England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Angry Imp Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Loving the game. Great footy feel. Anyway, someone asked me a question today that threw doubt on my understanding of the rules. We were playing the BASE GAME...

Can the defending player 'undo' the move that the attacking player just made (as long as his footballs are on the correct side of the card he played)? For example...

Attacking player moves 'red 9' forward one space, swapping with 'blue 4'. He does his mandatory sideways pass and 'red 9' does not receive the ball. The defending player then decides to move 'blue 4' and swaps places again with 'red 9', effectively putting them back as they were.

The rules don't mention it, so I assume that this is fine. But, my opponent, let's call him Brian, got a bit fed up of me doing this all the time and questioned it's validity. So, to avoid future conflict here, I thought I would ask...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patryk Kowalski
msg tools
designer
Hat-Trick goes online on Tabletopia. PM me if you want a learn, try or play it.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a completely valid move – simply assume that the defender has managed to hold off the attacker by anticipating what he will do, subsequently not letting him into the penalty area. Sometimes when playing against Marek and seeing that the attacker is about to make this move, we tell the other not to bother (provided we have the correct side) because we know we will undo the move.
Btw, remember about using the Snapshot rule as it prevents the frustration of losing the ball in the penultimate line and slightly increases the shot/goal ratio in the base game (this is an optional rule which I introduced long time ago here on BGG and included it in the expansion as an offcial rule).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hunt
England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Angry Imp Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that - I will look at the snapshot rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David King
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
Edit: Never mind, found where this was written up in the other thread. I had looked in the Players Expansion rulebook but wasn't able to find it. When I play with others I'll have to pretend I'm not making the rule up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patryk Kowalski
msg tools
designer
Hat-Trick goes online on Tabletopia. PM me if you want a learn, try or play it.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moominov wrote:
Edit: Never mind, found where this was written up in the other thread. I had looked in the Players Expansion rulebook but wasn't able to find it. When I play with others I'll have to pretend I'm not making the rule up!

Hello David. Check out the black and white cards from the expansion containing 6 optional rules (corners, subs, captain) – Snapshot should be one of them. I put these rules on the cards - not in the rulebook - to indicate they are optional (for novice players it would be too much to introduce all of them at once). So in case any of your fellow gamers wants to sue you after losing a match to a last-minute Snapshot, you'll always have a proof - I am also willing to testify
Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.