Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/7/26/1552616/-Russian-Hac...

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/all-signs-point-to-russia-b...

Quote:
The metadata in the leaked documents are perhaps most revealing: one dumped document was modified using Russian language settings, by a user named “Феликс Эдмундович,” a code name referring to the founder of the Soviet Secret Police, the Cheka, memorialised in a 15-ton iron statue in front of the old KGB headquarters during Soviet times. The original intruders made other errors: one leaked document included hyperlink error messages in Cyrillic, the result of editing the file on a computer with Russian language settings. After this mistake became public, the intruders removed the Cyrillic information from the metadata in the next dump and carefully used made-up user names from different world regions, thereby confirming they had made a mistake in the first round.

Then there is the language issue. “I hate being attributed to Russia,” the Guccifer 2.0 account told Motherboard, probably accurately. The person at the keyboard then claimed in a chat with Motherboard’s Lorenzo Franceschi-Bicchierai that Guccifer 2.0 was from Romania, like the original Guccifer, a well-known hacker. But when asked to explain his hack in Romanian, he was unable to respond colloquially and without errors. Guccifer 2.0’s English initially was also weak, but in subsequent posts the quality improved sharply, albeit only on political subjects, not in technical matters—an indication of a team of operators at work behind the scenes.

Rid went on to add:

The metadata show that the Russian operators apparently edited some documents, and in some cases created new documents after the intruders were already expunged from the DNC network on June 11. A file called donors.xls, for instance, was created more than a day after the story came out, on June 15, most likely by copy-pasting an existing list into a clean document. Although so far the actual content of the leaked documents appears not to have been tampered with, manipulation would fit an established pattern of operational behaviour in other contexts, such as troll farms or planting fake media stories. Subtle (or not so subtle) manipulation of content may be in the interest of the adversary in the future. Documents that were leaked by or through an intelligence operation should be handled with great care, and journalists should not simply treat them as reliable sources.

Tim at Peacock Panache expands on this further and in spectacular fashion:


I'm sad that Wikileaks has been lost as a good source.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Drew1365 wrote:
These two articles are from July.

Since 'moi' TOOK that "TRUMP-test" and it resulted in July 15, 2016? "OMENIST"?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
Drew1365 wrote:
These two articles are from July.

further proof that metadata was altered
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Drew1365 wrote:
These two articles are from July.
single sentences wrote:

further proof that metadata was altered
Yeah! Naught the 'slightest mention' for UPON "4th of July" activities? How UN-Americanny.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
These two articles are from July.



Yes so anything after that date is suspect.

In any case, once the source was polluted, wikileaks should have dropped that entire "leak". They didnt.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Drew1365 wrote:
These two articles are from July.

maxo-texas wrote:

Yes so anything after that date is suspect.
surprise Was it AFTER the "New Zodiac SIGN" appeared? Yeah, them 'NEO-sort' may have become "miffed" with theirs then, and some.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oldies but Goodies ... Avalon Hill and
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
These two articles are from July.



Yes so anything after that date is suspect.

In any case, once the source was polluted, wikileaks should have dropped that entire "leak". They didnt.

But Assange doesn't have any other tricks that will keep the spotlight and the audience focused on him. Take away Wikileaks and he's just another sad-sack fugitive taking up space in the Ecuadorian Embassy. They'll eventually run out of patience and turn him over to the British authorities.

We need to stop making heroes of spies. They're not hip-glorious James Bonds. They're seedy little men like Alec Leamus and George Smiley - or the real-world Kim Philby and so-far-anonymous Russian operatives.

6 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
Avatar
mbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
SPIGuy wrote:
We need to stop making heroes of spies.


Well, it's not like we're ever going to get information from Journalists.


well not information you'd actually accept hearing.
5 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
SPIGuy wrote:
We need to stop making heroes of spies.


Well, it's not like we're ever going to get information from Journalists.


Well.. maybe some information. But definitely not journalism.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
Sarxis wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
SPIGuy wrote:
We need to stop making heroes of spies.


Well, it's not like we're ever going to get information from Journalists.


Well.. maybe some information. But definitely not journalism.

we only get journalism from known frauds like james okeefe
8 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
These two articles are from July.



Yes so anything after that date is suspect.


No, it suggests to me that if there really was something to it, then why wasn't the instant response of Hillary, Podesta, et al over the last few weeks to say "Hey, look at this article from July that was posted on Daily Kos!"?

Instead, their embarrassed reactions tells me that the e-mails released by Wikileaks is pretty accurate.



Because tho the truth will out; it takes time.


http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2016/oct/23/...

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/13/politics/russia-us-election/

http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/10/russia-linked-phishi...

http://www.wsj.com/articles/top-russian-officials-shift-away...

But you don't care. You'd prefer for the russian government to fuck with our presidential election over knowing the truth.

Which is really amazing since you are not going to vote for Trump.

You are the most dedicated person not voting for Trump in america.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
These two articles are from July.



Yes so anything after that date is suspect.


No, it suggests to me that if there really was something to it, then why wasn't the instant response of Hillary, Podesta, et al over the last few weeks to say "Hey, look at this article from July that was posted on Daily Kos!"?

Instead, their embarrassed reactions tells me that the e-mails released by Wikileaks is pretty accurate.



Because tho the truth will out; it takes time.


http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2016/oct/23/...

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/13/politics/russia-us-election/

http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/10/russia-linked-phishi...

http://www.wsj.com/articles/top-russian-officials-shift-away...

But you don't care. You'd prefer for the russian government to fuck with our presidential election over knowing the truth.

Which is really amazing since you are not going to vote for Trump.

You are the most dedicated person not voting for Trump in america.


Have the Democrats in the emails and Hillary Clinton officially come out on the record saying that specific claims in the emails are lies and never occurred and/or are factually untrue?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
jageroxorz wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

Have the Democrats in the emails and Hillary Clinton officially come out on the record saying that specific claims in the emails are lies and never occurred and/or are factually untrue?

See that first link of Mac's. Kaine says the one which mentions him is factually untrue, but the article says the one person who could confirm what Kaine says declined to comment. It ends with some speculation on why the Clinton campaign might not want to publish original emails.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
jageroxorz wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

Have the Democrats in the emails and Hillary Clinton officially come out on the record saying that specific claims in the emails are lies and never occurred and/or are factually untrue?

See that first link of Mac's. Kaine says the one which mentions him is factually untrue, but the article says the one person who could confirm what Kaine says declined to comment. It ends with some speculation on why the Clinton campaign might not want to publish original emails.

I lean towards the idea that once a campaign starts preemptively denying the authenticity of something as easily alterable as emails, they'll spend all of their time doing it. Only when they're pressed should they deny and then pivot as fast as possible to issue or their opponent.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:
kuhrusty wrote:
jageroxorz wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

Have the Democrats in the emails and Hillary Clinton officially come out on the record saying that specific claims in the emails are lies and never occurred and/or are factually untrue?

See that first link of Mac's. Kaine says the one which mentions him is factually untrue, but the article says the one person who could confirm what Kaine says declined to comment. It ends with some speculation on why the Clinton campaign might not want to publish original emails.

I lean towards the idea that once a campaign starts preemptively denying the authenticity of something as easily alterable as emails, they'll spend all of their time doing it. Only when they're pressed should they deny and then pivot as fast as possible to issue or their opponent.


In the debate, Trump brought them up, and Hillary did not deny.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools

Quote:
The metadata in the leaked documents are perhaps most revealing: one dumped document was modified using Russian language settings, by a user named “Феликс Эдмундович,” a code name referring to the founder of the Soviet Secret Police, the Cheka, memorialised in a 15-ton iron statue in front of the old KGB headquarters during Soviet times. [b].

They used the real name of "Iron Felix" as a code name???? Jesus and Mary, that's stupid.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fwiw, I agree the emails probably have a lot of unpleasant things in them. Blunt comments about various voting groups.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:

Quote:
The metadata in the leaked documents are perhaps most revealing: one dumped document was modified using Russian language settings, by a user named “Феликс Эдмундович,” a code name referring to the founder of the Soviet Secret Police, the Cheka, memorialised in a 15-ton iron statue in front of the old KGB headquarters during Soviet times. [b].

They used the real name of "Iron Felix" as a code name???? Jesus and Mary, that's stupid.


Unless it was non-Russians trying to blame Russia
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I automatically take anything from hackers with a grain of salt. Whistle blowers are much more believable. That being said, I'd hope that whistle-blowers provide their information to more than just Wikileaks just for corroboration. There is no real way of knowing what, if any, agenda the people behind Wikileaks has. You give your data dump over to Fox, NBC, CNN, NPR and Wikileaks and anyone makes an "edited" claim can be fact checked.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Drew1365 wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
But you don't care. You'd prefer for the russian government to fuck with our presidential election over knowing the truth.


I will transmit this information to Vladimir.

Quit Putin'g us on.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
jageroxorz wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

Quote:
The metadata in the leaked documents are perhaps most revealing: one dumped document was modified using Russian language settings, by a user named “Феликс Эдмундович,” a code name referring to the founder of the Soviet Secret Police, the Cheka, memorialised in a 15-ton iron statue in front of the old KGB headquarters during Soviet times. [b].

They used the real name of "Iron Felix" as a code name???? Jesus and Mary, that's stupid.


Unless it was non-Russians trying to blame Russia

Or maybe it was Russians using non-Russians to make it look like someone was trying to blame Russia. Or a sophisticated CIA operation designed to fan the flames for war, thus pleasing the military-industrial complex that controls everything (with, of course, the blessings of the Illuminati, the World Dominionists, and our Reptilian overlords).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
jageroxorz wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

Quote:
The metadata in the leaked documents are perhaps most revealing: one dumped document was modified using Russian language settings, by a user named “Феликс Эдмундович,” a code name referring to the founder of the Soviet Secret Police, the Cheka, memorialised in a 15-ton iron statue in front of the old KGB headquarters during Soviet times. [b].

They used the real name of "Iron Felix" as a code name???? Jesus and Mary, that's stupid.


Unless it was non-Russians trying to blame Russia

Or maybe it was Russians using non-Russians to make it look like someone was trying to blame Russia. Or a sophisticated CIA operation designed to fan the flames for war, thus pleasing the military-industrial complex that controls everything (with, of course, the blessings of the Illuminati, the World Dominionists, and our Reptilian overlords).


Yeah, the point is you don't know, and it's really hard to know unless a state actually claims responsibility.

Which is why it seems crazy that Hillary is claiming that we know 100% it's Russia, and is risking hostilities over it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
Avatar
mbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Occam's Razor tells us that the simplest explanation is most likely the accurate one. That the e-mails released by Wikileaks are unaltered from their original state.

Once you start getting into Russians downloading and altering them for maximum horrors then trying to cover their tracks, etc. . . yeah, that's a lot more tin-foil-hat territory than the notion that they've been released as is.

I have no idea why Hillary is sabre-rattling at Russia. Of the two candidates, Hillary is most likely to turn this cold war hot.


This is in response to a thread topic about how there was proof that some were altered.

"Some were altered, so the simplest answer is that none of them were altered".
8 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Occam's Razor tells us that the simplest explanation is most likely the accurate one. That the e-mails released by Wikileaks are unaltered from their original state.

Once you start getting into Russians downloading and altering them for maximum horrors then trying to cover their tracks, etc. . . yeah, that's a lot more tin-foil-hat territory than the notion that they've been released as is.

I have no idea why Hillary is sabre-rattling at Russia. Of the two candidates, Hillary is most likely to turn this cold war hot.


Quote:
The metadata in the leaked documents are perhaps most revealing: one dumped document was modified using Russian language settings, by a user named “Феликс Эдмундович,” a code name referring to the founder of the Soviet Secret Police, the Cheka, memorialised in a 15-ton iron statue in front of the old KGB headquarters during Soviet times. The original intruders made other errors: one leaked document included hyperlink error messages in Cyrillic, the result of editing the file on a computer with Russian language settings. After this mistake became public, the intruders removed the Cyrillic information from the metadata in the next dump and carefully used made-up user names from different world regions, thereby confirming they had made a mistake in the first round.

Then there is the language issue. “I hate being attributed to Russia,” the Guccifer 2.0 account told Motherboard, probably accurately. The person at the keyboard then claimed in a chat with Motherboard’s Lorenzo Franceschi-Bicchierai that Guccifer 2.0 was from Romania, like the original Guccifer, a well-known hacker. But when asked to explain his hack in Romanian, he was unable to respond colloquially and without errors. Guccifer 2.0’s English initially was also weak, but in subsequent posts the quality improved sharply, albeit only on political subjects, not in technical matters—an indication of a team of operators at work behind the scenes.

Rid went on to add:

The metadata show that the Russian operators apparently edited some documents, and in some cases created new documents after the intruders were already expunged from the DNC network on June 11. A file called donors.xls, for instance, was created more than a day after the story came out, on June 15, most likely by copy-pasting an existing list into a clean document. Although so far the actual content of the leaked documents appears not to have been tampered with, manipulation would fit an established pattern of operational behaviour in other contexts, such as troll farms or planting fake media stories. Subtle (or not so subtle) manipulation of content may be in the interest of the adversary in the future. Documents that were leaked by or through an intelligence operation should be handled with great care, and journalists should not simply treat them as reliable sources.

Tim at Peacock Panache expands on this further and in spectacular fashion:
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Occam's Razor tells us that the simplest explanation is most likely the accurate one. That the e-mails released by Wikileaks are unaltered from their original state.

Once you start getting into Russians downloading and altering them for maximum horrors then trying to cover their tracks, etc. . . yeah, that's a lot more tin-foil-hat territory than the notion that they've been released as is.

I have no idea why Hillary is sabre-rattling at Russia. Of the two candidates, Hillary is most likely to turn this cold war hot.


This is in response to a thread topic about how there was proof that some were altered.

"Some were altered, so the simplest answer is that none of them were altered".

Otherwise known as Occam's Flamethrower
7 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.