Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Love my girls!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Last I check Kevin Wilson was designing this game. Upon pulling up this entry for the first time in a while I noticed that Corey Konieczka is now listed as the designer per BGG. Did I miss something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin R. Krause
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Konieczka stated on the FFG-Forum that he is in charge of the Starcraft project. Maybe, he is the editor in charge.

The game was thoroughly redesigned after test plays last year. In the end, I'm quite sure Konieczka and Wilson will be in the list of authors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
Just don't let the guy who did World of Warcraft TBG ANYWHERE near it. please please please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian T. Petersen
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Just for your information:

Kevin Wilson is not involved in the STARCRAFT design at all. The design is by Corey Konieczka and myself, with Corey as lead developer (and Corey doing most most of the heavy lifting).

So, sorry to say, but the designer (myself) of the WOW:TBG is very much involved :-) Sorry to hear that you're not a fan!

Best Wishes,

Christian T. Petersen
FFG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite sure what's wrong with WOW:TBG. Not my favorite game of all time, but that's more due to my lack of interest in WOW in general. As a game, I found that it fit together pretty well, though (even if long, but I don't mind that part).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Maria Bisetto
Italy
Casier
TV
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryB wrote:
Just don't let the guy who did World of Warcraft TBG ANYWHERE near it. please please please.

Just don't let the guy who did Warcraft TBG ANYWHERE near it. please please please.
So I'm very happy to see Chris&Corey

biso

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Love my girls!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's hoping it's not quite the epic that WoW:TBG is. I'd expect a 5+ hour boardgame when you're trying to capture the feel of WoW. Starcraft being a RTS however, is much tighter and faster paced than an MMO. Even more importantly, if it can be played in 3 hours or less I'll actually be able to talk people into playing it with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Ligabue
Italy
Modena
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flightmaster wrote:

Kevin Wilson is not involved in the STARCRAFT design at all. The design is by Corey Konieczka and myself, with Corey as lead developer (and Corey doing most most of the heavy lifting).

So, sorry to say, but the designer (myself) of the WOW:TBG is very much involved :-) Sorry to hear that you're not a fan!

Best Wishes,

Christian T. Petersen
FFG

So there's no way now I can miss that game! Thank you very much and I hope it will be, as usual for you and Corey, a great game! and remember "With great power comes great responsibility."

good play
Liga

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Flightmaster wrote:
So, sorry to say, but the designer (myself) of the WOW:TBG is very much involved :-)

pwnd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt M
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three hours or less??

You must not play a lot of Fantasy Flight Games my friend. These games are for those of us with lots of time on our hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Newell
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Was Kevin Wilson originally working on this project? Does this mean he's now working on a different project for FFG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bender
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flightmaster wrote:

Best Wishes,

Christian T. Petersen
FFG

I have to admit Christian that WOW:TBG is not my favorite among your designs, but then A Game of Thrones and Twilight Imperium are two of my favorite games. And the work that you and Corey did with the Shattered Empire expansion was great.

WOW is still a good design, with a very interesting team and competition element, but not quite as interesting as AGOT and TI3.

I see that the release date for Starcraft has been moved to September now. Will there still be demos at GenCon this summer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starcraft the Boardgame:
Three players race to collect as much Vespene gas and Minerals as possible in 30 turns.
Players can also purchase military units each turn by spending resources.
The molded plastic military units are placed in front of the player on a player-mat and look really cool. There are 39 different figure types. The player is free to position these in formations, groups, cliques or, for advanced players, by carefully stacking them upon each other.
After thirty turns each player is given 1d6 dice equal to the number of units in their army.
Players roll simultaneously onto a circular mat which is split into three factions, dice that land within the the matching faction are counted and the player with the highest score wins.
The sides vary greatly: The Protoss use yellow 1d6 while the Zerg use red ones. Due to popular demand the Terran dice have been changed from Blue to Black. This delayed the development of the game by 12 months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Barefoot Killer wrote:
Was Kevin Wilson originally working on this project? Does this mean he's now working on a different project for FFG?

He certainly did work on Starcraft. Last summer he hosted an early playtest for the game at The Source in St. Paul. Does anybody know why he's no longer working on the project? Too busy with other things perhaps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrspank wrote:
The Barefoot Killer wrote:

He certainly did work on Starcraft. Last summer he hosted an early playtest for the game at The Source in St. Paul. Does anybody know why he's no longer working on the project? Too busy with other things perhaps?

Holding a playtest of a game your company is developing (meaning you've read the rules and know how to introduce the elements) doesn't necessarily imply he was working on the development of said title.

Perhaps the real developer couldn't attend that convention so they got kevin to cover for him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flightmaster wrote:

Best Wishes,

Christian T. Petersen
FFG

Hey... Christian, good to see you here. I am a big fan of FFG and have almost all of the FFG games and expansions. I think Starcraft will be a big hit as well. All of the games seem to outdue themselves over and over again!

Looking forward to getting my copy of TOI !!! Keep up with awesome job you guys do on these games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Demo_Boy wrote:
Starcraft the Boardgame:
Three players race to collect as much Vespene gas and Minerals as possible in 30 turns.
Players can also purchase military units each turn by spending resources.
The molded plastic military units are placed in front of the player on a player-mat and look really cool. There are 39 different figure types. The player is free to position these in formations, groups, cliques or, for advanced players, by carefully stacking them upon each other.
After thirty turns each player is given 1d6 dice equal to the number of units in their army.
Players roll simultaneously onto a circular mat which is split into three factions, dice that land within the the matching faction are counted and the player with the highest score wins.
The sides vary greatly: The Protoss use yellow 1d6 while the Zerg use red ones. Due to popular demand the Terran dice have been changed from Blue to Black. This delayed the development of the game by 12 months.

Wait... what exactly delayed the development of the game... the change of dice color? Or that whole outline?

Incidentally, that outline is so very far from what I was hoping for this game... I am a HUGE Starcraft fan. I was really hoping it would be similar to Tide Of Iron (which I describe to all my RTS playing friends as Company Of Heroes: The Boardgame) but in the Starcraft Universe. I'm sure that's a lot easier said than done, but this thing about only counting dice that land in a certain part of a mat... and placing military units on a mat in front of the player, and... and... well, just about everything in that summary kinda scares me. I've also never played World Of Warcraft: The Boardgame, but enough people complain about it on this site to add to my concern.

However, FFG did get Tide Of Iron absolutely right, in my opinion, so I am still hopeful.

Does the delay in development of Starcraft mean that everything I just complained about will be scrapped? Or do I have to start coming to terms with what the game will and, sadly, will not be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Demo_Boy has no actual knowledge of the game. He was just making stuff up as a joke.

Mike Z

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank God! I was about to cry. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Zebrowski wrote:
Demo_Boy has no actual knowledge of the game. He was just making stuff up as a joke.

Mike Z

says you!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
I take it that you haven't read my profile yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike, just out of curiosity, did you participate in the playtest at the Source a year ago?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Baumbach
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Zebrowski wrote:

Mike Z

I will confirm that Mike Z knows more about Starcraft TBG than whoever Demo_Boy is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mrspank wrote:
Mike, just out of curiosity, did you participate in the playtest at the Source a year ago?

No. I had to be elsewhere that night.

Mike Z

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Choi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This game has been pushed out for a while.

The reason for this is simple...they want to release a great game. There's a lot of eyes watching this one. I'm sure the designers are taking the time to get it right.

Interestingly enough Blizzard did the same thing with the original PC game...

Personally, if it plays anything like Nexus Ops...I'd be happy. That's the closest i've seen to RTS goodness in a boardgame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.