Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Strategy

Subject: How's this Romulan fleet? Possibly for Tin Man OP rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Liam Thompson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
My store's running the Tin Man OP next Sunday and I was brainstorming fleets when I came up with this. I'd like opinions on it as I'm wondering how viable such a fleet would be (for Tin Man or for OPs in general).

Store rules include the usual 120 points fleet with a minimum of 3 ships each no more than 50 points, but also requires all ships to be Penalty Pure with "flavour" exceptions (no cards aboard ships that would give you a Faction penalty unless there's a very good flavour reasons, such as Retail!Khan aboard the USS Reliant, Rekar aboard the USS Prometheus with Romulan Hijackers, or (Klingon Captain) Worf aboard the USS Defiant) and a general gentleman's agreement to not go "too far" with regard to fleets.

So, here's my fleet list:

I.R.W. Haakona [30]
- Valdore 6 (Captain) [4]
- - Interphase Generator [3]
- Mendak (Admiral) [4]
- T'Rul [4]
- - Advanced Cloaking [4]
Ship Total: 49 SP

R.I.S. Vo [16]
- Donatra 6 (Captain) [4]
- Interphase Generator [3]
Ship Total: 23 SP

Romulan Battlecruiser (D7 Class) [16]
Ship Total: 16 SP

Fleet Total: 120 SP

Generated by Utopia

The fleet was built around the Haakona's ability. The Haakona will head up the field first with the other four ships holding back to maintain the Haakona's Primary Weapon bonus to begin with, but to also act as a "second wave" if necessary. The Haakona can use both Target Lock and Battle Stations to give it good accuracy and will throw between 7 and 10 dice depending on the circumstances (Range 1, discarding a Tech, within Range 1 of Donatra). It can stay cloaked as long as it keeps using Green manoeuvres, can reduce a single nasty attack down to a single hit, and does well against low quality attacks/swarms due to T'Rul allowing me to guarantee a single Evade with every attack if necessary.

The three D7s are the equivalent of 4/5/3/0 ships when cloaked and in range of Donatra so should pack a reasonable punch even if the Haakona goes down. The Vo will try and stay out of combat, staying behind the D7s though still in range of them, but can also survive an attack thanks to the second Interphase Generator.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
Your putting a lot of your fleet into one basket, even with cloak the Haakona is in danger of getting one shotted or out maneuvered.

The Tin man will also be trowing out damage you cannot avoid or block should you get to close and with this many ships that is highly likely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Thompson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Typheron wrote:
Your putting a lot of your fleet into one basket, even with cloak the Haakona is in danger of getting one shotted or out maneuvered.

That's quite true, though the Interphase Generator will require the opponent to have to "two-shot" it instead, making it at least a little less likely that will happen.

Typheron wrote:
The Tin man will also be trowing out damage you cannot avoid or block should you get to close and with this many ships that is highly likely.

Honestly, I see the Gomtuu as just blocking off half of the battlefield. I don't intend to go over in that general direction; the D7s and the Vo all have Come About manoeuvres and the Haakona has white 90 degree turns so I'm reasonably sure I can stay away from the area where you can get damaged in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Victor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Unless you bump up Tin Man's fleet points a lot, it's just not worth it.

But, Lure and Faked Messages can be a fun way to screw over your opponents by forcing them with range 2 of Gomtuu so you can attack it at range 3 and trigger its attack wave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Thompson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
wiegeabo wrote:
But, Lure and Faked Messages can be a fun way to screw over your opponents by forcing them with range 2 of Gomtuu so you can attack it at range 3 and trigger its attack wave.

I don't own either of the ships that those upgrades come with, sadly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Thompson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
In case anyone was interested, this is the fleet I actually went with.

I.R.W. Valdore [30]
- Mendak 6 (Captain) [4]
- Liviana Charvanek (Admiral) [3]
- Disruptor Beams [5]
- Romulan Helmsman [2]
- Tactical Officer [3]
Ship Total: 47 SP

I.R.W. Vrax [30]
- Valdore 6 (Captain) [4]
- - Cloaked Mines [3]
- Disruptor Beams [5]
- Romulan Helmsman [2]
- Tactical Officer [3]
Ship Total: 47 SP

Scorpion 4 [24]
- Reconnaissance [2]
Ship Total: 26 SP

Fleet Total: 120 SP

Generated by Utopia
http://kfnexus.github.io/staw-utopia/

I decided to forego trying to go for the mission objective, as it required staying in range of the Tin Man marker which put you in a lot of danger (as one of my opponents found out). The two Valdore-class ships were designed to do a significant amount of damage, combining Tactical Officer Target Lock re-re-rolls with the pretty decent Disruptor Beams weapon cards. The Romulan Helmsmen were there to allow me to repeatedly do come-about manoeuvres without having to take Auxiliary Power tokens. Charvanek was there to give me the chance to Cloak and either Target Lock or Sensor Echo in the same turn to either ship, whilst (captain) Mendak could naturally use his ability to give either ship a Battlestations token. Even though I didn't want to take the Cloaked Mines I decided to do so in the end as I knew they'd be useful. The Scorpion fighters were there because I'd never used them before (likewise with the Vrax) and the Reconnaissance was there just to use up my final 2 points.

Game 1 I went up against a mixed fleet filled with free action cards. ISS Enterprise with Captain Riker (Scan then another action as a free action) and Hikaru Sulu (Target Lock then another action as a free action), USS Enterprise-D with Picard 9, and IKS Maht-H'a with Martok 7, Worf (+3 Captain Skill), and Cloaked Mines. Unfortunately, his fleet was absolutely decimated by a round of firing that saw all three of his ships within range 2 of the Gomtuu and then had 5 sets of undefendable dice rolled due to attacks by/against them. He lost the ISS Enterprise and the IKS Maht-H'ta to that, and had the Shields stripped off of the Enterprise-D, so he conceded.

Game 2 I went up against another mixed fleet. He had the Soong captained by Slar with Salvage, Kenneth Dalby, and Goval, the Tal'Kir with Photonic Weapon 4, the Gornarus with Improved Deflector Screens, and the IRW Talvath (to Scan the Tin Man). In his previous game he'd hidden his Soong and Tal'Kir behind the star whilst his other two ships engaged around the Objective and he tried to do something similar here. He set up three of his ships directly across from the 4-inch gap between the star and the board edge and the Talvath opposite the Objective. So I set up directly opposite him to joust in the small space behind the star. I eventually ended up managing to kill off the Soong, his only real hard hitter, and he conceded, but it was close (he'd disabled his Shields due to using Salvage on the Gornarus's Improved Deflector screens, since the Gornarus had flown into the star trying to avoid my Cloaked Mines, so if he'd managed to roll a single additional Evade result then his 5 Shields (having used Kenneth Dalby twice due to Goval) would have come back up with the Improved Deflector Screens).

Since there were so few people there we called it a night for the OP then and I managed to walk away with a USS Cairo :-)

EDIT: A word.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.