Hide
10 Posts

Bios: Genesis» Forums » Rules

Subject: Aftershock - event order rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vladislav Smihula
Slovakia
Bratislava (Pressburg, Pozsony, Posonium, Presporok, Wilsonstadt, Bressalauspurch, Preslava, Istropolis)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If Aftershock, in which order I have to apply events? From D3 -> D10 or I have to start with leftmost event on Aftershock card?
thnx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had the exact same question in our first play yesterday.
The living rules say:
Quote:
• Apply from left to right each of the card’s event icons to all players (D3 to D10). If it is an aftershock, then apply from left to right the next card’s event icons as well. (Exception: see D5 and D6 for order of X and O2 events.)

So we went with left-to-right order, except for the events in which multiple icons are combined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wormaap wrote:
The living rules say:
Quote:
• Apply from left to right each of the card’s event icons to all players (D3 to D10). If it is an aftershock, then apply from left to right the next card’s event icons as well. (Exception: see D5 and D6 for order of X and O2 events.)

So we went with left-to-right order, except for the events in which multiple icons are combined.

Note the word "then" in the quote. First, left-to-right apply the aftershock events, combining X and O2 icons with the next card(s), then go one by one oldest to newest cards for the rest of the icons, left-to-right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coralsaw wrote:
Wormaap wrote:
The living rules say:
Quote:

Note the word "then" in the quote. First, left-to-right apply the aftershock events, combining X and O2 icons with the next card(s), then go one by one oldest to newest cards for the rest of the icons, left-to-right.

It appears that my post wasn't entirely clear, since that is what we did. Or am I not entirely understanding yours?
We went from left to right, first the icons on the first card, then the ones on the second card (and third and...). The only exception is that we combined the O2 and Extremophile icons and triggered them when the first one appeared.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You played right. Usually the "next" card is splayed to the left, so I thought you played that first and then the old card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I am very confused. Came here searching for the same answer, bu haven't really understood the answers.

So generally, I apply icons D03-D10 in order from left to right. But what happens if I have aftershocks and the follow-up cards?

Say I draw "Comet Impactor" first, then draw "Oceans Rust Out" and finally "Nitrogen Famine". How do I apply the event icons on these cards?
1. all CI symbols first, then all ORO symbols, then all NF symbols
2. The four Smite symbols first, then the Cancer symbol, then the three Extremophile symbols, then the Ultraviolet Radiation symbol, then Global Warmin, followed by Drought, +heaven and the three Oxygen Spike symbols
3. any other order (and which one)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, you make Oceanic and Coastal landforms active, the others inactive and roil the appropriate decks.

Then, Smite first and that is Smite x 4.
Next is Cancer.
Next, Extremophile x 3.
Then UV.
Then Drought.
Then Heaven event, so a Refugium appears.
Finally, O2 spike (x3).

Also note that there was a single global warming icon among the 3 cards.

Just work left to right and apply the icons as you encounter them. If one appears on multiple cards, include all those instances when you encounter the first one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves St-Denis
Switzerland
Basel
BS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too find this rule a bit confusing.
If I understand well, only the Extremophile Crisis and the Oxygen Spike are combined, but the rest will follow the left to right sequence of the cards (if one Aftershock is followed by one event card)

So in the example above, I would:

1) Resolve the first Smite Event on the left, on all the Refugia without Resiliency;
2) Resolve Drought (not a problem, as I have no terrestrial macroorganisms);
3) Resolve Ultraviolet Radiation (eliminate all mutations in excess of 1 for microorganisms without enough UV shield protection);
4) Resolve Cancer (not a problem as no macroorganisms);
5) Resolve +Earth;
6) Resolve the second Smite Event (poor Refugia... badly hit!);
7) Resolve Cancer a second time (not a problem...);
8) Resolve Extremophile Crisis (Extremity= 2)
9) Resolve Ultraviolet Radiation a second time (higher limit than the first, so no effect);

Is that correct?
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a good question. I posted a question in the Living Rules about that, so hopefully Phil will respond to clarify.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
YJASTD wrote:
I too find this rule a bit confusing.
If I understand well, only the Extremophile Crisis and the Oxygen Spike are combined, but the rest will follow the left to right sequence of the cards (if one Aftershock is followed by one event card)

So in the example above, I would:

1) Resolve the first Smite Event on the left, on all the Refugia without Resiliency;
2) Resolve Drought (not a problem, as I have no terrestrial macroorganisms);
3) Resolve Ultraviolet Radiation (eliminate all mutations in excess of 1 for microorganisms without enough UV shield protection);
4) Resolve Cancer (not a problem as no macroorganisms);
5) Resolve +Earth;
6) Resolve the second Smite Event (poor Refugia... badly hit!);
7) Resolve Cancer a second time (not a problem...);
8) Resolve Extremophile Crisis (Extremity= 2)
9) Resolve Ultraviolet Radiation a second time (higher limit than the first, so no effect);

Is that correct?
Thanks!

I think, RAW, specify: aftershock card left to right (except all X/O together from both cards when you encounter the first X/O2), then left to right remaining symbols on the next card. Thus:

6, 7, 8, 9, Set landforms, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.