tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted 'dislike' on both Glyphs and Crossroads, because they make the game easier.

Judged purely by themselves (in combination with the base game) IMHO that makes them bad additions. Even though I actually do like the components/mechanics they add.

However I will combine them with (multiple) others if I want to compensate for any added difficulty, or if I'm in the mood for a long game.

So if there had been an option 'like, but only in combination with others', I would've put them in that category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Candiac
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I find Crossroads to be the hardest of them all.
Maybe I have been playing it wrong...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
afafard wrote:
Personally, I find Crossroads to be the hardest of them all.
Maybe I have been playing it wrong...

Maybe, or maybe I have...
It's the only expansion I decided to houserule because I found it too easy to be fun. Then, just like Glyphs, I just decided not to play it by itself anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Wells
United States
Haverhill
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teeka wrote:
I voted 'dislike' on both Glyphs and Crossroads, because they make the game easier.

Glyphs makes it easier? I have yet to win with Glyphs (10 games +/-)

I think I'm playing correctly, but it certainly seems, no, is harder than the base game or even base + book of steps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brwells wrote:
Glyphs makes it easier?

First of all, glyphs are a 4th symbol. So you have less chance to get completely stuck with the wrong symbols in hand.
But mostly, I find the 'free door' aspect of incantations really strong.

At first it's not that much of a chance, but as your deck gets smaller, the chance of an incantation finding a door increases. If you have a few glyphs by the end of the deck, you can just fish out the last remaining doors.
Trigger a prophecy, remove a Nightmare (hopefully), notice a door in there too? Trigger an incantation -> free door.

Each door found by incantation means 3 cards you don't have to play. That means that resolving a nightmare by discarding the top 5 cards becomes less damaging.
Losing because by the end there just isn't a 3-card sequence (or key) of a certain colour in there anymore, becomes less likely.

All in all, I found that this is so good that the 4 extra doors don't compensate at all. The common ones especially aren't a problem, I would often be able to make a 3rd red sequence anyway.
You really need to add another expansion like the Book of Steps: having to get the doors in a specific order really cuts down on the incantation's power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jānis Rudzītis
Latvia
Jūrmala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you, Teeka. This idea appears also in the expansion "Arch –Squares & Metas" (Urbion) where it's more balanced, IMHO.
If you want to make things harder, play without the Incantation effect. The Glyph as a 4th symbol is already a good compensation for 4 more Doors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jānis Rudzītis
Latvia
Jūrmala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday I played 4x the base game and "The Glyphs" without applying the Incantation. I won only 1x, but 2 plays were very close (even dramatic). My conclusion: I will continue to play without the Incantation effect - it's more challenging for my taste.
I also played the base game with "The Door to the Oniverse" - I have the impression that it was designed at the same time with "Sylvion" (it feels very sylvion-ish), but something is lacking (additional Door(s), more Nightmare(s), less Denizens in the deck, ...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to play both 'too easy' expansions without the part that I felt made them too easy... But then it seemed like I wasn't really adding much anymore, so why bother.

That's why now I just use them in combination with others. As mentioned, I think Glyphs + Book of Steps is a pretty good one.

Btw, I haven't tried Glyphs + Sphinx yet, I think I'll do that next time... That seems like it might be a good combination without getting convulted, while still adding a lot of extra dangers (including 2 Nightmares).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
d10-1 I love The Dreamcatchers. Favorite expansion of all, mostly because I don't have to reshuffle my deck every 10 seconds. I always play with this expansion. It adds so much more tension and tough choices with only 4 more cards in the draw pile:

- Free a dreamcatcher or not during a reshuffle?
- If there's one lone lost dream on a dreamcatcher, should you free it to avoid a potential overload?
- Discarding the top 5 cards with a nightmare can be less destructive, if you end up catching a Nightmare or two. I am always happy seeing Nightmares on the dreamcatchers.
- The game is not easier though! I've lost a couple of times as I could not catch all 4 lost dreams in time. Triggering a prophecy at the last 5 cards is gold, to rearrange any lost dreams before the location cards. A lost dream at the bottom of the pile is an auto-lose.

I never play with the Failsafe cards. They feel too easy and "cheating".

d10-2 Close second is Happy Dreams & Dark Premonitions. The Happy Dreams are, hands down, the most powerful (dream) cards in the game. On the other hand, it's really tough to decide when to unlock a door, as triggering a potentially bad dark premonition can kill you.

This expansion is great on its own, but becomes even more difficult with "The Book of Steps Lost and Found". You MUST take Dark Premonitions into account when rearranging the Goal Cards, especially if the "One of each color" comes up.

d10-3 The Glyphs is an okay expansion. The game does indeed feel different, due to the fourth symbol and the "free door", but it becomes much harder if you add the Book of Spells or the Dark Premonitions; suddenly, you won't start triggering Incantations, as you might not find the door you are looking for, or worse, you might be forced to resolve a Dark Premonition at an inconvenient time.

Still, with other expansions or not, it's one of the better expansions that I enjoy. I use it when I want a longer game, as it takes some time to find 12 doors. This expansion adds 12 cards in the deck, thus prolonging it a lot.

d10-4 Crossroads & Dead Ends is an okay expansion, as well. Adding 16 cards to the deck doesn't motivate me that much to play often with it, but it's still an above-average expansion. Playing with 3-4 cards in hand is quite difficult, and taking escape actions should usually be avoided; you ideally want to discard the dead ends due to a Nightmare or a Dark Premonition.

I've never played with the more difficult variant, the "Intersections", but I might try it out next time. Being forced to use the card only as the second card of a series, makes no longer the game "easy".

d10-5 The Book of Spells Lost & Found is a "take it or leave it" expansion. On its own, it's rather bad; it feels to add an unnecessary difficulty curve to the game, with no real benefit. Every expansion demands an additional victory condition, but at least gives you something to work with (the glyph symbol, the happy dreams, etc).

This expansions feels it gives nothing. Sure, it gives you the power to cast a Paradoxial Prophecy to rescue a necessary card from the bottom of the deck, but most of the time you'll use your mana to cast Parallel Planning. I don't ever recall casting Powerful Punishment (maybe once or twice?), it's outrageously expensive.

Nevertheless, I feel that the Book of Spells shines in conjunction with other expansions:

- The Glyphs suddenly make Incantation time very important. The "free door" is no longer a given.
- Dark Premonitions can make a very difficult game, if they happen to get triggered early enough. I suggest placing the Dark Premonitions above the goal cards that will trigger them to easily have an overview of what's going on. Usually, you will cast "Parallel Planning" to match the cards in your hand; nevertheless, you will now take into account setting the Dark Premonitions as behind as possible.
- The Door to the Oniverse is a double-edged sword. If playing with the Dark Premonitions, you want it to be dead last, as it can trigger all of them. Otherwise, you'd prefer to have it soon enough, even first.

d10-6 I usually don't play with The Door to the Oniverse; I usually want to play multiple games in a row, and this expansion adds complexity during setup; you have to separate the Denizens, randomly choose 8 and shuffle them in the draw pile.

The Denizens can offer some useful help in the quest to find the wildcard door, but I don't like that they are imbalanced. By far the most OP is the Architect, letting you break the most fundamental rule of the game: never the same symbol twice in a row. On the other hand, other Denizens are completely useless, like the Hammer Bird (except when playing with the Book of Spells, maybe). So, the game can be either very easy or super hard, depending on which Denizens come in.

d10-7 The Towers is to me least appealing expansion. I don't find them as much useful as the Happy Dreams, the Crossroads, even the Denizens, and being forced to lose a Tower when you resolve a Nightmare just sets you even further behind. It's easier with the Dreamcatchers, as you can take false destructions more often, but still, indifferent.

I've never played with the difficult variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.