Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
cory swafford
United States
Waterbury
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What options are there for thinning your deck? I gave a look at the first few game boxes and saw no way of thinning. Am I missing something or do you just crease huge decks? It seems that with only one use for the currency that you would be purchasing a bunch of cards that will bloat your deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mercurycs wrote:
What options are there for thinning your deck? I gave a look at the first few game boxes and saw no way of thinning. Am I missing something or do you just crease huge decks? It seems that with only one use for the currency that you would be purchasing a bunch of cards that will bloat your deck.

You don't. There are no trashing cards permenantly.

Instead you have to rely on deck acceleration through card draw events to get past the less useful cards in the deck.

Also in later years there are reasons you want less powerful cards in the deck, it makes some decisions easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moo Cow
msg tools
Like the person above me said, you don't.

I'll add that, no - you don't just keep making your deck bigger and bigger. You're not trying to build the biggest deck, you'll trying to build the best deck you can. That generally means just buying the right cards for that deck and knowing when to not buy and when your deck is where it wants to be and doesn't need to be added to. Just because you can buy cards, doesn't mean you should.

Unfortunately, there's also no way to eliminate cards from the buy section; which can mean just the wrong cards being available all game. I do wish they had some sort of Banish function in this game that would allow us to at least remove cards from the Hogwarts Deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There was an official variant that allowed a single flush of the market (per game) in lieu of making a purchase.

I'll be honest though I've never felt that need.

If each character focuses on what they're good at and periodically someone takes a hit for the team to clear out an unwanted card (especially towards the end of the game when you're unlikely to ever see a purchase and are just prepping the offer for Time Turner / Sorting Hat / Wingosium tricks), everything seems to work out well.

Now -- when someone decides that they have to buy the best card they can every time, regardless of protestations from the three other players, the game will end in flames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if you saw this but your deck resets to back to 10 cards at the start of every new game box. At least through year 4 it does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Jandt
msg tools
mb
I will say that as the game goes on you will welcome some of those starting cards. Certain negative affects are only prevented by them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cook
United States
Spanaway
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played year 1 and 2 with my wife, but I would be interested to know about how many times per game some who have played more have chosen not to buy anything. If it is very rarely I can see the variant of once per game flushing the market, but if it is more I would be interested if it might be better to allow you to pass and flush 1 or 2 cards every time you pass. Or maybe for each coin (or 2) you had you can get rid of one card from the market. Might make it more enticing to those who resist not buying. Or maybe you always have the option of pushing a card out with 2 coins whether you buy or not. So you can use a coin or two to get rid of a card from the market and then buy, or you can buy a card you want that is cheaper, and then when you see the new market get rid of the least desirable card. Just some ideas from someone who hasn't played much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moo Cow
msg tools
I just want to clarify for some of the posts above me - he's asking if you can remove cards from your deck; not from the Hogwarts Deck (which is seems a few people think he means).

Most Deckbuilding games have a way to remove cards from your own deck in one way or another; this game doesn't have any such way.

So it's not about the market, or buying or flushing cards. He's talking about removing cards you no longer want in your deck once they're in there (starting cards or not).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once I have played all 7 games I am going to try out a variant that allows wingardium Leviosa to take a card from your hand and place it on the bottom of the market deck/ or out of play instead of its normal effect ( player's choice when played).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sponkey21 wrote:
I would be interested to know about how many times per game some who have played more have chosen not to buy anything.

In the beginning of each game, I almost always buy something. In the middle of the game, I will usually buy something, but I'll typically skip all the 2-cost cards and would only buy a 3-cost card if it has a benefit that works well with my character or deck. Towards the end of the game, I'm only buying cards if they're very good. If you have a bunch of cards in your deck that cost 4 or more, buying a card that costs 2 or 3 will probably make your deck worse, not better.

Regarding the original post, no you cannot "trash" cards from your hero's deck, but there are plenty of opportunities to discard those Alohomoras, either because an event or villain makes you discard something or because you have an ability that allows you to discard cards to do better stuff. So, they're not completely useless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.