Popular Tags: [View All]
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's time for baseball, people! Pitchers and catchers report soon and the national pastime is with us again!
mbmbmbmbmb
You all may have to take this with something of a grain of salt, as I’m very fond of dice games. The Settlers Dice Game is being denigrated as “Yahtzee on Steroids”, but that’s hardly an insult to me — I don’t mind Yahtzee and I rather like Kismet (the Yahtzee variant where the dice have colored pips). These have been golden times indeed for dice game lovers, with great titles like Pickomino and To Court the King appearing in the past two years. This one isn’t quite as good as those two, but I still find it lots of fun. And unlike the other two, the Settlers Dice Game truly deserves the title of Yahtzee on Steroids: you roll the dice three times, you don’t have to lock in any dice from turn to turn, and there’s no direct interaction between the players. The difference is that there’s considerably more strategy, including the following choices:

* What to do with gold (the six dice faces show the five Settlers resources, plus gold and you can convert two gold into the resource of your choice);

* How to play your Knights (one thing you can build is a Knight associated with a particular resource, which allows you to covert as many dice as you want to that resource once a game);

* What to shoot for on your scoring chart (you can build settlements and cities, using the usual Settlers resource rules, but only if you've built a road to the site on your scorecard. So you need to be taking all this into account when you decide what to build and how to mark your scoresheet).

So to me, it’s all good: the game plays fast, there’s decisions to be made, and figuring out how to best play the percentages is reasonably challenging. And it isn’t pure multiple solitaire, as a good player will alter his choices depending upon how his opponents are scoring. I know some people have labeled this as utter crap (I’m sure Rick Thornquist is already calling this “Klaus Teuber’s Game of Pure Luck”), but I've also played with quite a few people who like it as much as I do. If it isn’t too expensive when it becomes available in the States, I’ll probably pick this up and I’m sure I’ll get quite a bit of play out of it. So if you don’t recoil in horror at the idea of a more sophisticated version of good old Yahtzee, give this a try and see what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schloesser
United States
Jefferson City
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, Larry, but I fall squarely in Rick Thornquist's camp on this one. I only played once, but that was enough. Dice, dice, and more dice, using a mechanism that is found in many other dice games. I found little new or original here, and was bored after the first few rounds. If I'm going to play a dice game, there are others I'd reach for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup - I've already picked up copies myself, and have continued to enjoy the game quite a bit. One rule note - knights can only swap one die per use (by my reading of the rules).

Best,

Anthony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LemonyFresh wrote:
Yup - I've already picked up copies myself, and have continued to enjoy the game quite a bit. One rule note - knights can only swap one die per use (by my reading of the rules).

Best,

Anthony

And only do it one time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Hoffman
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
While Greg is right that there are other, better dice games out there, if you're starting from a Yahtzee standpoint, this game is more interesting and fun than Yahtzee, but about as simple. So if you have someone who loves Yahtzee, have them give this a try instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.