$30.00
Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Foe Hunters» Forums » General

Subject: Dice to replace the dials for XP/HP tracker (as originally pitched) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guillaume Courtemanche
Canada
Bois-des-filion
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was pretty bummed during the campaign when Larry decided to go with dials instead of dice to keep track of all the individual stats in the game. Having 30some dice included in the game was one of thebthing that triggered my interest in the game and one of the reasons I backed it. Anyway, I suspect the decision was ultimately done for financial reasons which I can totally understand based on the sadly poor amount of pledged the game got. Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty stoked by the rest of the components. The card are ok but art is awesome.

Anyway, I haven't had the chance to try the game yet but just fooling around with the dials kinda disappointed me even more. I decided to look for dice on ebay although I was expected a somewhat hefty price.

I must say, I was astonished how cheap we can get sets of ten sided dices compared to regular full rpg sets.

It cost me 4.92$ shipping included for 3 x Multicolored 10 x D10 sets!!! Pretty cheap upgrade if you ask me.

Here's the link I used:
Ebay

Stock is limited but I'm sure you can find other deals if you're interested. Hope it serves anybody.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Lembcke
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Thank you for the feedback, Guillaume!

Sorry to hear you aren't too excited about the dials Part of the decision was certainly financial, but the main reason we ended up changing it is because it was the most common complaint we got about the game. I liked dice because they are quick and easy, and you can kind of configure them how you want, but it seemed like a majority of players had lukewarm to negative feedback when it came to using dice for tracking hp/xp.

That being said, I have been trying to line out a custom dice kit for the game that people can pick up to use as a supplement or to totally replace the dials. The original dice kit we had used 10mm d10s for HP, and 16mm d10s for XP. Unfortunately I don't have much in the way of news for these, but im sure I will have some prototype pictures up at some point on social or the website

The companion app will also be launching soon that keeps track of XP/HP, for users that prefer that instead

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Courtemanche
Canada
Bois-des-filion
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I can totally understand why you had to cut the dice out. You know that's part of the deal. I, probably like you, would've wish a very successful KS campaign (50k+), that would've help.

I tried the game yesterday, solo to get use to it, using the dials obviously. First off I got to say, 10 minutes in, man there was a lot to track ahaha.. I must have missed (cheated) a lot, I mean a LOT, of triggers here and there. With the pace I had, using the supplied HP tiles weren't nearly as annoying I thought it would. Still looking forward to upgrade for dices but it wouldn't prevent me from recommending the game.

The dials seems all different some are very loose and other very tight. The loose ones are a bit problematic since whenever I picked up the I kept changing changing the HP. The tighter ones are just annoying to use.

All in all, If I can tight 'em just right and equally, I might just keep on using them. I guess using them kind of grew on me after a while (yeah, that was a long game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Courtemanche
Canada
Bois-des-filion
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spellforge Games wrote:

The companion app will also be launching soon that keeps track of XP/HP, for users that prefer that instead

Wow, can't wait for the app. That is definitely a great addition to this game. And, one I'm not sure how you been able to pull off with the limited fund. Are you developing it yourself?

That might be out of context for this thread but you need some beta testing to be done, I have a LG G3, Samsung S3 and Galaxy Tab S for your testing needs. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Courtemanche
Canada
Bois-des-filion
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spellforge Games wrote:
Thank you for the feedback, Guillaume!

Thanks for getting this game out Larry. It seems the journey was edgy and arduous but in the end you delivered and, let some pessimistic comments alone, that's all that counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Lembcke
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
No worries at all It has definitely been a crazy year. I try not to focus too much on the negative.. at the end of the day, we got everything out and that is really all the matters (as you mention!)

There is a lot to track, especially in a solo game. With multiple people it is way easier because people remind each other of things and it tends to move pretty smooth. Ill make sure to reach out whenever I have more news about the dice kits For the dials and tension, you will almost always have to adjust them when you get them. They are just screws, so you can adjust them to your preference. They tend to vibrate and tighten/loosen during transit, so require a little fiddling when you first open it up

Shoot me an email: Larry @ Spellforgegames . com and I will send you a test build whenever I have it ready

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.