GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,434 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Hot Deals

Subject: Through the Ages A new story of civilization. Amazon $54.99 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Jacksonville (Arlington)
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0189GVT5Q/ref=sxts1?ie=UTF8&...

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/182028/through-ages-new-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeJayGe
United States
Windsor Hills
California
flag msg tools
The Idealist Counselor - Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging (INFJ)
badge
Don't hate the game, hate the player.
mbmbmbmbmb
frotes wrote:
Gone

Back

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I placed an order but I thought this was a CoolStuff exclusive here in the US?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AVOID!!! 1 of 11 games on my "do not play" list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
msg tools
Why is it on the notorious do not play list??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pokerdealerohio wrote:

You can click on my avatar to see my top 100, as well as this:

Games I do not want to play:

1. Cards Against Humanity
2. Arkham Horror/Eldritch Horror (or any Cthulhu games*)
3. Kingdom Builder
4. Antike
5. Village
6. Monopoly
7. Chess
8. Race for the Galaxy
9. Through the Ages and perhaps most detailed/long Civilization style games
10. History of the World
11. Battleship

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oops, that was a why, not a what.

It appears I do not like most civ games, too tedious. Too much detail, Too much micro-managing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Bishop
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DomaGB wrote:

DON'T AVOID!!! 1 of 10 games on my "top ten" list.

Seriously though, this is the #2 ranked game on BGG, you need a LOT more justification to dissuade people from taking advantage of a deal on this game. More importantly, as you recognize your opinion as heavily taste-driven and not based on intrinsic quality, why try?

I'm sorely tempted to upgrade to this edition after playing it once. I didn't think there was that much room to improve on one of my all-time favorites, but I was wrong!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WK Chen

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ordered it this morning with same day shipping. Just received it and was surprised to not see it packaged in a box. They slapped a label directly on the shrink wrapped game. Luckily there was just a tear in the shrink wrap, but the box and contents inside were all in great condition. Can't wait to try this game out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brewdinar wrote:
DomaGB wrote:

DON'T AVOID!!! 1 of 10 games on my "top ten" list.

Seriously though, this is the #2 ranked game on BGG, you need a LOT more justification to dissuade people from taking advantage of a deal on this game. More importantly, as you recognize your opinion as heavily taste-driven and not based on intrinsic quality, why try?

I'm sorely tempted to upgrade to this edition after playing it once. I didn't think there was that much room to improve on one of my all-time favorites, but I was wrong!

Yep, all opinions are taste driven. If it matters I was taught the game by 2 people who knew and enjoyed the game, and I came in 1st place, but despite winning, I couldn't stand the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
w3chen99 wrote:
Ordered it this morning with same day shipping. Just received it and was surprised to not see it packaged in a box. They slapped a label directly on the shrink wrapped game. Luckily there was just a tear in the shrink wrap, but the box and contents inside were all in great condition. Can't wait to try this game out!

In the future, be sure to select "Ship in Amazon box" at the checkout screen. It's free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmie Hayes
United States
Knox
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DomaGB wrote:
Pokerdealerohio wrote:

You can click on my avatar to see my top 100, as well as this:

Games I do not want to play:

2. Arkham Horror/Eldritch Horror (or any Cthulhu games*)

And that was enough to entice me to buy it.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Batchelor
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I think in response to the naysayer above I enjoy playing TTA a lot online, but I couldn't imagine playing it IRL, I think the micromanaging/bookkeeping would take away from the strategic enjoyment. Also I really like playing turn-based because it allows me to take back my move, so I can evaluate several scenarios before eventually deciding my actual move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still the best new to me game I have played this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
let's go.
badge
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting...
mbmbmb
DomaGB wrote:

Didn't know we had elected a Grand Master Game Opinion Person.

This game is great, haters aside.

Also, seriously, Tomb is your number one? Tomb?? Really?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Farmington
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Hobby aquariums are just like board games: except wet, fishy, and you can't play them.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nabbed one. Thanks op

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Farmington
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Hobby aquariums are just like board games: except wet, fishy, and you can't play them.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nbread wrote:
w3chen99 wrote:

In the future, be sure to select "Ship in Amazon box" at the checkout screen. It's free.

Wow, great tip. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmie Hayes
United States
Knox
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nbread wrote:
w3chen99 wrote:

Thanks for this. I didn't even notice when I first ordered. They really try to bury it. I cancelled and reordered with an actual box this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Zube
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
"Something tells me I could easily beat those trained professionals."
badge
You were doing well until everyone died.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, been waiting for a discount on this so I can unload my old version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Strubczewski
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got one! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crawford
United States
Goose Creek
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DomaGB wrote:

Disclaimer: My comments are not intended as a personal attack; rather, they reflect my feelings about a style of post that often appears on this forum. For what it's worth, I saw several games on your top 100 list that I also enjoy (Colt Express needs more love).

Games are a matter of taste and I can certainly understand why someone would not enjoy Through the Ages. On the other hand, I really don't understand why you felt compelled to go the extra mile and urge potential purchasers to "AVOID!!!" the game.

It would be different if this was a new or limited release that had a lot of hype surrounding it but you were one of the few who had actually played it sufficiently to uncover its hidden , fatal flaws. Your dire warning would then make perfect sense.

In this case, Through the Ages has been thoroughly reviewed and is so well-liked that it ranks #2 on BGG. Now, that certainly doesn't mean your personal preference is "wrong" or that you are alone in your opinion. But, I wonder whether you could have simply stated that you don't like the game and then followed with your reasoning. You could say, "it takes 5-6 hours to finish." For some gamers, game length is a deciding factor and they will thank you for the info.

As an analogy, suppose you don't like bananas. Most everyone else thinks they're great but you can't get past the mushy texture. Should you run to the grocery store and tell uninformed shoppers to "AVOID!!!" the fruit? Or, would it be better to just let them know that bananas are mushy and you prefer dried banana chips?

Anyway, that's my take on it. Sorry if I took the thread too far off course. Maybe I'll post this in a general BGG discussion forum and see what others think.

P.S. I did snag a copy off Amazon so thanks to the O.P. Hope it doesn't really take 5-6 hours...surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marximus wrote:
Hope it doesn't really take 5-6 hours...surprise

First play with it being a teaching game and 4-players can easily go that long. Publisher has the rule books and videos posted. Ideally you play with 2-3 people. 4-player games will be on the long side. It is definitely in the area of 1/1.5 hours per player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:
DomaGB wrote:

Also, seriously, Tomb is your number one? Tomb?? Really?

I came into the hobby to replace and build upon the RPG's I used to play. So I still prefer and enjoy fantasy style board games. And this represents that.

The rule book is horrid, but once you learn the rules, for me it's Dungeons & Dragons as a board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.