Hide
7 Posts

Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Replacing Market Cards Immediately rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moo Cow
msg tools
I'm more interested in other player's thoughts on this rule.

Admittedly, I haven't played a whole lot of Deckbuilders. However, every single one I've played, you immediately replace cards from the market as they're bought or removed.

I'm curious if the designers have a specific reason for not doing such in this game, and what people think of it so far.

A lot of the times it hasn't really mattered as I often find myself only wanting to or only being able to buy a single card. But it still feels like a strange mechanic choice to me, since it seems almost every other game works the opposite way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it's fine. Although deckbuilders tend to go the other way, I have played a number of other types of games that work this way.

I have no inside information as to why they chose this approach, but...

Creating new options in the middle of a turn can slow the turn down, potentially creating more downtime. Especially if you are now seeing a card for the very first time ever, which would happen a lot with new cards being added in each game.

Postponing a refill until the end of the turn allows for full reversibility. I could see that helping non-gamers as they muddle through, especially their first couple games. Kids, especially, might want to take back their first buy after the new card is revealed.

Perhaps they felt that doing several things as part of a "clean up" step would be less confusing to non-gamers.

I could imagine some game mechanisms that would take advantage of the rule as it is. Something like a card being more or less expensive or powerful based on how many cards are in the market. But I doubt that was a factor, if it hasn't already shown up by game 7. (I'm only on game 3.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moo Cow wrote:
Admittedly, I haven't played a whole lot of Deckbuilders. However, every single one I've played, you immediately replace cards from the market as they're bought or removed.

In the Cryptozoic deckbuilders (DC Comics, Lord of the Rings, etc.), cards aren't replaced until the end of the turn. The Ambush mechanic in Lord of the Rings relies on this procedure, actually. Also, in Cryptozoic games, running the deck out actually ends the game, which you wouldn't necessarily want to happen in mid-turn (particularly in the co-op DC Crisis versions).

There are probably other examples of end-of-turn card replacement, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Does it make the Hogwarts game any better/worse? I've only played through Game 5, so I'm not sure. Perhaps this is important for cards in boxes 6 and 7. If not, then yes - the game might be improved (made easier, certainly) by immediately replacing any purchased cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually like that the cards are replace at the end of the turn. No stopping and considering the next card that was flipped up. I am not sure it matters a whole lot if you play it the other way. I don't think it makes the game any easier either way you play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dnasearchr wrote:
I don't think it makes the game any easier either way you play the game.

I just meant easier in the sense that you might be able to purchase cards that you couldn't otherwise afford, thereby improving your deck.

Example: If you have 7 bucks, but everything costs 4, you might get lucky and flip up a useful 3-cost card after making your initial purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wolf
United States
Carlsbad
Unspecified
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
Moo Cow wrote:

I'm curious if the designers have a specific reason for not doing such in this game, and what people think of it so far.

A lot of the times it hasn't really mattered as I often find myself only wanting to or only being able to buy a single card. But it still feels like a strange mechanic choice to me, since it seems almost every other game works the opposite way.

We tested it both ways, and decided that especially for new players, replacing everything at the end of turn (Hogwarts cards, Villains, etc.) was the simpler approach. Since we were particularly mindful of making things a little easier for new players less familiar with deck-building games, we went that direction. It also makes decisions on what to acquire a little easier, since there are only 6 cards to consider, instead of 6 plus whatever new cards you might reveal. so the decision was more for simplification than anything else.

You are welcome to house-rule your game play if you want things to cycle through immediately. It won't adversely affect things, so if you feel more comfortable playing that way, have at it!

Andrew Wolf
Game Designer - USAopoly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moo Cow
msg tools
nethershadow wrote:
Moo Cow wrote:

We tested it both ways, and decided that especially for new players, replacing everything at the end of turn (Hogwarts cards, Villains, etc.) was the simpler approach. Since we were particularly mindful of making things a little easier for new players less familiar with deck-building games, we went that direction. It also makes decisions on what to acquire a little easier, since there are only 6 cards to consider, instead of 6 plus whatever new cards you might reveal. so the decision was more for simplification than anything else.

You are welcome to house-rule your game play if you want things to cycle through immediately. It won't adversely affect things, so if you feel more comfortable playing that way, have at it!

Andrew Wolf
Game Designer - USAopoly

That's good to hear - I may actually try to play it that way. Thanks for replying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.