Squad Leader» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Scenario 1: The Guards Counterattack rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
The Guards Counterattack, Scenario One

The following journal was recently discovered in a abandoned Russian POW camp. This entry has been translated from German and is dated Oct 10, 1942.

I am Col Wetzelberge. It’s been four days since my capture at Stalingrad. I am writing down the events of that day so that my superiors will have an accurate account of what happened, as it appears unlikely I will survive much longer.

We’ve been fighting the Russians in Stalingrad for just over a week now. Our forces are beginning to thin with little sign of relief. It feels that for each block we gain, a different block is lost. Finally, on October 6, 1942 we met our match… the crack 37th Guards.

Cpl Pollack had taken the key factory with three squads of riflemen. I sent Sgt Kelso with 3 squads to cover his west (left) flank. Sgt Hamblen and 3 squads occupied the stone warehouse on the right flank. I set up in a small stone shop, with 3 squads to the south of the factory. We aimed our 3 LMG (Light Machine Guns) up the street to deter any advance on the factory from the west. Nearby Sgt Hieken gave support to Stg Hamblen by covering his flank from a eastern flanking maneuver.

We had a beautiful concave line, with multiple LMGs covering each street, protecting the factory from attack on most sides. A few Russian rifle squads were littering the north and northeast buildings. But they were unable to advance due to our brilliant defensive positions.

Then the unexpected happened. Elements of the 2nd Bn, 37th Guards arrived in the northwest. 12 squads strong led by the courageous Col Berki.

Some of Col Berki’s Guards opened up with machine gun fire against Sgt Hamblen and his men on the left flank. They began to break when Sgt Hamblen was wounded. Also, the riflemen took this as their cue and began to assault the factory from the north, breaking some of Cpl Pollack’s men.

With Pollack being suppressed, six squads of guards raced across the street to assault Sgt Kelso. Three of the squads were turned back by the machine guns manned by Cpl Pollack’s remaining unbroken men. But the other three squads reached the left building and advanced to assault. The men were suppressed and couldn’t rout, unable to flee the advancing guards. I tried to support Sgt Kelso, but we couldn’t get much of a sighting of the Russian forces within the stone building. Sgt Kelso showed German Courage and, in a blaze of gunfire and grenades, led his last squad and died courageously eliminating 3 full squads of Russian Guards.

Meanwhile Cpl Pollack fully broke in the centre from fire by Col Berki’s 3 squads, and was subsequently overrun. I lost sight of him in the depths of the Tractor Works, but I never saw him again.

The situation was looking bleak. In a matter of minutes we lost our left flank, the factory was being overrun, and nearly half the squads under my command were eliminated. I ordered Sgt Hieken to abandon his HMG (Heavy Machine Gun) and they dashed to the left flank while my men were able to suppress the last of the Russian Guards within. Upon Sgt Hieken’s the left flank was (tenaciously) secured again.

The Russian’s took the next few minutes rallying his broken guard units in the NW, and exchanging firepower with Sgt Hamblen on our right flank. We aimed our LMGs NE up the street to support Sgt Hamblen, but we couldn’t suppress enough of the Russian Riflemen and Sgt Hamblen’s men began to break.

The Russians charged both flanks and our LMGs chose this time to run out of ammunition. I began to cry as I saw Sgt Hieken assaulted by 3 squads of the 37th Gaurds, and Sgt Hamblen was routed from his building on the right flank.

My squads continued to attack without our LMGs and we managed to break some of the Russian Riflemen, but being incredibly outnumbered, we couldn’t do enough to stop them from killing both Sgts Hieken and Hamblen as they tried to regain control of their men in full rout.

In the next few minutes, the Russians had us surrounded on the west, north and east. They opened fire on our location and two of my squads were suppressed. The Russians then charged our shop and we cut down two rifle squads as they advanced. It wasn’t enough though, and our injured squads couldn’t rout, as there was no safe route to safety. Three squads of Russian Guards assaulted us, and grenades and SMG fire filled the air. I blacked out when a concussion grenade burst behind my back and I felt my body being flung forward.

When I eventually awoke, I found myself in a dimly lit room with Col Berki glowering over me saying “You are now a prisoner of the 37th Guards.”

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris reichl

Appleton
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember playing Squad Leader with a dear friend of mine years ago, he had them ALL (Cross of Iron, GI Anvil, Crescendo..) and he always said the same thing "I don't get it your tactics are sound, but your die rolls are just terrible."
I was the guy whose LMGS always missed, or jammed or worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United Kingdom
Driffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting - this is the scenario that I and many others cut their SL, and later ASL, teeth on. Oh the memories........

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Vater
Germany
Cologne
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
very vivid account, thank you very much for posting it.

it almost made me searching for that orange-black box
again...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
Radetzkymarsch wrote:

again...
Almost?...
Quick Randy, write another one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian morris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Mids
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Loved your AAR, and pleased to see that Wetzelberge has been promoted : as Captain Wetzelberge, he's the only SMC ever to survive a flamethrower attack from his own side !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Vater
Germany
Cologne
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alright, matthijs, you got me there

as a matter of fact i actually don't have to search for it -
i know EXACTLY where i put it !

roll low, pals

jan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh no! Now what's Randy doing?

I picked up the old ASL rules on Saturday before our game day for aus$5, and I've asked Randy to pick up the ASLSK1 for me... I guess he's revisiting his old Squad Leader games so that, in the near future, he can crush me like the inexperienced wargamer I am!

Great report, Randy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trencher for Life
United States
Slidell
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Radetzkymarsch wrote:

again...

*Rliyen makes his way, zombie style towards his games closet*

Must... play.... Squad Leader....

Awesome write up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great AAR.

PLEASE GIVE US MOOOORE...
zombiezombiezombie

I remember the Guards Counterattack, never managed to win that one with the Germans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.