Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of you probably noticed this game high up in the hotness list, some of you maybe followed this a bit or watched some of the reviews, alot of you already are following this.
We really where into the hype, loved how Riot promoted this game. So I was ready when the orders opened up and after 30min of refreshing I managed to get in and order a copy (Riot was totally overwhelmed by the amount of people and their website had trouble managing the traffic, they apologize for this on numerous occasions).
Today our copy arrived.

Not my picture
This is a beautiful looking coop game inspired by (and made by the same company that made) League of Legends in which you program your mech to destroy lots of minions (hence the name ☺).
Components in this are just stellar, big sturdy box, beautiful inserts, prepainted mechs, prewashed minions, big envolops that contain the mission (and new cards and stuff), really top notch.

We managed to get our first quick game in after work. We used the tutorial mission included to learn the game.
It explains al the mechanics in an easy to understand and fun way.
Most of this I knew already from watching Rahdo's runthrough on this, but my gf didn't yet. I love how they used the tutorial to introduce new stuff step by step. It is our first "programming" game and my gf really like being introduced slowly into al this.

After playing the tutorial the game instructed us the open the first mission envelope but it was getting late and it was a long day at work so we decided to wait and open the envelope and play the mission tommorow.

Very early to say much about the game but our first impression is very very very positive. Really impressed by everything and can hardly wait to play our first mission tommorow.
More to come.

Mission 1

Just finished our first real game, the first mission.
It was still very basic giving us time to get used to the programming and how the minions move and attack. Since this mission is very basic I'm not gone use spoiler tags yet, maybe for updates on future missions I'll use them not to spoil the suprise for those who don't want to. (Loved how Rahdo kept his runthrough very low on spoilers, never watched anything else cause I like the suprise when opening new envelopes.)
We got our first special ability, these cards get triggered after you kill a certain number of enemies giving very cool one time or permanent abilities.
In this we had tho push or tow a bomb from the school to a repair spot. As soon as the bomb left the school it introduced the hourglass putting a timer on the drafting of our programming cards. Very fun how the hourglass forced us to plan before seeing the cards, and then coming up with something else if the cards don't come your way.
The mission wasn't to hard, the bomb started with 5 hit point and we finished with 3 left. Al in al a very first mission, looking very much forward to the next one. We haven't opened the envelope yet (but from the name I know it's the one rahdo did a runthrough on).

Mission 2

This I would call the first real mission, there is a real threat here, waves of minions keep coming and keeping the school safe (it only has 1 health) can be a though puzzle to Crack.
We played this mission 3 times. Our first game we made an big mistake we forgot to escalate the mission when we picked up crystals.
Try 2 we lost, to much minions closed in on the school and 1 slipped by blowing up the school.
Our 3th go we came very close to losing but we always just where able to figure out the way kill the dangerous minions.

We had a blast and thnx to a big rush for the last crystal by my gf we managed to get the win.
Very cool mission, our first real challenge so far and really loved it.
Also now we listen to the very cool mission intros on the riot website (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/featured/mechs-vs-minions/c...) which are very funny and set the setting.
Looking forward to try the next mission (we are going into spoiler territories from now so from now on I'll be using spoiler tags should I do more updates).

Mission 3

We finished today with our first play of mission 3.
This mission really goes into spoiler territories, so I'll be brief in my general description.
Damn this is a fun great game. it really managed to get a different feel across in the different missions so far. the mechanics are great. GAME is balanced very nice, it came down to the wire, we managed to win the turn the minion phase would have caused us to lose the game. Love this game.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Wow, the big boss gets introduced, he looks so impressive.

I had not taken a peak before the mission said to open the box, managed to avoid spoilers. His programming worked so great, the mix between random stuff he did and things we could plan on was excellent. We had some strange luck, the minions al got pushed towards one corner and the boss moved around in the opposite corner. The cornered boss did offer some difficulty in moving into position on him (big pool of oil next to him), but we managed. the moment we got our 3th same color card on him we only needed to do 1 more damage, all runes where active but my gf as first player managed to disable the green run and I finished the boss with a green damage. Great ending loved it.

Mission 4

We finished our weekend of Mechs VS Minions with our 4th mission.
This mission gave us a different challenge, we liked how it mixed stuff up from previous missions on a subtle level.
We had a great time again, love this game.
Next part some spoilers about this mission,
This mission gave us a continuous flow of minions coming at us while we had to move against the flow and reach the other side.

If 1 reaches our side we lose. AND when we step onto a the second tile we start spawning 2 rows, tile 3 and it ramps up to 3.
We went for a very slow approach, I went for low lvl omnistomp combined with chain lighting and flamespitter. My gf went for an approach with more turns with damage in between. We build up while still on tile 1 and only started moving up when we where decently programmed.
Early on we had a few crazy turn where we had to reprogram alot to kill that 1 minion that was about to lose us the game.
Once we started moving up we where running properly and had our big schematics unlocked we blasted through. 1 or 2 tense moments on tile 2 but we managed. my gf blew up her fuel tank when she got to tile 3 blowing up almost (3 remained) every minion on the board. we walked to our victory right after that.

After our game for the first time since getting it we put the game back in the box (work is not gone allow us to play this week), the insert worked great. everything fitted back in the box without a problem and between the 2 of us putting the minions back didn't take to long.

So we now played through the first 4 missions and the tutorial, played a total of 7 games. We really really love this game, I'm rating this a 9 so far, but that could change as we play through the rest of the campaign. So far I see us certainly running through this campaign multiple times, maybe except mission 1 (felt that was still more a tutorial mission).
We certainly like how this plays with 2 players, would think it's a bit harder the 3 or 4 especially early on (the first turn draft gives every player 2 cards no matter what playercount, so 4 players start with 8 cards total, with 2 it's only 4), but later I think we have alot more gain from our continued 2 card draft, being able to heal and get a card or heal and swap stuff like that. Overall we certainly liked this as a 2 player game.
Only downside so far it feels a bit to easy, most of our wins had a few tense moments but expect for mission 2 (so far the hardest mission with 2 players) we won them al.
Granted we are pretty experience coop players and we certainly take our time discussing strategies, but I feel like we should have lost more.
The later missions will probably be harder, but I just hope once we played through it al we will be able to do something to ramp up difficulty from the start to play it al a second time.

Now I'm going to wait for the weekend to begin so we can play this some more.

Mission 5

Quick update on our play of mission 5. Like this alot, introduced a new cool thing mixed in. Like this mission alot.

I do now start to think the game is a tad to easy, maybe that's cause we play with 2, don't know.
Still very much looking forward to the next mission cause I do keep seeing new cool stuff.

Update: Mission 6

Started today with a new mission.
Another nice change from previous missions, very cool how it changed up our game.
This mission introduces rune gates, and features another appearance of the big boss. The lava and spike wall do a nice job of constricting our movement.

We didn't have to much problem winning this.

Update: Mission 7

Went straight into this one. This is definitely is a mission that ramps up the difficulty at lower player count. Very tense mission we liked it alot.
This really enhances on the rune gates that got introduced in the previous mission. that combined with 3 sides the minions are coming from, the 4 crystals we need to gather, made this a though nut to Crack.

We tried the mission twice first go started alright but not knowing the mission yet we screwed up. Try 2 we had a terrible start, first 2 draft phases only 1 movement card total, getting me stuck on my start space. We never really recovered from that bad start.
Looking forward to trying this again.

Will update this with our impression as we go on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, looking forward for more!

I am still waiting for my copy to arrive cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mission 3 added now.
Now working on mission 4, we'll see when we win that, then I'll update here.

Spoiler tags are used for a reason, some mayor spoilers (pictures) in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mission 4 also added now. also a first impression based on our plays so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.