BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Any card games similar to poker? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Are there any card games that use custom decks (not standard pack of cards) that have the feel of poker? Mainly the bluffing part but they can have bidding and things like that as well. Something that is also relatively easy to pick up and start playing. Thanks guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
The first idea that popped into my head was Colossal Arena. Not sure how well it fits what you're looking for, but it's got a certain amount of bidding and bluffing.

Auction games, in general, might also be interesting to you, although I certainly wouldn't say they're "like poker." Examples: Ra, Modern Art

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Zepecki
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out theomachy: the ancients. If it's up your alley I have an extra copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Havoc: The Hundred Years War fits the bill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Die drei ??? und der geheimnisvolle
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmb
Schotten Totten is a good game where you assign cards to form three-card combinations, and there may be some implicit bluffing and second-guessing as to who can complete what combinations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three-Dragon Ante: Emperor's Gambit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hocus is the best short simple replacement I've seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kranzel
United States
Piedmont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandánte is the panda version of poker. It's got special powers you can earn, and you can lie about what cards you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff MacDonald
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at Doomtown Reloaded. It's a western themed game and every card has a card value and poker hands made with these affect the outcome of play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Line

Battleline uses poker hands to determine who scores a point. Bluffing is also a key part of this game and it is very cutthroat (I like to describe it as a knife fight inside a telephone booth).

Very easy to pick up and play, small box, small price, very easy rules. Just for 2 players though, but this also makes it easier to bring it to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drown
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iliad has more of the pushing your opponents for a bid. And combo's occur, so a losing hand can be a wining hand if you have the right cards. Cards are placed out in front of you in series against opponents.

Arcana is a group game where you are bidding openly on different cards that are out, similar to Iliad, but different... Check the reviews to see if this is what you are looking for.

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Die drei ??? und der geheimnisvolle
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmb
Kyur wrote:

No! Schotten-Totten!

(By the way, mb is available!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Karlsson
Sweden
Eskilstuna
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Taj Mahal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
(By the way, mb is available!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rolemodels: The Battle for Vyk' Tornaahl

It's similar to Texas hold'em.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Singleton
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tiny Epic Western

is a poker-based worker placement game for up to 4 players. I just got my Kickstarter copy so I don't know if it's available everywhere yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cockroach Poker

It's the cockroach version of poker.

Which is to say, it's nothing like poker, but it is a card game and it does involve a lot of bluffing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Night Eternal: The Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jern wrote:
Check out Taj Mahal

If Poker is mostly about bluffing and the tension of deciding whether to stay in and risk it, then Taj Mahal is the closest thing to Poker to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Go Huskies!...oh, well
mbmbmbmbmb
Hocus is like Hold 'em with unique spells for each player, so it's probably the closest on the list. Battle Line is brilliant, and uses sets (flush, straight, 3 of a kind), but feels very different from poker. Cockroach Poker is completely silly and fun, but probably not what you're looking for here. Taj Mahal might not be so simple to just pick up and play, but it's an outstanding game. I'm not familiar with the other ones mentioned.

I want to try Tiny Epic Western (maybe at the con).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
Kobayakawa is a kind of 1-card poker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arno van Mark
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+1 Kobayakawa

My guys who like Poker also like No Thanks! as filler game. With the chips it has this special poker feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
Taeraresh wrote:
Pandánte is the panda version of poker. It's got special powers you can earn, and you can lie about what cards you have.

+1 to this.
Pandante is explicitly meant to be "Poker, but with less folding."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teomachia / Theomachy: The Ancients / Theomachy: The Warrior Gods are basically poker with special powers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter It has bidding, bluffing, and so much more. Very different from poker as you are attacking instead of making sets, but the strong meta game foundation and the guessing/remembering where the strong cards are give it a lot of the same appeal as poker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.