6 Posts

The Daedalus Sentence» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ventilation Duct Rule Clarification? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Chong
msg tools
Hey guys,

Can someone clarify what this rule for the ventilation duct means?

-A ventilation duct may not be used to move inward from the ventilation duct tile

This seems to contradict this rule

-Ventilation Ducts are two-way, so you may also move inward using ventilation ducts revealed on the level you are moving into

My best understanding is this:
You may only move into an adjacent outer ring FROM the ventilation duct, and only if the outer ring room has been revealed. You can move inwards INTO the ventilation duct from the outer ring. You CANNOT move into an adjacent inner ring room FROM the ventilation duct.

Is my interpretation correct?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaud Dejardin
France
Ferrère-La-Grande
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really.
If you read the kiddo's ability, it becomes clearer.

You can only use a ventilation duct:
-If the zone you're entering is discovered (except for the robot guy)
AND
-If the door of the zone you're entering has been opened (except for the kid).

The kid can reveal, and move to an outer ring, even if the door has not been opened. It even doesn't raise the defense level. She's really usefull, and may be terrific solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What Thibaud said. I'm going to really like Jaime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chong
msg tools
Thanks, but my question is with regards to when are you able to use the ventilation duct to move into an inner ring as the rules in the rule book appear to be confusing and contradictory. I'll present a few scenarios

a) yellow ring = ventilation shaft, Adjacent red ring = control room. Am I able to move into the red control room from the ventilation shaft? According to the rules I should not be allowed

pg9. -A ventilation duct may not be used to move inward from the ventilation duct tile

b) yellow ring = control room, Adjacent red ring = Ventilation shaft. Can I move from Yellow to red? I think I can?

pg9 - Ventilation Ducts are two-way, so you may also move inward using ventilation ducts revealed on the level you are moving into

Am I understanding the ventilation duct rules correctly?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have that correct. You can move in both directions using the outside edge of the ventilation duct tile, but not inward from the inside edge of the ventilation duct tile.

I believe Thibaud was commenting on the "and only if the outer ring room has been revealed" part, which isn't true for Morrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The AirBear
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David, your understanding in your examples are both correct.

I think the text about "inward movement" in the rulebook may be misleading, but the rules - read correctly - are not contradictory!

To make it clearer:
Assume we have the following rooms aligned (inner->outer): hatchery (red) - duct (yellow) - control room (green).
The ventilation duct is printed on the outer side of the tile - this means that the duct connects the tile that it's printed on with the tile directly adjacent on the outer ring. In the example the control room. You may use this connection in both ways. So you may move from the duct tile to the control room and from the control room to the duct tile.

You are however not allowed to move inward from the duct tile onto the hatchery!
This was meant by "inward movement" in the rulebook. It was just to make clear, that the "ability" of the room can not be used to move from the duct tile inward (but you may move inward onto a duct tile).
I hope it got clear...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.