Subject: Getting all ingredients first before placing them? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arek
Germany
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the rules under using ingredients, it states that after you have done your regular pick of an ingredient and optionally got help from the professor and also maybe drank one or more potions, you then use your ingredients. You must fill as many holes in potions as you can, then fill your pool flask. This seems to imply an order, i.e. you get all your ingredients from your turn first and then you can use them. However, in another part of the rules it implies that a player can do their actions at anytime in their turn - so there appears to be a slight contradiction.

In my turn, am I allowed to do the following example in this order?

Drink a potion and use its ability to get ingredients
Put as many of those ingredients as I can onto empty potion holes resulting in completing a potion.
Then drink that newly completed potion and get more ingredients from it.
Use those ingredients on my other potion
Then take my normal regular pick of an ingredient.
Possibly complete a second potion, drink it, get more ingredients
Then choose any 3 ingredients from my hand and/or pool and put them in my pool and discard the rest.

Clearly here I am using some ingredients before I get more - is this OK?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich A
United Kingdom
London
NW London
flag msg tools
There isnt an order really. The only restriction that I can remember is that any ingredients you place on a potion cannot be removed. You can have as many ingredients held in your hand that you want, and you can freely move balls from your hand to the pool and vice versa. Potions can be drunk at any time in your turn. So you can drink potions and take their actions while you've been moving balls around. The only other fixed rules are that:

1. you can only get new potions at the end of your turn.
2. you therefore cannot have any balls in your hand when getting new potions. Balls cannot be moved from the pool to the new potions you picked.

So in terms of your example, yes you can do those things. The only problem in your example is that you describe completing 3 potions. This isn't possible because you cannot draw a new potion from the pile until the end of your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arek
Germany
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks - I think you're right, without this flexibility the game would not be as fun because you would be constrained by having to get all your ingredients first. There would be far fewer 'tactical' decisions.

After having re-read the rules, I think I was initially mislead by the use of the word 'First' in the bullet point under the Using the Ingredients section. I think that was to mean that this is simply the first option being described and not that it must be performed first only after having taken ingredients, implying an order to your turn's activities.

In my example, the first potion which was drunk was one completed on an earlier turn, so I think its OK. Thanks for your reply, it is how we have played it, and so far we have found that there is a lot more to this game than you may first think after reading the rules. You can really make some good moves or scupper other people's game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.