Antoine Irisson
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a game yesterday where this situation happened :

A1 A2 A3
B1 B2 B3

My A1 player pushed back B2 and I was wondering if I could do the free follow-up move into his space passing between A2 and B1 or if it was forbidden.

Likewise in this situation :

A1 A2 A3
B1 B2 B3
__ B4 __

If my A1 player push back B2, is he knocked down or can he go in the space behind B3?

In short : does the rule which forbid a player to move diagonally between two other players applies at all time or just when you move?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
moon rally
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I think you can only move between players if you have the Squeeze Play skill, regardless of the situation, so B2 is pushed back but A1 remains in his space and in the second situation B2 would be knocked down... That's how I'm reading it, but I could be wrong. Brent?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Irisson
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played it that way indeed because it seemed logical but if Brent could give us his opinion so we can be fixed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
moonrally wrote:
I think you can only move between players if you have the Squeeze Play skill, regardless of the situation, so B2 is pushed back but A1 remains in his space and in the second situation B2 would be knocked down... That's how I'm reading it, but I could be wrong. Brent?

Rekka wrote:
We played it that way indeed because it seemed logical but if Brent could give us his opinion so we can be fixed.

You played it both logically and correctly. The only way that a player may move across a diagonal that has two players on either side it is by having the squeeze play skill. As you've already noted, you can target players across those diagonals with actions like block, tackle, juke, shake, etc.

On a related note, if Harry Danders jukes a player across a diagonal like in the situation above, then he does have the option to perform the free follow up move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Nace
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, if B2 had the squeeze play skill in the second scenario, would he then be pushed back instead of knocked down?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandeminatic wrote:
So, if B2 had the squeeze play skill in the second scenario, would he then be pushed back instead of knocked down?

B2 would be knocked down. Squeeze play is only used when you are moving [including a free follow-up move]. Since he's being blocked, he would be knocked down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Irisson
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all these clarifications Brent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.