Shadowrun: Crossfire» Forums » Rules

Subject: two question about playing Extraction solo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Itai Sanders
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmb
so after quite a long time with this game dusting on the shelf (after our gaming group was disbanded) I finally took it out for a spin - playing the Extraction in solo mode.

1. I noticed the "Normal Crossfire rules" reference in the mission description, and was a bit confused. do they just mean I should draw a Crossfire card at the beginning of each round, or do they refer to the Crossfire mission where I would get the first (3?) rounds Crossfire-less when playing solo.

2. since I played a fresh character with no upgrade, I allowed myself to take the easier interpretation. the game went quite well (so I guess I was probably wrong). I started round 6 with many obstacles facing both me and the client, but since I protected the client with whips and cover fire the whole game I was one point away from staggered while the client was still on 4HP. I realized that since a runner cannot go from non-staggered to critical on a single blow, no matter how many obstacles hit me I will get to the finish line staggered (but alive). so I took one obstacle from the client on the beginning of my turn, finished off another one and moved a third obstacle with my whip. the result was that at the end of my turn I ignored the huge amount of damage I was actually suppose to take and went down to staggered, and the client on his turn took 4 damage points finishing the 6th round with me staggered the the client with 1HP but alive.
it seemed a bit of a shock at the time, because of the amount of fire I knowingly took counting on that staggered barrier, so I figured I should ask around to make sure I didn't miss any Extraction specific rule saying I am not supposed to finish the mission with all runners staggered or anything of the sort.

thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitriy Razumov
Russia
Vladimir
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ItaiSanders wrote:
1. I noticed the "Normal Crossfire rules" reference in the mission description, and was a bit confused. do they just mean I should draw a Crossfire card at the beginning of each round, or do they refer to the Crossfire mission where I would get the first (3?) rounds Crossfire-less when playing solo.

They refer to Crossfire cards (rules pages 11-12). And there's no simplification for fewer than 4 players. So you should draw a Crossfire card at the beginning of each round.

ItaiSanders wrote:
2. since I played a fresh character with no upgrade, I allowed myself to take the easier interpretation. the game went quite well (so I guess I was probably wrong). I started round 6 with many obstacles facing both me and the client, but since I protected the client with whips and cover fire the whole game I was one point away from staggered while the client was still on 4HP. I realized that since a runner cannot go from non-staggered to critical on a single blow, no matter how many obstacles hit me I will get to the finish line staggered (but alive). so I took one obstacle from the client on the beginning of my turn, finished off another one and moved a third obstacle with my whip. the result was that at the end of my turn I ignored the huge amount of damage I was actually suppose to take and went down to staggered, and the client on his turn took 4 damage points finishing the 6th round with me staggered the the client with 1HP but alive.
it seemed a bit of a shock at the time, because of the amount of fire I knowingly took counting on that staggered barrier, so I figured I should ask around to make sure I didn't miss any Extraction specific rule saying I am not supposed to finish the mission with all runners staggered or anything of the sort.

It's nothing wrong if you are staggered! An you use staggered mechanic smartly as supposed! So congratulations! Maybe it was easy game because there was whips and cover fire in the market - it's lucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sar Athas
msg tools
The staggered rule was right. But did you move the obstacles when your runner went staggered?devil
It is mentioned in the section "Obstacles and Crossfire" on the Extraction mission card in the last paragraph. Obstacles attack as normal, but when a runner goes staggered, all obstacles facing that runner move to the client at the end of the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus O'Toole
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing that's easy to miss in the rules, is that if all your runners are staggered you lose. (See rulebook section 'Ending The Game' page 18). Which is why I prefer to solo with more than one runner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Sanders
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sarathas wrote:
The staggered rule was right. But did you move the obstacles when your runner went staggered?devil
It is mentioned in the section "Obstacles and Crossfire" on the Extraction mission card in the last paragraph. Obstacles attack as normal, but when a runner goes staggered, all obstacles facing that runner move to the client at the end of the turn.

tuathail wrote:
Another thing that's easy to miss in the rules, is that if all your runners are staggered you lose. (See rulebook section 'Ending The Game' page 18). Which is why I prefer to solo with more than one runner.

oh, bummer. I totally forgot about moving the obstacles, and tbh never noticed that thing about losing if all the runners are staggered, not even when we were playing as a group.

amazing how even when starting to draw crossfire events only on round four AND having multiple whips and cover fire it still doesn't seem like I've had a chance...

I guess I should work towards making more damage next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Mesas
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
tuathail wrote:

If I'm right, this failure only triggers if one of them becomes critical and all runners are staggered or critical at the end of the abort turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus O'Toole
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
luismesas wrote:
tuathail wrote:

If I'm right, this failure only triggers if one of them becomes critical and all runners are staggered or critical at the end of the abort turn?

Nope:
Quote:
Loss: If all runners become staggered or go critical, the
team loses the game and the runners receive no awards. Loss-
es often come during the abort run round.

Like I said, it's an easy rule to miss. But it is in a separate sub-section under 'Ending The Game', alongside the Win and Abort sub-sections.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sar Athas
msg tools
However, in the Extraction mission the client counts as a runner (section "The Client"), thus the whole group can get staggered without penalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Sanders
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sarathas wrote:
However, in the Extraction mission the client counts as a runner (section "The Client"), thus the whole group can get staggered without penalty.

that makes sense. however getting staggered would still mean the entire obstacle arsenal is facing the client.

I was doing a quick run of another solo extraction and found the numbers quite disturbing. during the 6 rounds we get:
5 normal obstacles (1 of which is flipped at the 6th round)
4 hard obstacles (2 of which are flipped at the 6th round)
3 HP healed (none at the 6th round)
2 "get 2 NY and buy one card" events (1 happens at the 5th round)
quite a few helpful card draws, but since in solo mode I found I rarely kept cards between rounds the only one that matters is the "draw 4 cards" at the 6th round.

ok, so where am I getting at with all of these numbers? I am looking at the final round:
we know we have 3 fresh obstacles, which will do 4-5 damage even if you manage to clear all previous obstacles. since that is very unlikely, most chances are we still have the 2 obstacles from round 5 at play and probably at least one of the obstacles from the earlier rounds. that's 6 obstacles with easily 8-10 damage for my single runner and the client to take.
so basically the ONLY chance of winning the mission is getting to the 6th round both in full health (I play human), distribute the obstacle damage evenly and prevent as much damage as possible, since there is no way my runner can take down more than one obstacle (most obstacles on the board are still in perfect health) in one round with the 6-7 cards in his hands.
this also explains my feeling throughout the mission - the 4 rounds seem promising and then in the two last rounds the table starts filling up with obstacles and the HP goes down like crazy.
that said - I get the feeling that on that last round doing damage and taking down obstacles is quite low on priority. the only thing that matters is stocking on dock wagons, whips and covering fire cards so restore as much health as possible while preventing as many obstacles from playing on that 6th crucial round.
that leaves quite a lot for luck, especially for a solo game (on my latest attempt I didn't get ANY of the above cards in the black market but a single covering fire card that came too late after my last purchase for the game).

I feel like they should've balanced that last round according to the number of players as well. the only difference between the 2 players and the 1 players variants on the last round is an extra card draw, but given the amount of freshly flipped obstacles this doesn't seem right for a single player variant. unless - as I mentioned - that one player's hand is packed with three specific card types.

maybe I am wrong. as I said earlier I still play without any upgrades so there might be an upgrade that would make this feat possible. but I find it a bit frustrating if the only solo mission in the core set is impossible due to poor balancing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game really isn't built to play with just one single Shadowrunner. Yes, they give you rules to play that way in Extraction, but with just one runner you can't use a lot of the mechanics that really make the game more survivable. Especially in this mission where cards like the Mono Whip, Tow Truck, Coordinated Attack, and Covering Fire are extremely useful, but severely handicapped or totally useless with just a single runner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Sanders
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmb
davro33 wrote:
The game really isn't built to play with just one single Shadowrunner. Yes, they give you rules to play that way in Extraction, but with just one runner you can't use a lot of the mechanics that really make the game more survivable. Especially in this mission where cards like the Mono Whip, Tow Truck, Coordinated Attack, and Covering Fire are extremely useful, but severely handicapped or totally useless with just a single runner.

so after realizing this must be true, I ran two games this weekend playing two runners. the only "tweak" I allowed myself to make was using the social adept and rigger roles from HCO even though I don't own the expansion (yet) to get a better distribution of cards in my starting decks.

I won both games, but both times I had some unexpected luck (e.g. "good" crossfire effects, or obstacles that healed a runner when defeated) and still barely made it out alive. I was just about to quit mid-game in a couple of occasions, sure that I am going to lose with a staggered runner and no way to prevent the next round's damage until I flipped that crossfire card to realize it would heal that runner or allow him to make an unexpected but crucial card draw.

it was a lot of fun, and surprisingly doable. especially after I barely even aborted successfully the crossfire missions with a full crew. they should make this one the "basic" mission, if you ask me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those games where the Crossfire card actually saves your team can be some of the best!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sar Athas
msg tools
davro33 wrote:
Those games where the Crossfire card actually saves your team can be some of the best!

I second that. There were a number of games where my mate wanted to abort and I stopped her by pointing to the Crossfire deck. For good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.