Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » General

Subject: I made a game board rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Jordan
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Hey, so I made this game board for STA today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Deusen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blount
United States
Atascadero
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's awesome!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is cool, but I'm not sure about the round play area with the home systems right on the edge.

The recommended placement with a 3x3 play area gives each player a little room to "hide" systems in the corner. I actually did that with a Hazard Level 6 nebula, so I could ensure I had it to myself.

This setup eliminates that, and I assume the actual play area is smaller.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Jordan
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
cheng wrote:
It is cool, but I'm not sure about the round play area with the home systems right on the edge.

The recommended placement with a 3x3 play area gives each player a little room to "hide" systems in the corner. I actually did that with a Hazard Level 6 nebula, so I could ensure I had it to myself.

This setup eliminates that, and I assume the actual play area is smaller.

Crap, you're actually completely right on all counts. Oh well, first try. Maybe I'll call this the "quick play" board and try again for a "recommended play" board. Thanks for the heads up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the concept.

I'm struggling with setup right now. We usually play games on my dining room table because it's huge (seats 10), but we played this on my game room table, which is an old dining room table with a laminated top. So I used painter's masking tape to setup a 3x3 square.

I plan on buying the official game mat for ease of setup and portability. But the components were a challenge. I managed to fit the common components (nodes, etc.) in a Plano box that we passed around as needed.

Still looking for that perfect solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Summers
msg tools

That is a thing of beauty sir and I commend you.

Quote:
Crap, you're actually completely right on all counts. Oh well, first try. Maybe I'll call this the "quick play" board and try again for a "recommended play" board. Thanks for the heads up!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no groove that the planet sits in is there? So can you not just push the planets closer in? Or are they already at the recommended 18" distance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this is totally awesome but as mentioned, the home systems should be 5" from the edge of the play area and 18" from each other. but wow this is cool. now i want one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Jordan
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
DaveSumm wrote:

Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no groove that the planet sits in is there? So can you not just push the planets closer in? Or are they already at the recommended 18" distance?

The way it's pictured, the planets are already 18 inches apart. Darn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Jordan
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Klaxas wrote:
this is totally awesome but as mentioned, the home systems should be 5" from the edge of the play area and 18" from each other. but wow this is cool. now i want one.

I'm already working on a new larger version. I'll count this one as usable for a "quick" game. Maybe pair it with the optional rule "Faster Ascension".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the extravagance of a fully-sculpted board like that. LOL. I bet GF9 will get a kick out of seeing it.

Others have already pointed out the spacing. Personally, I don't think the square play mat is supposed to be the ideal play area. I believe a 3' square is simply a standard size, so they took advantage of it. A circle is ideal. You just have to incorporate the extra 5" each homeworld gets from the outer edge.

Looking forward to your next attempt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Summers
msg tools
andyjobo wrote:
DaveSumm wrote:

Quote:

The way it's pictured, the planets are already 18 inches apart. Darn

I wouldn't lose any sleep over the 5" personally. Maybe it's preferable, but part of the charm is you can play on any size, any distance and customise as you want. I mean really, particularly on a circular area, the angle that you can squeeze a planet in compared to your table is probably outweighed by the general luck swings of the game anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andyjobo wrote:
Klaxas wrote:

I'm already working on a new larger version. I'll count this one as usable for a "quick" game. Maybe pair it with the optional rule "Faster Ascension".

You might want to convert this to component storage and modify to hold the future expansions. They provided 10 turn order cards so 7 more expansions seem likely. ☺

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Summers
msg tools
You need 10 in order to use the 'mystery turn order' rules in a five player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveSumm wrote:
You need 10 in order to use the 'mystery turn order' rules in a five player.

Thanks. I haven't read the variants yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Jordan
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Quick update for ya'll. We played a 3-player game on the board tonight. We used the variant rule "Easier Ascension" (only takes 4 culture to ascend instead of 5). Overall, the game went very well and we were able to finish in 2 hours 45 minutes. I would say the game did not suffer from a lack of 5" space behind starting systems. Indeed, we all noted the cramped quarters and begin very efficiently placing our systems on the board. To this end, the the Klingon player actually did not connect to the other two until the VERY LAST TURN, when in fact the board was so locked in place there was exactly ONE WAY to connect and he spent MANY actions (like 8 altogether) moving at impulse, rolling for a space lane, not getting the EXACT length needed, backing up and trying again. In the end, I won as the federation. Having two ships in warp for multiple turns I was able to backdoor the Romulan player and perform Hegemony on both Romulus and the only other system he had a starbase. As a result, he had no valid locations to produce more ships, and having only 2 on the board, he conceded to me. This left the Klingon player, who, like I described above, barely managed to connect in the last turn. He made one last push to attack me, but it was too late. I had two full battle fleets at the only way in and I easily defeated any ships he sent in. In the last turn, both me and the Klingon ascended to 5, resulting in a tie-breaker; I had one more control node than him and won. WOW what a nail-biter.

All in all, it worked out very well and I would conclude the board will work exceptionally well as a "fast play" mode, possibly also very useful for conventions when you have a 4 hour slot to fill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oof. You're willing to drag that around for a quick convention game? How heavy is it?

I went with a bit of metal wire to make my game borders, and I quickly realized that a 3' circle is pretty big. Not wanting to essentially carry a hula hoop around with me, I folded the wire a couple of times to fit it in my big duffel. But getting it to look nice again proved impossible. I bet a game shop would like a dedicated setup like yours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Whitesell

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this looks like a really cool "scrum" map. Fast Ascension is the right call, I think. Your design is outstanding. I'm wondering if you couldn't cut a star mat to fit and then stain and seal everything else. That would be gorgeous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Jordan
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
japester1 wrote:
Oof. You're willing to drag that around for a quick convention game? How heavy is it?

It's really not that heavy, maybe 10 lbs? And the trays around the perimeter turned out to be excellent! My friends were also really impressed with the spots for fleets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andyjobo wrote:
japester1 wrote:

It's really not that heavy, maybe 10 lbs? And the trays around the perimeter turned out to be excellent! My friends were also really impressed with the spots for fleets.

Oh, it definitely presents well, even with just bare wood. But only 10lbs?! Wow. What kind of wood did you use? I can see it has a grain to it, and it's not super thin since that size disc would crack (plus, it had to be deep enough for all those routed bins).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Jordan
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
japester1 wrote:

Oh, it definitely presents well, even with just bare wood. But only 10lbs?! Wow. What kind of wood did you use? I can see it has a grain to it, and it's not super thin since that size disc would crack (plus, it had to be deep enough for all those routed bins).

It's 3/4" Birch plywood. The bins are all milled 1/2" deep, the central play area is only milled 1/16" deep (the thickness of the cardboard pieces).

Today I got around to coating it in polyurethane. I'll post pictures once it's dry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Grant
United States
Santa Clarita
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to put this on a Lazy Susan so you can just spin it around as needed for pieces and easy reach of systems!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatta Pake wrote:
You need to put this on a Lazy Susan so you can just spin it around as needed for pieces and easy reach of systems!

I can already hear the arguments about systems and space lanes shifting when someone turns it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Grant
United States
Santa Clarita
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of rage flipping the table, rage spinning!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
How much do you want for it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.