9 Posts

Pax Pamir» Forums » General

Subject: Some questions. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Markus Lundin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Is this game more interesting than fun?

2. Is this game just as difficult to play as it seems?

(I'm really excited to get this, but feel hesitant. Why are there so few reviews? Why are there so few videos on You Tube?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
pledgehc.com
mbmbmbmbmb
A relative unknown bit of history combined with an unkown designer (sorry Cole) may contribute.
it's not a game that most of the mainstay Youtube reviewrs take on.
if you like "engine building" games where you work your way towards victory by using synergies PaxPamir can do that but it can also end very prematurely because someone else just stole the victory. it's very much a game where you have to read the market and the tablaeus of your opponents and then stab your buddy in the back.
if you are interested in the history or Sierra Madre games in general it is a good game, although I Porfiriana better myself
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
sandwichman wrote:
1. Is this game more interesting than fun?

Depends on your definition of fun. Some groups hate it, some folks love it.

Quote:

2. Is this game just as difficult to play as it seems?

No. In point of fact the game is very easy on a turn-to-turn basis. However it can be a hard thing to learn. I've responded to you on the other thread with some advice on that count.

Quote:

(I'm really excited to get this, but feel hesitant. Why are there so few reviews? Why are there so few videos on You Tube?)

There are lots of detailed comments here on bgg that give a very fair impression of the game when taken together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrJork wrote:
A relative unknown bit of history combined with an unknown designer (sorry Cole) may contribute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Lundin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:
Depends on your definition of fun. Backstabbing. Treachery. Ransom. Negotiation. It has all of these in spades. I think it's an amazingly fun game. It may also be historically interesting, but I can't read the flavor text, so I'm approaching it purely as a game.

Well, these are exactly the things that I think are fun in a game. (Love Cuba Libre.) I bought it yesterday after listening to a few podcasts where Cole was talking about his game.
Only played solo so far, but i find it really interesting even when playing solo three-handed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Park
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is hit and miss with my group. About half love it, about half call it a 'wargame' and are done with it after the first play.

I think it is a great deal of fun. Manipulating and surfing the multiple spheres of influence, the shifting loyalties, and the changing win conditions just tickle my fancy. And I am enamored of the history and attention to historical detail, but that doesn't hold for the others in my group who really enjoy it.

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back when I bought the game, I had no idea that Cole was an unknown designer.

I will have to be more careful in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sandwichman wrote:
colmmccarthy wrote:
Depends on your definition of fun. Backstabbing. Treachery. Ransom. Negotiation. It has all of these in spades. I think it's an amazingly fun game. It may also be historically interesting, but I can't read the flavor text, so I'm approaching it purely as a game.

Well, these are exactly the things that I think are fun in a game. (Love Cuba Libre.) I bought it yesterday after listening to a few podcasts where Cole was talking about his game.
Only played solo so far, but i find it really interesting even when playing solo three-handed.

I also find it really interesting to play three-handed, but where it doesn't quite come off is in the negotiations. After a couple of solo three handed games when I first got it I started to see the potential and the extra dimension... being able to waive tribal control as a bargaining chip for example... it's difficult to replicate that on your own (for me anyway). I haven't tried the solo variant yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.