$30.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Conan» Forums » Rules

Subject: How to set up the asset deck? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julian Dick
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mb
Hi! During setup, all players receive starting items and spells.
Later in the game, if you open a chest, you get to draw the top card of the asset deck.

How am i supposed to set this deck up? There are lots of items in there that have no game text or icons, just a name and weight, like a key or a ring. Are these items only used in special scenarios, or are they always included and function the same way food and water worked in zombicide, in other words function as useless/dead loot?

There are also some cards numbered A-E and some blank cards. They have to be for a specific scenario and are not meant to always be included in the asset deck, right?
Sadly, there are many things not answered in the rulebook. Hope the release a new one soon.

greetings, Enroth
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Enroth186 wrote:
Hi! During setup, all players receive starting items and spells.
Later in the game, if you open a chest, you get to draw the top card of the asset deck.

How am i supposed to set this deck up?


Each scenario tells you exactly which cards to use (the same number of them as their are chests). So you assemble a mini-deck out of those cards, and draw from those when you open up a chest. What i do is simply place one of those cards, face down, under each chest, so that i don't have a deck taking up space.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Dick
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
Each scenario tells you exactly which cards to use


Ok, thanks for the info. Why is there no word about it in the rulebook?
This is an important information which belongs into the section where they talk about how to set up the game (page1 of the hero rulebook).
The asset deck is not even in the image of the game setup on page2 of the hero rulebook.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Anonymous
Germany
flag msg tools
Enroth186 wrote:
Quote:
Each scenario tells you exactly which cards to use


Ok, thanks for the info. Why is there no word about it in the rulebook?
This is an important information which belongs into the section where they talk about how to set up the game (page1 of the hero rulebook).
The asset deck is not even in the image of the game setup on page2 of the hero rulebook.


Its always part of the scenario therefore it is in the OL book.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Dick
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
Its always part of the scenario therefore it is in the OL book.

Really? But why does the first page of the hero rulebook contain rules for the overlord if it is called the hero rulebook? whistle

Also it is clear that there should have been a sentence or two about each and every component in the game, which is completely absent from the current rules. In there you could have told that the deck is always constucted for each scenario. Also in the overlord rulebook there is no explanation about the asset deck. Just at the very bottom of each scenario, it lists some cards, which is really not a good style to explain the game to first time players imho.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Enroth186 wrote:
Also it is clear that there should have been a sentence or two about each and every component in the game, which is completely absent from the current rules.


The missing list of components was one of Barry D's complaints in his review video, and is presumably something they will add to the revised rulebook.

Enroth186 wrote:
In there you could have told that the deck is always constucted for each scenario. Also in the overlord rulebook there is no explanation about the asset deck. Just at the very bottom of each scenario, it lists some cards, which is really not a good style to explain the game to first time players imho.


Whether or not a scenario includes an asset deck is scenario-specific. i.e. there is no requirement that a scenario have an asset deck. Thus those rules are in each scenario, right where they belong. Saying, on page one, "build your asset deck," is likely to cause more confusion because the next question is "how do I do that?" and the answer goes right back to where the asset deck instructions are now: in the scenario. If, by some weird chance, a first-time player picked a scenario which doesn't use an asset deck, he would be even more confused, because the rules would say "create your asset deck" and the scenario would not say how.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
Enroth186 wrote:
Also it is clear that there should have been a sentence or two about each and every component in the game, which is completely absent from the current rules.


The missing list of components was one of Barry D's complaints in his review video, and is presumably something they will add to the revised rulebook.

Enroth186 wrote:
In there you could have told that the deck is always constucted for each scenario. Also in the overlord rulebook there is no explanation about the asset deck. Just at the very bottom of each scenario, it lists some cards, which is really not a good style to explain the game to first time players imho.


Whether or not a scenario includes an asset deck is scenario-specific. i.e. there is no requirement that a scenario have an asset deck. Thus those rules are in each scenario, right where they belong. Saying, on page one, "build your asset deck," is likely to cause more confusion because the next question is "how do I do that?" and the answer goes right back to where the asset deck instructions are now: in the scenario. If, by some weird chance, a first-time player picked a scenario which doesn't use an asset deck, he would be even more confused, because the rules would say "create your asset deck" and the scenario would not say how.


The information can be in both places. Good rule books repeat information when necessary. FFG sometimes has some info in their Learn to Play guide which is not in the Rules Reference, which can get confusing, but most of the time they repeat information often. Repetition also helps with learning and retention of information.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DancingFool wrote:
The information can be in both places. Good rule books repeat information when necessary. FFG sometimes has some info in their Learn to Play guide which is not in the Rules Reference, which can get confusing, but most of the time they repeat information often. Repetition also helps with learning and retention of information.


There's a maxim of computer science which says "duplicate data is bad data."

i.e. if you have two watches with differing times, you cannot know what time it is.

Every time i see rules duplicated in a rulebook, the hairs on the back of my neck go up.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
DancingFool wrote:
The information can be in both places. Good rule books repeat information when necessary. FFG sometimes has some info in their Learn to Play guide which is not in the Rules Reference, which can get confusing, but most of the time they repeat information often. Repetition also helps with learning and retention of information.


There's a maxim of computer science which says "duplicate data is bad data."

i.e. if you have two watches with differing times, you cannot know what time it is.

Every time i see rules duplicated in a rulebook, the hairs on the back of my neck go up.


I get what you're saying and in general I agree. This is somewhat different, though, in that there are two rule books. FFG runs into this problem as well with their two rule book system. In this case you have the game setup and components list in the Hero book and the scenarios in the Overlord book. I think a mention in the Hero book's game setup that the rules for the asset deck are scenario specific and found in the Overlord book could be helpful to totally new players.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
DancingFool wrote:
The information can be in both places. Good rule books repeat information when necessary. FFG sometimes has some info in their Learn to Play guide which is not in the Rules Reference, which can get confusing, but most of the time they repeat information often. Repetition also helps with learning and retention of information.


There's a maxim of computer science which says "duplicate data is bad data."

i.e. if you have two watches with differing times, you cannot know what time it is.

Every time i see rules duplicated in a rulebook, the hairs on the back of my neck go up.


I agree when you have conflicting information--repeated SAME information isn't a problem tho, I wouldn't think. I like having rules reinforced so you can remember as you learn.

Conflicting info, as in your example however, is a bad thing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannis
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Follow up question on the asset deck.
Are the items in the deck open information?
As in, do all the players know what are the potential items to be earned if they search the chests? Or this is OL-only info?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joibest wrote:
Follow up question on the asset deck.
Are the items in the deck open information?
As in, do all the players know what are the potential items to be earned if they search the chests? Or this is OL-only info?


Most of the time the deck is shuffled into a pile and nobody (not even the OL) knows what is where until it's uncovered via looting. i saw one scenario (i don't remember which) in which, IIRC, the OL took the heroes' equipment and placed each heroes' things into a chest of the OL's choice (the heroes not knowing which). In that case the OL knows what is where, but the heroes don't.

So the answer is "it's scenario-specific."

When not specified otherwise (and when an asset deck is used at all (not all scenarios have one)), the asset deck is built like a traditional deck: the scenario-specified item cards are shuffled together face-down, and one gets drawn when a chest is looted. That's the most common case, anyway.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Dick
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
Quote:
Are the items in the deck open information?


scenario-specified item cards are shuffled together face-down, and one gets drawn when a chest is looted


I think what he really means is: are the hero-players allowed to know which items can be found in the scenario at all (= which cards are in the asset deck) to be able to evaluate if it is worth wasting the actions to open chests, and if the items in the scenario could possibly benefit you, given your current game state.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Enroth186 wrote:
I think what he really means is: are the hero-players allowed to know which items can be found in the scenario at all (= which cards are in the asset deck) to be able to evaluate if it is worth wasting the actions to open chests, and if the items in the scenario could possibly benefit you, given your current game state.


They're listed in the scenario description, so there's no keeping that info it from them.

"You can't stop the signal, Mal."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannis
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Enroth186 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Are the items in the deck open information?


scenario-specified item cards are shuffled together face-down, and one gets drawn when a chest is looted


I think what he really means is: are the hero-players allowed to know which items can be found in the scenario at all (= which cards are in the asset deck) to be able to evaluate if it is worth wasting the actions to open chests, and if the items in the scenario could possibly benefit you, given your current game state.


Yep, that is what I was asking. Also, the fact that they are in the scenario description doesn't mean that they are available for the players :). They have to take the OL-book from me first to see them (I am a bit of a tyrant-OL).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joibest wrote:
They have to take the OL-book from me first to see them


Only a subset of the scenarios are in the OL book, and all of those are available online as PDFs. There is no stopping the heroes' players from seeing those.

And what if one player is an OL today and a hero tomorrow? Should that person "forget" the asset deck arrangement?

No, the asset deck is not secret information.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannis
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Yeah, I get it. I was mostly kidding. Thanks for the answer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.