Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is my understanding correct that when playing solo you start with the usual 3 matter + 3 energy on Earth, and from level 2 onward you start with additional resources based on your previous score?

Or do you start with 0 resources??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Sacchi
Italy
SUNO
Unspecified
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
No, in the first level you start with 0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whaaaat?! Amazing, I had trouble on easy level 1 starting with 3 matter and energy...very challenging, nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Lola Cat 2010-2014
mbmbmbmbmb
DAMN IT I played it wrong last night. I was so happy about getting 30 points on Level 1 of the easy campaign. I guess I have to play it again correctly! Thanks for clarifying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It says something like put your usual resources on your card instead of Earth (so presumably you have more resources you can produce?) and then put resources from the objectives on Earth? I have no idea what that means.

I'm going to start with the normal resources on Earth anyway though. First because I want it to more closely mimic the normal game, second because I hate slow starts, and third because I want my first game (and maybe all my games we'll see) easier. I loathe super hard solitaires.

I wouldn't mind knowing what they mean by "Place the Resources indicated in the OBJECTIVES AND RESOURCES section on the Earth card." though. It implies it's a setup thing, even though it's in the How to Play section of the solitaire rules. Especially as if they mean your rewards as you get to each level, then I think there is no reward at level 1. Very confusing. I guess English isn't their first language. That said it's not a bad job with English.

Really like the theme of the game so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spangler
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was totally confused by the solo rules, thinking I had to complete all 4 Objectives in a single 16-round game! Impossible, especially trying to hit all those Victory Point levels.

Finally realized each "level" is a single game with a single objective. If I complete the first 16-round game objective (level 1) of terraforming an outer range planet and gain 40+ victory points in so doing (which means I have to terraform other planets as well), then I get the bonus listed to start Level 2, and so on.

As you say, English is not their first language so there are some oddities in the rules in terms of words or expressions. Still, it IS pretty clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DSpangler wrote:
I was totally confused by the solo rules, thinking I had to complete all 4 Objectives in a single 16-round game! Impossible, especially trying to hit all those Victory Point levels.

Finally realized each "level" is a single game with a single objective. If I complete the first 16-round game objective (level 1) of terraforming an outer range planet and gain 40+ victory points in so doing (which means I have to terraform other planets as well), then I get the bonus listed to start Level 2, and so on.

As you say, English is not their first language so there are some oddities in the rules in terms of words or expressions. Still, it IS pretty clear.

Actually I don't think that is the case. Game 1 you have 1 objective (terraform something at the edge of the board). Game 2 you have that same objective and 1 more. Third game those 2 objectives and 1 more. Fourth game 4 objectives.

But you can win. Those four objectives are actually pretty compatible if you use the "campaigns" listed in the book. Course I say that and as you can see above, I modified the rules to give me normal starting resources and in the last game I was producing from planets outside the system.

Frankly, I like the game but am not that jazzed by the solo mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure the English rulebook was written by a native speaker.

Anyway, it clearly states what David said: the objectives are cumulative throughout a single campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristian Dirtu
Romania
Iasi
Iasi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that:
"Place the Resources indicated in the OBJECTIVES AND RESOURCES section on the Earth card."
means:
"Place the Resources on the Earth card as indicated in the OBJECTIVES AND RESOURCES section from these solo rules."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
homeycd wrote:
I think that:
"Place the Resources indicated in the OBJECTIVES AND RESOURCES section on the Earth card."
means:
"Place the Resources on the Earth card as indicated in the OBJECTIVES AND RESOURCES section from these solo rules."

Indeed, I think that's the only instance they could have written in a clearer way. Still, since there's no objectives and resource section displayed on the Earth card...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though I was playing with a variant rule (normal resources for 2 player game rather than no resources) for the first 3 games and another variant rule about how resources were produced for game 4, at least under those circumstances, I thought the objectives interlocked such that you needed a couple of different kinds of planets and one in the far region and feel like those objectives were achievable.

I don't see this in the same category as Ghost Stories or Robinson Crusoe in terms of how hard the game is. And it is fun, as long as you have the right expectations. Nice theme, innovative "closed system" rules -- it's all about scarce resources.

I loosened it up because I wanted to have an easier time and more fun playing, especially toward the end. I didn't feel bad about using normal resources, that "no resources" thing is just a misguided attempt to make the game harder on solo mode (which I hate). The closed system is cool and I played it the first 3 games but I wanted things to open up a little at the end with planets producing outside the closed system. But there was nothing wrong with the original rules, they are very interesting and I really like the look of the game and the theme.

Haven't played in 2 player yet, but when I do I'll go back to the standard rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.