Subject: Anyone else hates being Merlin? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lukas Vitroler
Austria
Tirol
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My side always loses when I am Merlin. Do you know why? Because I always get chosen for assassination regardless of whether I am Merlin or me.
Always at the end of the game when its time to kill, the bad guys always ponder: Is it Lukas or X? And I always get chosen 100%.
We always win when I am not Merlin and always lose when I am Merlin.

Does anyone else have a 100% getting killed record? Any idea how I can avoid it? I was even chosen once when I stayed completely silent the whole game (I was not merlin).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariusz Kosecki
Poland
Elbląg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you consider the option that your group plays badly as non-Merlins? When you are Merlin, others are obvious to not be Merlin. When you are not Merlin, it's either you or someone else.

Maybe you play well as non-Merlin, others don't?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rundle
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dannte wrote:
Did you consider the option that your group plays badly as non-Merlins? When you are Merlin, others are obvious to not be Merlin. When you are not Merlin, it's either you or someone else.

I agree. This may well be the result of others in your group not doing a good job of covering for you. Has Percival given you away (easily done)? Do the loyal servants talk enough to allow you to talk safely? It's a team game - Merlin needs his loyal servants to do their job properly. The guidance elsewhere on this site on how to play loyal servant of Arthur (and other roles) is very good - you should all read it.

However, if it's any comfort, I used to hate being Merlin, too. I played around 100 games of Avalon before I finally won my first game as Merlin (I'd only been Merlin about 8-10 times in that time, but still). Over half the time we simply lost. But when we won on missions, I always got assassinated. Of those, I knew I'd done a bad job two or three times, but the other times the spies really had no clue - but they meticulously eliminated everyone else as a possibility (not always for reasons that made sense, which was annoying), and that left me as the only option!

Since then, however, I have won about 90% of my games as Merlin. So it can turn around. I have certainly become a better player. We have all have got better at being loyal servants (which doesn't mean we don't screw up sometimes, because we do).

This can happen for you, too. Try to grit your teeth and not flinch when you pick up your card and see that grave, bearded face staring at you. Think positive. This eventually worked for me. And - just in case there is something - think if there is anything that you do or don't do that might give you away - and try to stop doing it (but I'm guessing it's probably not that).

I once won a game as Merlin when Percival whispered to the player next to him (Mordred!!!!) that I was Merlin. Mordred didn't believe Percival and made no demur when the Assassin picked someone else! Ha!

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
lukasv90 wrote:
And I always get chosen 100%.

If you're always assassinated when you are not a minion, regardless of what happens in the game, then it's a metagame problem.

If the minions always choose the same person (excluding known minion), they get the exact average win rate possible, because then the choice is always random. They leave it to chance.

If the minions use what they saw during the game to choose Merlin, then a good play from other servants would help. (And you claiming to be Merlin could confuse them.)

So, do the spies really choose you 100% or not?

Who get's chosen when you're a minion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a serious metagame issue. We haven't encountered it. Sure sounds like you can use it to your advantage most of the time, though. The chances of the enemy being right is less than 50%, so you'd actually win more often than not, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Vitroler
Austria
Tirol
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dannte wrote:

That's definitely one reason. We usually play 5-6 player Avalon. Sometimes they really show it how clueless they are and then with 5 players, it's already only me and one other guy..

Robrun wrote:
dannte wrote:

I agree. This may well be the result of others in your group not doing a good job of covering for you. Has Percival given you away (easily done)? Do the loyal servants talk enough to allow you to talk safely? It's a team game - Merlin needs his loyal servants to do their job properly. The guidance elsewhere on this site on how to play loyal servant of Arthur (and other roles) is very good - you should all read it.

However, if it's any comfort, I used to hate being Merlin, too. I played around 100 games of Avalon before I finally won my first game as Merlin (I'd only been Merlin about 8-10 times in that time, but still). Over half the time we simply lost. But when we won on missions, I always got assassinated. Of those, I knew I'd done a bad job two or three times, but the other times the spies really had no clue - but they meticulously eliminated everyone else as a possibility (not always for reasons that made sense, which was annoying), and that left me as the only option!

Since then, however, I have won about 90% of my games as Merlin. So it can turn around. I have certainly become a better player. We have all have got better at being loyal servants (which doesn't mean we don't screw up sometimes, because we do).

This can happen for you, too. Try to grit your teeth and not flinch when you pick up your card and see that grave, bearded face staring at you. Think positive. This eventually worked for me. And - just in case there is something - think if there is anything that you do or don't do that might give you away - and try to stop doing it (but I'm guessing it's probably not that).

I once won a game as Merlin when Percival whispered to the player next to him (Mordred!!!!) that I was Merlin. Mordred didn't believe Percival and made no demur when the Assassin picked someone else! Ha!

Good luck!

We only play Merlin and Assassin with 5-6. Should we include other roles? Thanks, I will check out the guide for Merlin, maybe I can read something that helps me hide it better. Yeah I hate it when people choose me for reasons that make no sense! I love the game so I always try to stay positive!

a1bert wrote:
lukasv90 wrote:
And I always get chosen 100%.

If you're always assassinated when you are not a minion, regardless of what happens in the game, then it's a metagame problem.

If the minions always choose the same person (excluding known minion), they get the exact average win rate possible, because then the choice is always random. They leave it to chance.

If the minions use what they saw during the game to choose Merlin, then a good play from other servants would help. (And you claiming to be Merlin could confuse them.)

So, do the spies really choose you 100% or not?

Who get's chosen when you're a minion?

Yeah, the spies 100% choose me when I am not a minion. Regardless of how I play and I really tried to switch it up a lot (both as minion, servant and merlin). When I am a minion we usually finish the game before the good guys get to 3 mission wins, so no one gets chosen.

ayejae wrote:
Sounds like a serious metagame issue. We haven't encountered it. Sure sounds like you can use it to your advantage most of the time, though. The chances of the enemy being right is less than 50%, so you'd actually win more often than not, right?

I wish that were so. The last 8 times I was on the good side I got the Merlin card. >.<

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
With 5 we often play with Merlin, Morgana, Percival, Mordred/Assassin, Loyal Servant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.