$20.00
$60.00
Erik
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just about to place an order for Beyond Valor and thinking of getting counter trays at the same time. I like the idea of having the counter trays in the BV box itself for now. Does anyone know how may trays I can fit in that box, together with the maps? I have the regular GMT trays for my starter kit modules, are those also the best bet for BV, or should I got DVG deep dish?

Many thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Laurio
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For GMT trays, I reckon it should be at least 8 trays; 3 for Ger and Rus each, and 2 for the system counters. I use Chessex trays myself, but I think they're about the same size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
May I suggest that you go for Raaco boxes?

If you use the shallow GMT trays, you will quickly be overwhelmed by the number of counters.

You will need a minimal number of boxes, as you will have to have them handy when playing (not just for setup).

I use the Raaco 18 boxes (there are larger ones).
They are organised in the following way :
- 3 boxes for markers (1 for the most usual ones, 1 for markers that can appear during the game, 1 for markers only used on setup*).
- 2 boxes for Germans : Infantry** (+SW) and Vehicles/Guns*
- 2 boxes for Russians : Infantry (+SW) and Vehicles/Guns*

*Those boxes are only useful on setup.
** I have Hakkaa Päällë, so my Finnish units are stored in another box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks JP & Robin.

Are you also storing your respective solutions in the actual BV box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Leggat
United States
Newbury Park
California
flag msg tools
Plano 1701's for me. Five of 'em.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Laurio
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't store any ASL counters in the boxes, all my trays are in a cupboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Standard counter trays aren't practical for an entire ASL order of battle. They just don't hold enough counters and provide enough different slots. The Germans and Russians especially are huge sets of counters with dozens of different guns and hundreds of different vehicles. Planos are the standard inexpensive storage choice because they pack a lot more counters into a given space and provide better organization options. More exotic systems like Raaco or Hozan are even more efficient, but also extremely expensive. You'll pay more for a set of Hozans to house BV than you will for BV itself.

If you want to keep using your original boxes and also keep costs down you might consider some kind of hybrid system. Use counter trays for common system counters and infantry that you'll need to reduce/ELR. Guns, vehicles, and some of the more exotic system counters won't need to be accessible after scenario setup, so you can pack them away in a separate, more space-efficient manner. Coin envelopes are a nice tool for this since they can be easily labeled to indicate exactly what model gun/vehicle is inside. You could also label by vehicle note number to simplify matters. Or you could use Planos for those. Or binders with clear pages designed for slides. Solutions abound.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Laurio
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tppytel wrote:
Standard counter trays aren't practical for an entire ASL order of battle. They just don't hold enough counters and provide enough different slots.

I don't know, I've been happy with Chessex trays. It's two trays for the smaller nations and three for the bigger ones. Not that bad really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Pearson
England
Leicester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do the Raaco 18's compare to a service case system? Everything's prohibitively expensive here save for Chessex, and I just cant see how that would be practical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spiggie wrote:
Thanks JP & Robin.

Are you also storing your respective solutions in the actual BV box?
No.
I used some boxes to store my mounted maps, but I have switched to the SK style ones, which I store in binders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tppytel wrote:
Standard counter trays aren't practical for an entire ASL order of battle. They just don't hold enough counters and provide enough different slots. The Germans and Russians especially are huge sets of counters with dozens of different guns and hundreds of different vehicles. Planos are the standard inexpensive storage choice because they pack a lot more counters into a given space and provide better organization options. More exotic systems like Raaco or Hozan are even more efficient, but also extremely expensive. You'll pay more for a set of Hozans to house BV than you will for BV itself.
I suggested Raaco, because the OP comes from Sweden, and I don't think that Plano boxes can be found in Europe (so int the present case, the Planos would be "exotic").
As for the cost, a Raaco 18 costs about the equivalent of 10-15$.
One has to face the fact that ASL costs a lot.
For storage,the proverb that a cheap horse always costs too much applies well: using shallow and light trays will cause a lot of problems (spilled contents, needing multiple trays per nationality, etc.).
Purchasing sturdy boxes, with a "click" system which keeps them firmly shut (i.e. no risk of mixing up contents or opening when being transported and suffering shocks) is worth the price.
Just my opinion.
You Mileage may Vary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.