United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some cards are worded like the following:

"Choose an Ally you have played this turn..."

Here, it's obvious that the Ally must have already been played.

Other cards are worded like so:

"If you play an Item..." (Luna Lovegood)

"If you play another Ally..." (Fleur Delacour)

Do these cards count previously played cards, or only cards played afterwards?

E.g., I play an Ally, then Fleur. Do I get the bonus or not?

(Other deckbuilding games specify "play or have played", but Hogwarts doesn't take this approach.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Mathias
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I believe that "If you play another Ally..." it means, "an Ally who is not this card." And the Luna card effect starts when the card is played.

So the short answer is no, you have to play the specific card after Luna and Fleur have been played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is actually one I'm going to wait for the company rep to answer - it affects many cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I Agree with Skip but welcome and official answers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dnasearchr wrote:
I Agree with Skip but welcome and official answers

Players have argued both ways. It's tough to know if this is what the designers really mean, or if they're being loose with language.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If people are questioning it and can argue both ways credibly than it is probably a little loose with language.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wolf
United States
Carlsbad
Unspecified
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
This is actually one I'm going to wait for the company rep to answer - it affects many cards.

The intent is that these cards create floating triggers, and they look backwards and forwards. If you play an Item and then play Luna, or play Luna and then play an Item, you get the extra effect.

If you play Ron's Every Flavour Beans, you get 1 ATTACK for each Ally you play that turn, both before and after you play the Beans.

Andrew Wolf
Game Designer - USAopoly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nethershadow wrote:
floating triggers

I like this term. We need to start using it more often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nethershadow wrote:
The intent is that these cards create floating triggers, and they look backwards and forwards. If you play an Item and then play Luna, or play Luna and then play an Item, you get the extra effect.

Thanks! This issue has come up multiple times as a result of card-drawing (e.g., if Luna is the last card that you play due to a card-drawing effect), so it's nice to know the official answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wolf
United States
Carlsbad
Unspecified
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
davypi wrote:
nethershadow wrote:
floating triggers

I like this term. We need to start using it more often.

I used to work on TCG development so that's where I picked it up :)

It's not something designers like to lean on too much, as it asks games to have memory, but I think it is ok to use sparingly and when appropriate. The converse is that you have to be really specific about how you sequence your plays, and that can be unfun or feel punishing when you mess up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nethershadow wrote:
It's not something designers like to lean on too much, as it asks games to have memory, but I think it is ok to use sparingly and when appropriate. The converse is that you have to be really specific about how you sequence your plays, and that can be unfun or feel punishing when you mess up.

Oh, I'm not suggesting that the mechanic itself needs to be used more often. But the phrase "if you play or have played" is long and wordy, as is other ways I have seen this concept expressed. Floating trigger is short and elegant and would make conversations easier if the gaming community adopted the term (or maybe they have and I'm just out of touch).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nethershadow wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

If you play Ron's Every Flavour Beans, you get 1 ATTACK for each Ally you play that turn, both before and after you play the Beans.

Andrew Wolf
Game Designer - USAopoly

Exactly how we've been playing it. Good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ohad Ouziel
Israel
Tel Aviv
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
I am still a little unclear about Luna - does the effect trigger every time you play an item or just once per turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just once. The wording on her card is "If you play an item..." not "For each item played..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.