7 Posts

Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle» Forums » Variants

Subject: Deciding on Characters (Spoilers for Game 3 and on) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred Jandt
msg tools
mbmb
I'll try and keep this as spoiler free as possible, so click if you want to read more.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
In Game 3 and 7 you get updated versions of the characters. There isn't anything in the rules to prevent it, but any thought to allowing players to choose different characters at this point?

I'm not sure if there is a benefit, but thought it might allow players to mix it up a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There isn't anything in the rule book that says they can't change characters prior to that point either. The heroes have different decks, so players may want to trade characters to see how the others play. Your question seems to imply that there is some sort of campaign mode to this game, but there isn't. There are seven games where the mechanics build on each other. Nothing more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I changed characters for game 3. She had been Hermione, but with the changes in game #3, she didn't like the idea of
Spoiler (click to reveal)
being coerced into constructing a deck with specific types of cards (spells, healing, attack), so she chose Harry.

I switched from one randomly drawn character for games 1 and 2 (Neville) to a newly randomly drawn character for game 3 (Neville). I'm not sure if I'll stick with him for game #4, or switch to try something new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moo Cow
msg tools
mb
I may misunderstand the question - but we just choose our heroes each time we start a game. We don't keep track of who we played the last game; we just pick who we want to play as for that game. We're going to start Game 6 next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Moo Cow wrote:
I may misunderstand the question - but we just choose our heroes each time we start a game. We don't keep track of who we played the last game; we just pick who we want to play as for that game. We're going to start Game 6 next.

At least for our first time through, I kind of enjoy pretending it's a campaign. Also, pragmatically, we can build up skill at optimizing one character's strengths.

But I agree that's totally not necessary. Everyone could choose a random/different character every game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
There's nothing like the sound of a child's laughter to remind you that your apartment's haunted.
badge
Freedom of Speech means that the Government can't imprison you for what you say, not that the rest of us can't tell you to shut up.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't sure if we could change proficiencies between games 6 & 7 so didn't. Always played four characters so didn't think about changing characters, even kept the same order throughout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev O
msg tools
My wife and I randomly assign both characters and proficiencies at the start of every game. The game is constantly variable this way, and can be quite challenging.
This especially makes sense since we basically only play game 6-7 from now on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.