Hide
7 Posts

Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » Rules

Subject: Mechs vs minions - movement and damage questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nancy Stolz
msg tools
I just started playing MvM yesterday. Total fun! But I ran into a problem (well, a minion) during the "Minions Attack" phase. My mech was about to be attacked by Minion A and minion B. I was resolving the first damage card (caused by minion A) "Stuck Controls" which forced my mech 1 space to the right before requiring me to place the damage on my command line. That move moved me away from minion B, but then I was next to a new minion, minion C.

I have 2 questions:
(1) If while resolving damage from an attacking minion a mech moves out of reach of one or more minions who would have attacked, is the mech free of those second, and possibly third, attacks?

(2) If while resolving damage from an attacking minion a mech moves next to 1 or more new minions, will those second, and possibly third, minions attack the mech?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Minion damage is done in turn order starting with the first player. First, you count how many minions are adjacent to that player's mech, and while the damage happens simultaneously, you process that damage 1 card at a time in the order that you drew it. If damage causes you to move locations, you still process the damage based on your original location since it thematically happened simultaneously. You do not take new damage from minions based on where you moved to, but it is possible to take damage from Lava or Spiked Walls in later missions if that's where the damage leads you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Lopuszanski
United States
North Wales
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So hear me roar! RAWR!
badge
Her Serenity, The Lady of Pain.
mbmbmbmbmb
Riot Kades wrote:
Minion damage is done in turn order starting with the first player. First, you count how many minions are adjacent to that player's mech, and while the damage happens simultaneously, you process that damage 1 card at a time in the order that you drew it. If damage causes you to move locations, you still process the damage based on your original location since it thematically happened simultaneously. You do not take new damage from minions based on where you moved to, but it is possible to take damage from Lava or Spiked Walls in later missions if that's where the damage leads you.

You should definitely clarify all that in the rulebook. Like "order of operations" for damage, such that minions deal damage first, then resolve, then terrain deals damage.

What happens if a lava terrain damages you and pushes you into a different lava tile?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stexe wrote:
You should definitely clarify all that in the rulebook. Like "order of operations" for damage, such that minions deal damage first, then resolve, then terrain deals damage.

That's incorrect, though. The lava/spikes damage might interrupt the damage dealt by the minions.

Take the example that you are under attack by two minions. You draw the two cards face-down, then flip and resolve the first. It pushes you into lava so you draw a third card and you resolve that third one. You still have the card from the second minion to resolve, so you now flip it and resolve it.

It's impossible to define an order here apart from to use the rules as currently written. Determine and draw your damage cards before resolving any, then if those happen to cause more damage, resolve that immediately before going to resolving your stack of face-down cards.

Quote:
What happens if a lava terrain damages you and pushes you into a different lava tile?

You immediately resolve another damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick Ernst
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper speaks the Truth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Varsos
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do I understand it right that if you get one of the Slot Damage cards and you place in row 4 do you discard all of the cards you had in row 4 like normal if you were to place a different type of card on it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MammothBus wrote:
Do I understand it right that if you get one of the Slot Damage cards and you place in row 4 do you discard all of the cards you had in row 4 like normal if you were to place a different type of card on it?

You don't understand it right, unfortunately. Here's the description of executing Slot Damage from the rules:

MvM Rules - Damage wrote:
• For all damage types, first execute the instructions on the
Damage Card.
• If it’s Slot Damage, roll a Number Die. Place the Damage
Card on top of any Command Cards in the slot that matches
the Number Die. If the slot is already damaged, replace
the old damage with the new damage. Whenever you next
execute your Command Line, execute the Damage Card
as if it was a Command Card.

So you put the Damage Card over the Command Cards, and if you later repair that Damage, you get the Command Cards below it back into your program.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.