Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Bogert
Japan
Amagasaki
Hyogo
flag msg tools
http://chrisbogert.wixsite.com/chaturanga-family
mbmbmbmbmb
Been searching for a nice wooden set of Janggi pieces and a folding board. Can't find one I'm satisfied with except direct from Korea.. but they get really expensive ($200~$600 for the pieces only). I total understand that cost for hand-made sets, but can' afford that.

So, my first attempt at making a set began. It is a bit rough, but that gives it some charm. Here is how I made it:

1.) I spent a total of 500yen ($5) for a bag of scrap dowels of three different sizes. Not the best wood obviously, but for a first attempt fine.

2.)Took them home, cut the small ones to 1 cm tall, medium size ones to 1.5cm tall and the big one to 2.5cm tall.

3.)Then drew out a rough octagon and used a chisel to chop them all into octagons.

4.) Next I actually wrote all the kanji (Hanja as they are called in Korean) onto the pieces (seems like I would stain them first, but didn't seem to make any difference).
For the black I simply used a permanent oil ink.
For the red I used the same, but went over them with paint to make them brighter.

5.) Then I used a wood stain (from the 100yen($1) shop!)

6.) Then I gave them a clear coating, sticking with my cheap materials I used woodglue in a thin coating which surprisingly worked wonderfully.

7.) Finally, although traditionally not done, I gave them all a black felt base like western chess pieces have.

How I made the hinged folding board:

1.) Bought a 45x45cm piece of laminated wood and had the fellow at the home center cut it in half across the grain so the fold will be in the center between players.

2.) Bought some small hinges for 128yen and went home.

3.) First I drew in where the hinges would be and chiseled out spaces so the hinges are flush with the board, and screwed them on.

4.) Measued out the 9x10 board and added the palace areas. Used an oil pen to drew in all the lines.

5.) Finally drew in a quick pattern around the edges of the board so it would be less dull looking. The end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done. It's gorgeous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bogert
Japan
Amagasaki
Hyogo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

Cheap, easy to make. The hardest part was making all the octagons.
I found hexagon sticks, but wouldn't be quite the same.

Next time I think I will look for better hardwood. I will also carve out all the kanji. I've already been practicing carving a few pieces to see what works best (I have a bunch of woodblock printing knives, gouges and chisels that work great for this).

Thinking of going with a seal script for the Han player (check out my PnP board post to see what that looks like: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1507484/pnp-janggi-board )
For the Cho player probably the usual stylistic calligraphy.

Always wanted a set of seal script Shogi pieces, but they are so expensive and rather rare. So this would be a chance to make seal script pieces.

Also for the board, I will keep checking the thrift shops for old worn out thick wood go boards with legs and repurpose it as a janggi board. That would be really cool looking. Just sand down the surfaces add the board lines and you have a board that looks like one of the $300 boards, but made for like $30-40.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bogert
Japan
Amagasaki
Hyogo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Started a nicer set. First time carving the pieces, and it is turning out cool looking. Still cheap wood, but all I can get at the local hardware store.
I'll have to check online for nicer stuff, or find another shop.

Still getting used to carving so small. Started to work on some shogi pieces as well.
Just finished my Chu-shogi set, hand-written not carved. But it looks pretty cool. I'll post some pics over on the Chu-shogi forum later

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.