Subject: Wow, the packaging rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
brad hammond
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Opened the heavy box this morning and played the tutorial and first mission with my 10 yr old daughter. Component quality is amazing and the game, so far, is great. What I'm floored with after my first 2 hours or so is how easily and intuitively everything goes back in the box. Most games with many components have me going off to the craft store to purchase jewelry cases, and then modifying (cutting to pieces) the insert. With this, I imagine the Broken Token people with single tears on their faces. There is no such thing as perfection, but I can't fathom how the packaging could have been designed any better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick Ernst
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The genius behind the package is Noah at Game Trayz. He's got other aftermarket inserts if you're a fan...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrPiddlesworth wrote:
The genius behind the package is Noah at Game Trayz. He's got other aftermarket inserts if you're a fan...

I'd argue that the first genius move was from Riot Games when they decided to partner with Game Trayz.

It's just so good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Alexander
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Check out the treasure trays for gamertrayz. They're the little plastic boxes that scythe came with
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Donohue
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
had all my friends entertained by the genius that is the "coin" slot. Press down, coin pops up and out. simple things...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MrPiddlesworth wrote:

That's fantastic!

I hope in future printings, you put in a little ad sheet for Game Trayz, or mention them on the instructions. Which other publishers use Game Trayz?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Which other publishers use Game Trayz?

I'm fairly certain we were the first publisher to work with them in a preproduction capacity. Hopefully, we'll see more publishers take this approach in the future. It's definitely a bit more work on our end, but I kept telling myself I wouldn't remember the work in 5 years. And I'd still have the trayz.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Dean
United States
Monmouth Junction
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandasaurus is working with Game Trayz for Wasteland Express Delivery service but last I heard they weren't sure if they could put them in every copy of the game or just the preorders. I'm certainly hoping they get them in to every copy of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Ries
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I was nerd giggling a little when I realized that each individual minion slot was perfectly constructed to hold any of the 3 poses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
prodigalphreak wrote:
Check out the treasure trays for gamertrayz. They're the little plastic boxes that scythe came with

Sycthe's boxes are actually different from GameTrayz. GameTrayz are slightly larger, have larger bases and are designed to stack. Both Scythe's and GameTrayz' are very nice, but are different.

(Hard to see well due to both being clear.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
oldno7bh wrote:
I can't fathom how the packaging could have been designed any better.

The packaging is amazingly fantastic, and leaps ahead of what most publishers provide. (I'm looking at you, FFG!)

I do wish it would have accommodated sleeved cards, but removing the big "Do Not Open" box allows enough space to fit the cards, plus the contents of the removed box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Adelman

Saint Louis
Missouri
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
DonXIII wrote:
had all my friends entertained by the genius that is the "coin" slot. Press down, coin pops up and out. simple things...
Glad you noticed Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Adelman

Saint Louis
Missouri
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
itazzy wrote:
Pandasaurus is working with Game Trayz for Wasteland Express Delivery service but last I heard they weren't sure if they could put them in every copy of the game or just the preorders. I'm certainly hoping they get them in to every copy of the game.
Yes! working on the Game Trayz for Pandasaurus right now. They will be in every box during the first print run for sure! Check out the latest design:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Adelman

Saint Louis
Missouri
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
oldno7bh wrote:
There is no such thing as perfection, but I can't fathom how the packaging could have been designed any better.
Thanks so much for the compliment. Hopefully I get to fix the non perfect things if we get to do another print run

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Adelman

Saint Louis
Missouri
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
briezee wrote:
prodigalphreak wrote:

GameTrayz are slightly larger, have larger bases and are designed to stack.

Indeed different. The Treasure Trayz in that pick are actually version 10.0 of the design. Part of the that lid design is used in MvM Lid design. It creates a nice snap and solid hold. The key was increasing the undercut to 7 degrees and making the lid to base interface 3/8" instead of 1/4" that many packages use for lids. Also the plastic is .030" which is thicker than most packaging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt barnes
msg tools
Definitely appreciating the work that went into the trays (especially when I own games like Eldritch Horror which comes with a storage system that makes basically no sense). The thought that went into each piece is incredible. For example the slots to put the card decks are each marked with symbols for the specific deck that is meant to go there. It is very impressive to see this much work put in at the price point.

However I am a little bitter regarding the size of the box and the increased setup/breakdown time the trays cause. Yes it is great it all fits together. But since the Minions are all the same I don't really need this level of organization. I am never going to need to sort through all the miniatures to find the right one, so to me a soft felt bag would make a lot more sense so I can just pour them out on the table at setup and dumb them back in at breakdown. And since the box is so huge it doesn't even make sense to now remove the trays and just use a bag as then there will be so much wasted space for things to bounce around.

Will probably keep the trays but after we finish the missions the first time through I can see passing on this game just because I don't want to have to deal with the packaging. I just think this level of organization would make more sense in a game with more components that have different purposes/values.

Plus if they do decide to release an expansion that includes new miniatures I highly doubt it is going to fit into the box without removing the trays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
New York City
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not the first person to raise the point, but it's a really bizarre point to make. I have literally never thought in my life before that a game was too organized and too neat.

It's easy to make stuff not organized if it was already: get a cardboard box from U-Haul, pour all the components in there, and then put it in the dryer spin cycle. Voila, all the entropy you will ever need.

It's not easy to make stuff organized if it wasn't already: either invest additional un-fun time into finding, purchasing, and/or modifying custom inserts, or deal with the same consistent aggravations every time going forward.

At the end of the day, what is convenient and/or not convenient for you is one thing. I can't tell you how to live your life. Maybe you hate order and intentionally shuffle all your cards in different orientations. Maybe you find the sight of a big bag of miniatures inevitably damaged in transit to be thrilling in a evil deity sort of way.

But I wager for 99% of players, they would rather have a game be too organized instead of not organized enough. So to go from "this game design does not align with my personal Chaotic Neutral lifestyle" to "this level of organization [does not] make . . . sense" is a non sequitur.

(Relevant xkcd: http://xkcd.com/1172/)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theory wrote:
You're not the first person to raise the point, but it's a really bizarre point to make. I have literally never thought in my life before that a game was too organized and too neat.
Consider if every single card had a slot in the insert, surely that would be too much for you since you are going to take all the cards and mix them up anyway. The minions are pretty much the same thing. You are just going to mix them up and all the time putting them back in each slot is unnecessary. Yes, they are much more protected in travel, but they are pretty sturdy and despite the numerous accounts of the ones in the bottom insert being all over the place after opening the box, no one has claimed to have a broken piece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
New York City
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a pretty obvious benefit to not shipping a big bag full of minions, namely, they are less likely to get damaged in transit. There is no such benefit to individually slotting each card. And if there was, then I wouldn't be complaining about how nonsensical that was, since I would simply choose to not individually slot each card but continue living a happy and productive life knowing that I benefited from that decision and would have the option of doing so again in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theory wrote:
There's a pretty obvious benefit to not shipping a big bag full of minions, namely, they are less likely to get damaged in transit. There is no such benefit to individually slotting each card. And if there was, then I wouldn't be complaining about how nonsensical that was, since I would simply choose to not individually slot each card but continue living a happy and productive life knowing that I benefited from that decision and would have the option of doing so again in the future.
Right but as I said, because the third layer doesn't have a lid, I and many other people had minions loose in the box anyway. No one has reported any damage nor do they look like they would be easily damaged, hence the storage is not needed. Furthermore, the missing lid on the third layer means that even with the storage as is, many minions can get loose during travel or if box is turned so there isn't even the full benefit of having the pieces stay in play (though they have said Wave 2 will address that issue).

It is fine that you are happy with the solution, but to call it unreasonable to complain is a bit too far. Riot has even said they are going to fix some issues (like what I described above) in Wave 2 so even they can admit there are some flaws.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
My only concern with having all the 100 minions in their own slots is that I wonder how much smaller the box could have been if they were packaged differently. Having a slot each will protect them, but will definitely also mean they take up more space.

The box seems huge and I'm short on space, so if it could have been smaller that would have been a good thing. But I see the sense in making sure they are well protected - it especially caters for people who might want to paint them all.

Essentially it's a premium deluxe version of a game that wasn't made yet. . But at a much more reasonable price than most deluxe versions. Which means it also takes up the space of a deluxe version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:
But I see the sense in making sure they are well protected - it especially caters for people who might want to paint them all.
Can they be painted? My understanding was that because of the wash, the can't actually be painted, or at least not easily. I don't paint so I don't know, but there was some discussion about that previously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
ras2124 wrote:
Orion3T wrote:
But I see the sense in making sure they are well protected - it especially caters for people who might want to paint them all.
Can they be painted? My understanding was that because of the wash, the can't actually be painted, or at least not easily. I don't paint so I don't know, but there was some discussion about that previously.

Yeah, I'm sure with the right treatment the wash will come off. People strip down miniatures with much heavier paint jobs than these have.

Or they can just paint over it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
No one has reported any damage nor do they look like they would be easily damaged, hence the storage is not needed.

There is literally a thread on the MvM general forum that starts with "Broken figure" where the OP talks about a broken minion figure as well as mentioning that he had seen "a few threads" where people reported broken components. Overall, there seem to be very few reports about broken components but they are there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jokemeister wrote:
ras2124 wrote:
No one has reported any damage nor do they look like they would be easily damaged, hence the storage is not needed.

There is literally a thread on the MvM general forum that starts with "Broken figure" where the OP talks about a broken minion figure as well as mentioning that he had seen "a few threads" where people reported broken components. Overall, there seem to be very few reports about broken components but they are there.
Yes, but my discussion here is only in regards to the minions, and that thread is only about a broken mini. I am not suggesting the the large minis not be in individual slots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.