Popular Tags: [View All]
Anders Berfner
Sweden
Borås
Sverige
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
Just finalized the rules after purchased the game at Essen.

One thing I don't get is why you ever should pay back you loans?
When you take a loan you instantly lose in VP, so that one is already gone.
You get 10 ECU by taking it, and you pay 1 ECU in interest each round. Since there are 7 rounds you pay back max 6 ECU. Net income 4 ECU (minimum), but you lose one action (which is bad but you have decided to go there so...).
At the end (or whenever) you have the option to repay them for 10 ECU / loan.

Final scoring you get 1 VP for each set of 5 ECU, and each unpaid loan gives you -2 VP. So in terms of VP they are break even.
Tiebreaker is then most money, so you might actually loose the whole game by repaying your loans... or am I missing something?

Looking forward to play the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sotiris Tsantilas
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Anders

If you pay back your loan at the end of the game, then there's no difference. But if you manage to pay it back on a previous round, let's say on 4th, then you gain 3 ECU which you should have payed as interest for the remaining rounds. Notice that for paying back loans you don't need a manager, so you actually have saved 3 ECU for free.

Hope that helps

Sotirios
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Berfner
Sweden
Borås
Sverige
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answer, but here I think our views of this differ.

To me that move seems stupid. The only thing you are doing by paying back your loan mid game is that you reduce your capital, thus not being able to invest in more VP generating stuff.

You can not argue saving 3 ECU when you have to pay 10 ECU to do so (which in reality mean a loss of 7 ECU). If you would save by doing it you shouldn't have taken the loan from the beginning ("saving" 10 ECU). Not correct in my view.

Anyway, thanks for responding! Now I know I understood the rule correct. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sotiris Tsantilas
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
After your first play, you'll see that for the first couple of rounds money are very tight. So, you need a big boost - like in real economy - to start your business. But sometimes, in the next rounds you may have more money than you need, so why not paying back the loans, if you haven't found any other opportunity to invest in a better ratio than 5(ECU)/1(VP)?

Saying that, I have to admit, that I always pay my loans only at the end of the game.
Just to avoid the penalty card thing, which is basically the same.

I'm sure that you'll enjoy the game!

Sotirios
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Favazza
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because if the game ends due to financial collapse then money is worthless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Duchesne
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If the game ends because of financial collapse loans are also nullified.

There is an advantage to pay loans as soon as possible. Here is an example:

- Take a loan on round 2. Get 10 credits, lose 1 VP, -2 VP at the end of the game if you don't pay it back.

Assuming there is no financial collapse
Scenario 1: You pay the loan at the end of the game
- You have paid 5 credits in interest + 10 credits to pay back your loan
- You end up having paid a total 5 credits for your loan (10(loan) - 5(interests) - 10(payback loan)). Note that 5 credits at the end of the game would win you 1 VP.

Scenario 2: You pay your loan on round 3 before paying any interest
- You pay 0 interest, you pay 10 credits to repay your loan.
- You end up having paid 0 for your loan, so you'd have 1 more VP at the end of the game than if you went with scenario 1.

Take any scenario between 1 and 2 where you pay your loan at a subsequent round, and you still end up with a benefit if you pay your loan early, assuming Axia doesn't collapse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.