's not mentioned in the rules and there is no meaningful interpretation of this phrase.
The rules only mention a word for the corporate era.(Somebody correct me if I am wrong, I can't check the complete rules right now)
Basically, there are two ways to play the game:

Regular variant [Edit: Standard Game]
Corporate Era variant (extended game)

In the regular variant, you start with 1 production of every resource.
In the corporate era variant, you start with 0 production, and include all cards marked with the appropriate symbol, including 2 extra corporations.

In either case, your corporation may further increase production of a particular resource.

In both variants, all experienced players receive 2 corporations and 10 cards to choose from,
All new players receive a beginner corporation, and draw 10 cards.

Either of them can be combined with the draft variant.

Sebastian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Shrike
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook refers to the "Regular variant" as the "standard game".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Stückl
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
XShrike wrote:

Ah, excellent! Thanks!
Do you know where to find it in the rules, so I can check it out later?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winston Spencer
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bastinator1 wrote:
XShrike wrote:

Ah, excellent! Thanks!

There is a reference here, I didn't look for another:

manual page 7 wrote:
4) Players: The player who most recently won a
game of Terraforming Mars is given the first player
marker. Players choose their colors and take the
corresponding player markers and a player board.
You start with 1 production of each resource on the
player board, so place player markers on the tracks
(only in standard game.) Each player also places one
marker at the starting position (20) of the TR track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Fryxelius
msg tools
Just want to confirm that Sebastian is 100% ríght!

TM can be played with a few different options, and unfortunately that creates some confusion sometimes:

There are 1 standard game and 1 expansion included in the box:
- Standard game: start with 1 extra production of everything (+corporation starting bonuses).
- Corporate Era Expansion ("extended game"): start without extra production of everything (but add corporation starting bonuses). Add all CE cards (red triangle in the frame).

Playing with or without extra production affects all players, no matter if they play with Beginner corporation or (regular) corporation!

There are also these options that work with standard game and expansions (CE and coming expansions):
- You can either choose a Beginner Corporation (intended for beginners), or choose between 2 of the regular corporations. Beginner Corps gets their 10 cards for free so they don't have to make any difficult choices during setup. The other players look at their 10 starting cards and 2 corporations at the same time and decide which cards they want to buy and which corp they want to play.
- You can play draft variant and draft the 4 cards in the Research Phase (draft is never applied on the 10 starting cards!).
- You can play solo - but then you always play with CE expansions (all the cards and no extra producion).

We hope that all these options offers more replayability, rather than headache to people...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Shrike
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bastinator1 wrote:
XShrike wrote:

Ah, excellent! Thanks!

It's on page 7, first sentence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.