Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Huter
Switzerland
Basel
Basel-Stadt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The pirates Event brings new pirate-token to every empty river region. Also every region adjacant to any pirate gives 1 less VP. Does this malus only count during the round this event is on or all the time (so also from the start on, when some pirates are in play)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno
United Kingdom
Stoke Gifford
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The -1 VP rule applies as long as there is a pirate ship present on the adjacent river region.

From the rulebook:
Regions that are contiguously adjacent to at least 1 pirate ship score 1 less VC as long as the pirate ship remains there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Stassen
Belgium
Dilsen-Stokkem
Limburg
flag msg tools
This is very confusing, does that mean the start pirates also have that ability from the start of the game?

Does not feel balanced either, the players were not trying hard to clear the pirates because they would make things to easy for the other adjecent players.

If your are Lucky you are in decline when thi event happens and you can clear some part of the river next to your in decline race.
When this happens with only few offensive tokens left or when you want to go in decline you hare a serioes problem at hand.

Played with the house rule that it only has a effect when the pirates event is active.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Magalhães
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bluestrike01 wrote:
This is very confusing, does that mean the start pirates also have that ability from the start of the game?

Does not feel balanced either, the players were not trying hard to clear the pirates because they would make things to easy for the other adjecent players.

I just got a clarification from the designer and the pirates are always active.
Don't forget that river tiles cost 1 to conquer plus 1 for the pirates so it is cheaper to conquer pirates than conquering other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Huter
Switzerland
Basel
Basel-Stadt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanx for clarifying that. I have also the feeling, that this is a quite a disadvantage for the startplayer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Magalhães
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Squeezel wrote:
Thanx for clarifying that. I have also the feeling, that this is a quite a disadvantage for the startplayer.

I'm not seeing the disadvantage, do you care to explain or share your experience?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Huter
Switzerland
Basel
Basel-Stadt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first player(s) have to clean up the pirates to score with adjecant regions and this in all turns, when pirates show up and at the start. Since multiple regions will be able to score, when the pirates of one river-regions are gone, normally the one that emptied that river-section cannot take over all corresponding adjecant regions. Of course some regions have 2 river-areas that has to be cleared, but the first player will always have to struggle with pirates, as the others (especially the players late in turnorder) will almost always have less to concern about the point-reduction of the pirates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Magalhães
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is true that the first players will have to clean up the pirates to score, which causes those players to have less conquered regions.
But those players will have regions better defended due to redeployment to free conquered river sections, causing the following players to send more troops conquering those regions.

When I have more experience with this expansion I might reach the same conclusion as you had, but for now it seems balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.