Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BUFON

This Reversi/Othello variant was inspired by the Luis and Clark mechanism (pun intended ) in their excellent game of Corteso.

Introduction

Bufon is a game for two players, one plays as the Vertical player the other as the Horizontal player. The game is played on the spaces of a 8x8 board. Players share the 64 bi-colored pieces.

Definitions

A set of like-colored orthogonally adjacent pieces are considered a group.

The Luis and Clark mechanism - A group, regardless of color, is owned by Vertical if it spans more rows than columns, and by Horizontal if it spans more columns than rows. If a group spans exactly as many rows as columns, it's owned by neither player.

Play

Horizontal plays first, then turns alternate.

On their turn, a player must place one piece in any color on an empty space or on an empty space that is adjacent either orthogonally or diagonally to another piece on the board.

After placing a piece that is adjacent orthogonally or diagonally to another piece on the board, you have the option of flipping all un-like colored pieces lying in an uninterrupted straight orthogonal or diagonal row between the piece you placed and another like-colored piece.

The game ends when the board is full.

A player's score is determined by adding up the pieces of the groups that they own.

The player with the highest score wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Moxham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mb
reyalicea wrote:
BUFON

On their turn, a player must place one piece in either color on an empty space or on an empty space that is adjacent either orthogonally or diagonally to another piece on the board.

As in "either an animal of any colour or a blue warthog" ...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Bolaños Mures
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to see other designers being inspired by our game.

Captures can be added to Carteso in many different ways, of course. I think my first instinct would have been to try Go captures or a tailored version of them. For instance, you could have a Carteso variant with this additional rule:

On their turn, instead of placing a stone, a player can flip a tied group with no liberties, provided that the resulting group isn't itself tied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
luigi87 wrote:
Nice to see other designers being inspired by our game.

Captures can be added to Carteso in many different ways, of course. I think my first instinct would have been to try Go captures or a tailored version of them. For instance, you could have a Carteso variant with this additional rule:

On their turn, instead of placing a stone, a player can flip a tied group with no liberties, provided that the resulting group isn't itself tied.

Thanks Luis!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Setup? Do any pieces start on the board?

Are captures compulsory? In Reversi you must flip at at least one piece on every turn.

It also seems like this object would be very hard to play strategically or tactically for most of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rri1 wrote:
Setup? Do any pieces start on the board?

Are captures compulsory? In Reversi you must flip at at least one piece on every turn.

It also seems like this object would be very hard to play strategically or tactically for most of the game.

To answer your first and second questions, no. I edited the rules to show that capture is optional.

The answer to your last question can only be answered with more play testing. Yet I find Reversi just as vague strategically at the start of the game as Bufon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.