Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nigel Britton
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mb
Has anyone else spotted that the Unit Summary card gives Whippets only one die for recovery, but the rule-book actually gives two?
I would assume the rule-book is correct, intending to reflect the lighter tank's better chance of recovery.

I'm a bit sensitive about Whippets, since my wife's grandfather was Gunner Ribbans of Musical Box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
funny... I had a recollection of 2 recovery dice, and then saw 1 on the charts.

Given the rules refer to zero, one or two recovery dice, and the Whippet is the only one that indicates it has two (to date), then I think two is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigh cry Guess we'll need another "official" ruling here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, the Whippet is considered a "medium" tank, and in some ways has lousier treads (for cross country work) than the big Marks.

I have a photo of myself standing next to a Mark IV, a Whippet, and an FT 17 in the Royal Army Museum in Brussels that I will post when I get to downloading the SD cards. The Whippet is not all that much smaller and, compared to the Ft17, not at all 'light.'

But yes, an official ruling would be a good thing, and, even without one, the two dice is probably not bad. People might tend to be more aggressive with their Whippets anyway.

Fwiw, this tank was using all Hotchkiss (or maybe Lewis) MGs and no belt-fed fed ones like the Mark Females. Someone who wanted to get into tank differences might make something out of that. So far as I can tell, the only advantage the Females have is being able to shoot non-adjacent in advance after combat and one card it can join in on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome back Kevin...need to see all your great pics!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
"Did you too learn that secret from the river: that there is no time?"
mbmbmbmbmb
MayorJim wrote:
Welcome back Kevin...need to see all your great pics!

Absolutely agree, Sir Duke. Your photos sound great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, this one shows you that those tanks were just not as large as we might have thought...

Okay, just kidding. This is a monument to the first use of tanks, at the Somme.

Here is the Mark.

Funny-- I had not seen the photos until a little while ago. The difference in size is larger this way than it was in my head.

Whippet

The FT certainly is much smaller, still. But the treads make me wonder if RB will do something different when the French come out or leave all the bogging/recovery stuff pretty much as we have it now.

I am curious about the original post being here, versus in the Tank file (which is where I went looking for it when I had downloaded the pix and tried to come back.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin, great pics...and you're right...probably better posted under Tanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just to complete the set, Mephisto at the Australian War Museum

and when it was captured

and a training exercise photo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice photos!

Every other time I have seen this issue in CCN, the rulebook was correct, the reference card wrong.

Still, preferably we will get a ruling from RBorg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.