XCOM: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Ending Timed Phase... Question! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I mean to ask to those who have "cracked" the app or who have read its content *without spoiling any info*, if the "ending timed phase" countdown needs to be stopped with "done" or if it is safe to let it expire to 00:00.

When players don't meet the countdown requirements, all phases will add to new threats in the next turn... but what about the end timed phase? Is it safe to let it expire or does this ALSO need to be stopped before it reaches 0?

Just to make sure... I do stop it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite.
Only letting "alien actions" run out has an effect on the game, reducing the amount of time you have avaliable for the next action.

Letting the time run out on player actions doesn't do anything. Ending them early adds time to the "pause reserve". Unused "pause time" is added to the end time phase at the end of the round. When it runs out, the resolution phase of the game begins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm not really sure it makes sense and would like confirmation on this by someone who saw the code of the app... but I can't just go to that thread and read it because it would spoil the game.

The alien actions are either adding a card (2 seconds) or put UFOs on the board (2 seconds) or pick the crisis cards (alright, up to 10 seconds). It's very unlikely the time can expire here... time is much more likely to expire when there's player choices involved (decisions to make).

It's the last one you mentioned "unused pause time", which is added to the ending time phase at the end of the timed phase the object of present question but it's true for all the phases at this point.

I wish to know which sections of the timed phase, when going overtime, add threats to the next round's timed phase. I mean... I wish to know FOR SURE.

(did you look at the code? Can you confirm the ending time phase when DONE button is not pressed doesn't make things harder?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baker
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
joetaco wrote:
Letting the time run out on player actions doesn't do anything.

Actually, if the time runs out on a player action, you are supposed to forfeit that action. For example, if you couldn't decide where to send the Interceptors, then you don't get any. If you can't choose between two crisis cards in time, you get them both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
GShock112 wrote:

I wish to know which sections of the timed phase, when going overtime, add threats to the next round's timed phase. I mean... I wish to know FOR SURE.

None. The only hidden effect of that when alien events run out of time, pause time starts to be consumed and event timers in that round are reduced. Once pause time is at 0 there is no further penalty for sitting on the event forever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
HolisticDeveloper wrote:
joetaco wrote:
Letting the time run out on player actions doesn't do anything.

Actually, if the time runs out on a player action, you are supposed to forfeit that action. For example, if you couldn't decide where to send the Interceptors, then you don't get any. If you can't choose between two crisis cards in time, you get them both.

You are incorrect for the second part. Choosing crisis cards is an alien action, not a player action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I know, technically it's "red" so it's an alien action but the alien has no player so the players do it all, that's what I was meaning.

What I want to know is what triggers an increase in alien activity for the next round and what doesn't if you fail to hit the DONE button before the timer expires.

I'd like something CERTAIN... if not official from the DEVs, at least someone who has peeked into the application and can solve the riddle saying: "this is what happens when you don't hit DONE in time in these phases: a, b, c, d, etc.".

That includes, of course, the "ending timed phase" and its timer.

EDIT: didn't see your post, Bruce, sorry. Are you *SURE* there's no increase of alien activity if you go "overtime" in one of the timed sub-phases?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
GShock112 wrote:
EDIT: didn't see your post, Bruce, sorry. Are you *SURE* there's no increase of alien activity if you go "overtime" in one of the timed sub-phases?

I'm the one who posted the break down of how the app works, so that is as good as you are going to get. I do find it odd that you keep insisting you need to know this for certain, particularly as you have asked for no spoilers, I am not sure what you are trying to achieve here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I didn't know it was you who saw the app.

I just wanted to make sure that whoever answered my question gave a definitive answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.