$30.00
$15.00
$20.00
$5.00
Matt Reynolds
United States
flag msg tools
In Haunt #78 (The Devil's Name), the Survival Guide clearly states that the Fiend is trying to destroy the Tomes of Lore and that "he can do so in the Furnace Room or the Kitchen... For each Tome destroyed, the mystery of the Fiend's name becomes more elusive". However, the Traitor's Tome says nothing about this; in fact, it states that the Traitor/Fiend cannot even touch the Tomes of Lore, and that their sole objective is to possess or kill all of the heroes. Nothing is said in the Traitor's Tome about destroying the Tomes of Lore before the heroes can reach them.

I could see if it is designed so that the heroes, once possessed, would know and be able to carry the Tomes to the places where they could be destroyed, but the Fiend would have no knowledge of this or ability to help them achieve this goal. If that were the case, it should be made more clear in the writing of this haunt, though that is only speculation.

Is this a flaw in the writing of this Haunt? Has anyone else run into this issue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We had the same issue, with a bit of a twist.

The Traitor's Tome says heroes who fail to guess the name are possessed (see special attack rules). Then under special attack rules, it says the traitor can make a Knowledge attack to possess a hero.

Our traitor read that as, once a hero incorrectly guesses the name, she can make a Knowledge attack to possess us.

Upon further discussion, it should be more clear in the Traitor's Tome that the traitor can make a Knowledge attack to possess a hero. I get the 'cool factor' of discovering that the Tomes can be destroyed by a possessed hero instead of saying it explicitly, but that's a path that takes a while to work itself out. If the traitor has a weapon, they might just try to kill everyone while the heroes make the Tome roles.

Our traitor said something during the game about "I guess I just have to go attack you with this Spear". We kept asking if there was anything in there about destroying the Tomes, trying to hint at it. We even had a third party who arrived mid game read the Traitor's Tome to see if something was missed. He's a BaHotH veteran that's been playing since 2004 and he couldn't put it together either.

I don't think it will happen in all circles. I think some players will see the Knowledge stat boost and infer from the special attack rules that they will gain more value with possessed heroes to help them (after all, making a 1v3 or 1v4 into a 2v2 or 2v3 is pretty useful). Unfortunately I feel that this haunt is a departure from traditional BaHotH haunts where casual gamers can easily parse the information in the Traitor's Tome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacy Vargas
United States
lancaster
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I got confused on trying to gused the name. The name had no letter in the 1st column, and 2 in the 2nd. And 1 in the rest. For some reason it didn't make any sense. Any clarification on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Johnston
Canada
flag msg tools
We just played this last night. Not only does it not mention the destroying of the tomes in the Traitor's guide, it doesn't mention how they are destroyed in the Survivor's guide either. Do they get automatically destroyed when they are brought into one of the two rooms? In older haunts it actually mentioned how to destroy things: ie spend a turn in one of the rooms while holding the object that you needed to destroy.

There are also a ton of grammatical errors/missing words. The door icons are more orange instead of yellow and are missing the yellow "glow" effect that the main game's doors have. The title font on all of the cards is different to the title font on the main game's cards, missing the speed roll and ghost tokens, etc.

There are so many errors and inconsistencies, like no real love or thought went into it.

Also, there are quite a few mentions of speed rolls on tiles and cards. Are we supposed to roll for movement now? We have always done this as a house rule, as you have to roll for every other trait it only makes sense. It seems like this house rule was applied to the main game but assumed everyone already used it without making note of the change in the updated rules section of the haunt chart. The merperson haunt specifically mentions rolling two fewer dice for movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T PLX
msg tools
> Are [players] supposed to roll for movement now?

No. The core rulebook says on page 6 under Movement: "On your turn, you can move up to a number of spaces equal to your character's current Speed." You only roll movement for Monsters (pg.18) and if their movement roll is a 0, they can always move at least 1 space, unless otherwise specified.

As for the Speed Roll Tokens, those can be found here:
http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/widows_walk_tokens.p...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.