Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Codenames» Forums » General

Subject: Are these clues legit rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lior A
Israel
flag msg tools
Avatar
Hello,

Two clues we had yesterday:

1. 2 - 2. The clue meant that there are two two letter words.

2. Cinema - 2, twice. Once the guessers guessed the two correct words but they considered two other words. Next turn, the clue giver said Cinema - 2 again.

Are those two legit?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:
Hello,

Two clues we had yesterday:

1. 2 - 2. The clue meant that there are two two letter words.


That seems obviously against the rules:
Firm Rules wrote:
Your clue must be about the meaning of the
words. You can't use your clue to talk about
the letters in a word or its position on the table.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:
Hello,

Two clues we had yesterday:

1. 2 - 2. The clue meant that there are two two letter words.

2. Cinema - 2, twice. Once the guessers guessed the two correct words but they considered two other words. Next turn, the clue giver said Cinema - 2 again.

Are those two legit?

1. No.
2. Yes.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Badigel wrote:
Hello,

Two clues we had yesterday:

1. 2 - 2. The clue meant that there are two two letter words.


That seems obviously against the rules:
Firm Rules wrote:
Your clue must be about the meaning of the
words. You can't use your clue to talk about
the letters in a word or its position on the table.


I would have cited this part of the rules (for which the answer is still NO)

Quote:
You can't tie BUG, BED, and BOW together with a clue like b: 3 nor with a clue like three: 3.


5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:

2. Cinema - 2, twice. Once the guessers guessed the two correct words but they considered two other words. Next turn, the clue giver said Cinema - 2 again.

This was discussed before and it is totally legit. Though I'd not suggest doing that. If "cinema - 2" didn't leave the agents to the right cards last time, why should it work now? You could use, maybe a similar but more precise clue this time! Use your imagination!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:
Badigel wrote:

2. Cinema - 2, twice. Once the guessers guessed the two correct words but they considered two other words. Next turn, the clue giver said Cinema - 2 again.

This was discussed before and it is totally legit. Though I'd not suggest doing that. If "cinema - 2" didn't leave the agents to the right cards last time, why should it work now? You could use, maybe a similar but more precise clue this time! Use your imagination!
I think the OP is saying that the first two were correct, but the guessers considered two other words that happened to be on the right team. So Cinema-4 would've been better.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
Israel
flag msg tools
Avatar
aliallison wrote:
Anduin wrote:
Badigel wrote:

2. Cinema - 2, twice. Once the guessers guessed the two correct words but they considered two other words. Next turn, the clue giver said Cinema - 2 again.

This was discussed before and it is totally legit. Though I'd not suggest doing that. If "cinema - 2" didn't leave the agents to the right cards last time, why should it work now? You could use, maybe a similar but more precise clue this time! Use your imagination!
I think the OP is saying that the first two were correct, but the guessers considered two other words that happened to be on the right team. So Cinema-4 would've been better.


Exactly.
But the other two words were far from the word cinema.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:
Badigel wrote:

2. Cinema - 2, twice. Once the guessers guessed the two correct words but they considered two other words. Next turn, the clue giver said Cinema - 2 again.

This was discussed before and it is totally legit. Though I'd not suggest doing that. If "cinema - 2" didn't leave the agents to the right cards last time, why should it work now? You could use, maybe a similar but more precise clue this time! Use your imagination!


Only once out of several games did I do this. The reason besides naming other cards that I could have chosen but didn't think would link, is that they selected one I was thinking of and one I was not. Therefor they believed all the 'cinema' cards were gone (in my case the word was 'light'), while there was still the other one they mentioned, and the one I was thinking of.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:
But the other two words were far from the word cinema.


As the rules say, it's always a stretch. So long as your team make the connection, and it's not otherwise illegal, it's valid.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delith Malistar
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:
aliallison wrote:
Anduin wrote:
Badigel wrote:

2. Cinema - 2, twice. Once the guessers guessed the two correct words but they considered two other words. Next turn, the clue giver said Cinema - 2 again.

This was discussed before and it is totally legit. Though I'd not suggest doing that. If "cinema - 2" didn't leave the agents to the right cards last time, why should it work now? You could use, maybe a similar but more precise clue this time! Use your imagination!
I think the OP is saying that the first two were correct, but the guessers considered two other words that happened to be on the right team. So Cinema-4 would've been better.


Exactly.
But the other two words were far from the word cinema.


But the clue giver saw an opportunity here and took it. I think it was wickedly clever and applaud their ingenuity.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Second option totally legit. And part of the fun of the game. My team might not know what I mean when I say "WORD - 2" but if they get right answers based on how they interpret it, more power to them. And great laughs about that. "How did you get PEN for PARKER? I was going for SPIDER!"
I've given the same clue twice. Usually louder the second time since I can't circle it emphatically like in Pictionary ;)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.