Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Robison
United States
Lynden
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I subscribed to this game because I'm really excited about it, but ever since it's release there has been a ton of threads popping up of people bring clarification on a number of the haunts. Should I be concerned?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Be afraid...be very afraid...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Clensy
United States
Glenbrook
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The original also had a lot of errata and needed many clarifications. I think that is part of the nature of this type of game. It seems it would be very difficult to catch everything. It is best if your group is open to viewing this as an experience rather than a game and that there will be times when people have to go with the flow and find consensus on the sticky parts.

The problem really comes in the fact that when the haunt comes a new player may experience confusion and there is no way for an experienced player to help if they are on the other team.

I love Betrayal but this is the entire reason that I am frequently hesitant to bring it out with new people. The confusion can be frustrating for certain types of people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji T
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to opine here about how i play the game.

When i first received Betrayal, i was already aware of the shortcomings of the rulebook. After unboxing and going through the ritual baggy-ing, i immediately printed Universal Head's summary/reference, and stuck it in the box. It was short, to the point, and easy to teach from.

I've yet to open the original rulebook, after 10-15 games. So far, everything is in the summary/reference, and anything that wasn't in it, we made a ruling (not rule) about how to settle it in the most sensible way.

Perfect solution? No. Awesome solution that has allowed me to enjoy the game thoroughly? Yes.

So perhaps this is a "warts and all" kind of thing. Make ad hoc rulings about whatever doesn't make sense or isn't explained. It's a haunted house after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Clensy
United States
Glenbrook
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
benjamintham wrote:
I'd like to opine here about how i play the game.

When i first received Betrayal, i was already aware of the shortcomings of the rulebook. After unboxing and going through the ritual baggy-ing, i immediately printed Universal Head's summary/reference, and stuck it in the box. It was short, to the point, and easy to teach from.

I've yet to open the original rulebook, after 10-15 games. So far, everything is in the summary/reference, and anything that wasn't in it, we made a ruling (not rule) about how to settle it in the most sensible way.

Perfect solution? No. Awesome solution that has allowed me to enjoy the game thoroughly? Yes.

So perhaps this is a "warts and all" kind of thing. Make ad hoc rulings about whatever doesn't make sense or isn't explained. It's a haunted house after all.

This is really how I play it too and it works most of the time. It's just not something that works for a certain kind of person who likes the rules to be set. I have run into them from time to time.

It's good to be aware of this before purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
DanielRobison wrote:
So, I subscribed to this game because I'm really excited about it, but ever since it's release there has been a ton of threads popping up of people bring clarification on a number of the haunts. Should I be concerned?

Welcome to a wizards game.

I'd highly recommend getting it. Super fun, a ton of replay-ability and easy to get new people into without a lot of rule memorizing.

But it does have it's downsides, the cardboard's on the cheap side, the mini's are hideous and the directions will at times be ambiguous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Robison
United States
Lynden
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Yeah, I own and really enjoy BatHotH, and have Widows Walk pre-ordered (won't ship to me until Robinson Crusoe is available). So I'm aware of the issues with the original but was a little concern with the onslaught of questions for the expansion. From the sounds of it it looks like we're par for the course on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.