Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the Volcano (lava flows) be placed on another tile (replacing it)? Does it get the placement bonus?

Just to be clear - can tiles (Greenery and Cities) ONLY be placed on spaces which do not have an existing tile?

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, tiles are placed on empty spaces, you never replace another tile when placing a new one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm willing to be money that tiles cannot be placed on spaces that are already occupied, but I'd be hard-pressed to find anything about it in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Chaney

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snapshot wrote:
I'm willing to be money that tiles cannot be placed on spaces that are already occupied, but I'd be hard-pressed to find anything about it in the rules.

I'm not seeing anything absolute either, but here is a clue:
p.5 Tiles "Greenery tile: If possible, greenery tiles must
be placed next to another tile that you own. If
you have no available area next to your tiles, or if
you have no tile at all, you may place the greenery
tile on any available area." (My italics.)

It's a safe bet to infer "available" means something, and I'll put money on "unoccupied and not prohibited."

The problem of the volcano coming up after its specified areas were already occupied has come up in our plays as well. On a quick check or the rules:

p.9 Play a card from your hand
"1) Check the requirements.
In order to play a card you must meet its requirements
and be able to perform the effects stated on the card,
with the following exceptions: You may play a card that...
- raises global parameters that have already reached
their goal (for example when there are no more ocean tiles, or
when the temperature is at +8 °C).
- adds resources that you can’t collect (for example
adding microbe resources without having any microbe
project to place them on).
-removes resources for any player (red-bordered
resource icons, see example on card C below) if you can’t or
do not wish to.
Even if these effects can’t be performed, you may still play the
card, performing all other effects as usual."

If that is the extent of the exceptions, the card could not be played because placing the tile is an effect that is not given an exception.

However ...
p.10 (Still Play a card from your hand)
"A tile must be placed if possible, but being
unable to do so does not prevent you from playing the card."

This appears as an additional exception to the three listed above, and would make the card playable even if all the lava flow locations are already occupied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Shrike
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, there is no tile replacing in this game. You can only place tile in open spots except for the reserved locations. The only reserves are ocean and Noctis City. If all the locations for Lava Flows are already occupied, then you cannot play the card.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23449922#23449922

Greenery tile: If possible, greenery tiles must be placed next to another tile that you own.

City tile: May not be placed next to another city (exception: Noctis city must always be placed on its reserved area).

People seem to be complaining about the few cards that can cause another player to lose counters or are forced to lose production. There would probably be a revolt if you could lose tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Chaney

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's late so I'm not thinking clearly ... how can the ruling in the linked article square with the rules quoted from page 10?

If this is simply declared to be an exception to the exception, so be it, but that's pretty clunky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Shrike
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The designer appears to have just replied to your specific question.

That line on page 10 should be removed from the rulebook.

It should say "tiles must be placed (unless it's an ocean and all ocean tiles have already been placed, per the exception rules on the previous page)".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Chaney

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks XShrike - good to have the answer. This issue (volcano locations all covered already) seems to come up frequently. I guess those locations are prime!

Also thanks Bastinator1 for getting the issue the attention it needed.

This is a nice thematic wrinkle. Although unfortunate that the card has an expiring condition, the existence of current volcanism on Mars is tenuous at best so the unclear scientific reality fits!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.