Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Joking Hazard» Forums » Rules

Subject: Red Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you play what happens when a Red card is the first card? The rules in the rulebook seem vastly different than what was originally explained in the kickstarter
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Demski
Canada
Stony Mountain
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If the first card flipped from the deck is a red card, then instead of it being the first panel in the 3-panel strip, it is placed on the table as the third panel (i.e. the punchline).

In this case, the judge for that round does not play a card. Instead, each other player chooses two cards that will be placed in front of the red card as the first and second panels (i.e. they are providing the set-up to the red card, which is the punchline).

I agree that the rules sheet does a poor job of explaining exactly how they work.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JurassicMatt wrote:
If the first card flipped from the deck is a red card, then instead of it being the first panel in the 3-panel strip, it is placed on the table as the third panel (i.e. the punchline).

In this case, the judge for that round does not play a card. Instead, each other player chooses two cards that will be placed in front of the red card as the first and second panels (i.e. they are providing the set-up to the red card, which is the punchline).

I agree that the rules sheet does a poor job of explaining exactly how they work.


That is how kickstarter and the reviews explained it. That is not how I recall the rule book explained it (Which is the first thing I saw). It's not my game, so I don't have a copy of the rulebook in front of me anymore.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Ahlstrøm Meyn Mathiassen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule books state it is the other way around, but that sux. I am going to house rule it from now on. The red card is the third panel!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Demski
Canada
Stony Mountain
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kimajakobsen wrote:
The rule books state it is the other way around, but that sux. I am going to house rule it from now on. The red card is the third panel!


I just took a look at the rulebook, and it does seem to explain it properly (albeit with odd/unclear wording). The rulebook states (emphasis mine):

Quote:
Every so often, the deck will play a card with a red border. This kicks off a bonus round! All players can trade in any cards they want to replace. Then, instead of the judge playing a second panel, everyone else plays the two panel setup, and the judge picks their favourite. The winner gets two points instead of one.


That seems to be the same as what I said above. The judge does not play a card (normally they would play the second panel), and "everyone else plays the two panel setup"; "setup" meaning the first two panels of the comic (you are 'setting up' for the red card punchline). Seems pretty clear to me. I think the ambiguity comes from certain people not understanding the usage of the word "setup".
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Ahlstrøm Meyn Mathiassen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You are totally right
Thanks for explain it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens when you draw a red card into your hand, just nothing?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quizoid wrote:
What happens when you draw a red card into your hand, just nothing?

Yes, it's just a regular card then, to be played normally.

FWIW, we've played it so that if red card is drawn as the first card, then judge selects one card to be the first or second panel. Everyone else chooses one card to fill the slot. We couldn't figure out a smooth and hasslefree method for shuffling card pairs if the players chose 2 setup cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jhsa wrote:
Quizoid wrote:
What happens when you draw a red card into your hand, just nothing?

Yes, it's just a regular card then, to be played normally.

FWIW, we've played it so that if red card is drawn as the first card, then judge selects one card to be the first or second panel. Everyone else chooses one card to fill the slot. We couldn't figure out a smooth and hasslefree method for shuffling card pairs if the players chose 2 setup cards.


have the judge close their eyes or turn away (or leave the room), and then everyone places their pairs down in order in a column.

closing the eyes is the closest to hassle free.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MunchWolf wrote:
jhsa wrote:
Quizoid wrote:
What happens when you draw a red card into your hand, just nothing?

Yes, it's just a regular card then, to be played normally.

FWIW, we've played it so that if red card is drawn as the first card, then judge selects one card to be the first or second panel. Everyone else chooses one card to fill the slot. We couldn't figure out a smooth and hasslefree method for shuffling card pairs if the players chose 2 setup cards.


have the judge close their eyes or turn away (or leave the room), and then everyone places their pairs down in order in a column.

closing the eyes is the closest to hassle free.

That's what we did at first but it felt too troublesome.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carter
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They don't have to close their eyes for long. They can keep their eyes open while everyone places their cards, and then close their eyes while someone reorders the piles...takes just a couple seconds.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
IdleHacker wrote:
They don't have to close their eyes for long. They can keep their eyes open while everyone places their cards, and then close their eyes while someone reorders the piles...takes just a couple seconds.


Or just everyone places when ready. "Ready?" Close eyes for three seconds. "Okay!"
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.