BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Help me choose?? (Ashes rise of the phoenixborn) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the art work i my head Ashes rise of the Phoenixborn is one of the most beautiful games out there. I have watch it played on youtube but i Can not decide to buy it or not. I already own smash up im afraid that phoenixborn is lot of the same (Like smash up) summon blue Jaguar Then buff the card and attack?

Anyone in here with these two game there Can answer me if the two games Are alot the same?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might get better answers in the Ashes game forums, but in my opinion, Ashes plays nothing like Smash Up. The guys over at Shutup and Sit Down just did a nice video review of Ashes that is worth watching. They describe Ashes as a Dance. It's not always best to buff and attack, sometimes is better to wait and unleash after your opponent has exhausted their forces trying to get at you. It's a much more subtle and nuanced game than it first appears.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashes has dice for resources to play the cards. You only really need the cards for Smash Up. There's no area control in Ashes. It is more beat 'em up. Deck construction in Smash up is shuffling two decks together and going. In Ashes, you can spend a lot of time if you want tweaking decks on a card by card basis. Smash Up plays multiplayer better. You can play Ashes multiplayer, but some decks might need to be tweaked, or some Phoenixborn might be skipped due to their strength being for 2-player matches. Decks in Ashes tend to be fairly balanced. Smash Up...(shakes Magic 8-Ball)...Check back later. I like Ashes better as a game, but I would lean on playing it 2-player and Smash Up with more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im so close to buy it right now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.