Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Spice
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
Hi all,
just wondering what the best/most fun way of teaching the base game is with the goal of eventually introducing the factions and new techs in a later game.

My thought was to play the base game first with the following from the expansion.

1. The Drive Power Movement mechanic.
2. Ship Blocking.
3. Maybe the Combat Cards for players/Centaurians, although this adds more time to the game..
4. Maybe the Extra Ships too? Not sure if this is advisable.

Any tips or thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this devourer's page.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My advice would be to simply play the base game, as-is, without introducing anything extra.

One exception — Drive Power Movement. This speeds up game play and is easy to understand. Explain that the drive indicates how many "movement points" each ship has. Players take turns, in reverse turn order, spending one movement point for all their ships. Whether the ships move or not, one movement point is spent.

Also, when explaining the techs, group similar techs together (shields, cannons, rockets, drives, refineries) ... Make sure you explain the various politics techs in detail. Also, Advanced Trading deserves a good and thorough explanation.

It still takes some time for players to grasp everything, but this way they should have an easier time learning.

Also, since you have the expansion, give each player their respective faction overview sheet. They will use the back for the tech summary and upgrade costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Spice
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
Ok, thanks for your reply, apologies for the duplicate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
How can you have any pudding?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd add, play a short game for first time. Turn one will take quite some time when people are learning.

So pick something like a 3 or 4 turn game. It should be enough to give everyone a taste. And, at least in my experience, with a lot of new players it will take about an hour per player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.