Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Martin
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 1993 version the of the Wargame Collector's Guide.
It was invaluable. Listed nearly every wargame published, included auction prices and a basic rating scale. man I loved that book.

Does anyone know if it has been reprised in any form? I would love to see a current version of this guide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Loakes
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oldwargamer wrote:
It was invaluable. Listed nearly every wargame published, included auction prices and a basic rating scale. man I loved that book.

Does anyone know if it has been reprised in any form? I would love to see a current version of this guide.

Hi Robert,

If it is the guide I'm thinking of, it ceased to be updated a few years ago. However http://www.spielboy.com/ serves a similar purpose and is based on data harvested from our very own BGG.

Andy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oldwargamer wrote:

I sympathise with you. I think books of this nature are superseded by the internet. What you describe in your post is the basics of the wargame section of BGG. I have had similar things happen too. I have seen information from some of my reference books printed word for word on the internet. It's a double edged sword, on one hand it is readily available without getting off my seat and with up to date information where on the other hand it is a nice personal feeling thumbing through a reference book and taking in that musty smell of an old book. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies and the link. I guess I am getting too old. I have my copy of the wargame collector's guide right here, It is 172 pages long, lists every wargame published (Supposedly) up till publication date of 1993.

The last few pages lists every periodical pertaining to wargames with issue numbers and contents.

All I want is a 2016 version listing every wargame ever published with a brief synopsis. Bound in leather, with pictures. like an encyclopedia.

On a different note, have you guys seen the wargame Collector's Video by Big Bear Productions? They are great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan R
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
I would be in for a book. Kickstarter anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolf Hoepper
msg tools
mbmbmb
whatambush wrote:
Oldwargamer wrote:

I sympathise with you. I think books of this nature are superseded by the internet. What you describe in your post is the basics of the wargame section of BGG. I have had similar things happen too. I have seen information from some of my reference books printed word for word on the internet. It's a double edged sword, on one hand it is readily available without getting off my seat and with up to date information where on the other hand it is a nice personal feeling thumbing through a reference book and taking in that musty smell of an old book. soblue

Here we have the dilemma of modern times: Everything is available on the net which is good, since if you need certain info it is readily available with a couple of clicks. On the other hand old-school people like me still prefer hard copies/printed materials. And it is unsurpassed to have a printed book in your hand, sitting in the garden with a cup of coffee and reading that seemingly outdated media.

Personally I started to really dislike that internet/electronic crap after my old Mac died down about half a year ago. I am still trying to recover my data collected in more than a decade from the hard drive or find a way to repair it. And before somebody asks: No way to simply use the back-up hard drive, since that was affected too (thunderstorms have the nasty tendency to send lightning strokes down from the skies).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.