Subject: E1: Can catalysts be assigned without bionts? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Sarjant
Netherlands
Wageningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or more specifically, assume I already have a biont existing on a refugium in an active row. Can I add a catalyst to this existing refugium (to make Manna/Enzyme Death less likely)?

Alternatively, is it possible to add a catalyst to an active refugium you do not have a biont in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
In E1 (second bullet) it specifies where you can assign.

"You can only assign Bionts and Enzymes to Refugia in the home row (E2) of one of your Organisms or in an active row (D2)."

Therefore, to answer your two questions, Yes and Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladislav Smihula
Slovakia
Bratislava (Pressburg, Pozsony, Posonium, Presporok, Wilsonstadt, Bressalauspurch, Preslava, Istropolis)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Organism is one on my tableau? Organism with my biont (foreign gene) isnt "my organism". Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Under E6:

Quote:
Commandeering. If all your Bionts from one of your Microorganisms are lost, but it has a Foreign Gene, it becomes part
of the foreign player’s tableau. If it is Bacteria, physically move it to the foreigner’s tableau,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Bedz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gaspar wrote:
My Organism is one on my tableau? Organism with my biont (foreign gene) isnt "my organism". Correct?

It is never yours. It just resides on your tableau.
As long as it has your Biont your are "in command". When all your bionts will be gone from this organism - it moves to tableau of other player (if organism has foreign gene(s)). Otherwise - it goes extinct and you keep it placard/card as a trophy (VP).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
misioooo wrote:
It is never yours. It just resides on your tableau.
As long as it has your Biont your are "in command".

This is a strange distinction. The rules refer to organisms that are "yours": micro- and macroorganisms in your tableau and parasites of your color in any tableau. If your micro- or macroorganisms lose your biont, then they can change tableaus to become someone else's to own.

What is the distinction you are trying to make by saying you are in command vs. owning an organism?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
When the rules state "your" organism, this means an Organism in your Tableau.

The hardest detail about the game Bios: Genesis, from the perspective of a rules-writer, was trying to maintain player identity. In most games, it is clear that cards, tokens, and "money" are "yours", to be spent or disbursed as you wish.

In this game, the bionts are always yours, and non-parasite organisms in your Tableau are yours as well. Yet "your" organism may count VP partially for other players, and those other players may spend "money" in your account for this organism. And it may have parasites which are not yours as well.

The commandeering rule is a way for you to transfer an organism from one Tableau to your Tableau. This makes it yours. Yet other players owning bionts or parasites in "your" organism still enjoy some rights of ownership.

We may think of our bodies as "ours", yet most of the energy we generate is commanded by former parasites, called mitochondria, with their own genome and thus their own agenda. So we are not quite ourselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
phileklund wrote:
So we are not quite ourselves.

QFT

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyrill Melai
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Once I could recite whole episodes of Dexter's Laboratory.
mbmbmbmbmb
phileklund wrote:
When the rules state "your" organism, this means an Organism in your Tableau.

But what are parasites and hyperparasites then, which may or may not reside in your tableau?

Yours or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The parasite card you start the game with is your parasite wherever it resides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyrill Melai
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Once I could recite whole episodes of Dexter's Laboratory.
mbmbmbmbmb
arjisme wrote:
The parasite card you start the game with is your parasite wherever it resides.

Of course, but is it your organism whenever the rule refers to your organisms?

Afaik, a parasite is an organism and it is yours if it has your biont on it, but more often then not it isn't in your tableau.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is your organism. I don't have the rules in front of me but look up "organism" in the glossary. And remember, parasites, by definition, DON'T reside in their owner's tableau (hyperparasites are another story).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed with Rich, which is why I specified "non-parasite organisms" in my thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.