Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer: Before I start, I'm not looking for games about the Cold War (unless they fit), it's just that these games are great examples of what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for historical themed games (not wargames, even though I love them) that feel thematic.
The three I've found that fit what I'm looking for are:

Twilight Struggle- Every decision is agonizing (especially when you play a card that gives your opponent a benefit). It really feels like you're fighting over the world.

13 Days: The Cuban Missile Crisis- The sense of tension, brinkmanship, and walking on a razor's edge come through amazingly in this game! I feel like I'm actually living through those tense October days.

Cold War: CIA vs KGB- It's a light filler game, but the bluffing aspect actually makes it feel like the Cold War.

So, I'm looking for games that are about actual real history (any historical event/era, but not prehistory) and the theme isn't just pasted on.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you think about 1960: The Making of the President? Does it fit your requirements?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it is a bit early, but 1066, Tears To Many Mothers will likely kickstart 1st half of next year. Very cool alternate history game with the elements of actual history.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Lucký
Czech Republic
Praha 4
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about trick taking Renaissance Wars? Played it twice and it is not fine... Or partly-deckbuilder A Few Acres of Snow?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I'll recommend Wings for the Baron (second edition) and Berlin Airlift.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Moore
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Days of Westerplatte is the first thing that came to mind for me. A fairly obscure co-op game.
Even though you specified "non-wargames", 1812: The Invasion of Canada is another favorite for my group. That company's also done 1775: Rebellion & Freedom: The Underground Railroad.
And from the people you brought us 1960: The Making of the President is Founding Fathers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Burnham wrote:
Disclaimer: Before I start, I'm not looking for games about the Cold War (unless they fit), it's just that these games are great examples of what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for historical themed games (not wargames, even though I love them) that feel thematic.
The three I've found that fit what I'm looking for are:

Twilight Struggle- Every decision is agonizing (especially when you play a card that gives your opponent a benefit). It really feels like you're fighting over the world. . . So, I'm looking for games that are about actual real history (any historical event/era, but not prehistory) and the theme isn't just pasted on.

Since your example, Twilight Struggle, does involve armed conflict, I think Princes of the Renaissance fits your bill. It is very true to its theme: Renaissance Italy. I consider it Martin Wallace's finest game, and I understand that it is being republished very soon with some Wallace-approved rules modifications and new artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Moore
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More debatable I suppose: Kolejka, Automobile, Letters from Whitechapel, Lancaster, Nippon.

Also, I don't recommend Moai, but I can say it's one of the more thematically sound games I've played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Maoi is quite a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
I have a particular set of skills. They mostly involve polling.
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favorites is Tammany Hall. Very thematic area control game focussed on the immigrants of old New York. It has the drawings of Thomas Nast to evoke the era.

A very thematic WW2 spy game is City of Spies: Estoril 1942. Another spy game, not quite as specifically thematic (more generic Cold War) is Covert.

I just got, but haven't played, the well-regarded Wir sind das Volk!, also Cold War. One of my grail games is Die Macher.

Finally, a couple of extremely thematic games are Pax Porfiriana and Pax Pamir. Loads of history packed into the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's mostly a worker placement game, but you could try Three Kingdoms Redux.

Or the just-released Sola Fide: The Reformation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel He.
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Days of Ire: Budapest 1956 was just introduced at the Spiel in Essen. One of the guys at their booth described it as Twilight Struggle meets Pandemic, depending which side you are playing (soviets vs. ringleaders of the rebelious forces).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Republic of Rome, although it's arguably as heavy as many wargames.

Kremlin is more satirical in feel, but a lot of fun.

If you don't mind print and play, Henry VIII: Intrigue in the Tudor Court sounds like it might be right up your street.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drown
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You mentioned the GMT games, they have other card driven ones

ie, Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ? & Virgin Queen

Or check out - http://www.gmtgames.com/c-2-card-driven-games.aspx

I suspect most historic thematic games are going to be about conflict, so where do you draw the line of things being called a wargame?

Does something like Die Macher count?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Putnam
United States
New Freedom
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Struggle is great you should start there if you haven't played yet. 13 Days is Twilight Struggle lite but it's also good. If you like Twilight Struggle and want a multi player historical game check out Forged in Steel https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/32002/forged-steel or maybe Brass https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/28720/brass for thematic historical non war games.

Quote:
"I had the pleasure of joining an early playtest of Forged in Steel. When Ananda and I designed Twilight Struggle, we hoped that it would inspire other designers to innovate with card-driven game mechanics, and create playable games that also were rich in theme. Forged in Steel is a prime example of what we had in mind. Most serious historical gaming has focused on military and diplomatic history. Sometimes we see elements of political and economic history. Forged in Steel is the first game that looks to incorporate the world of “public history” into gaming. It does so in an extremely clever and engaging fashion. Like most people, I have no background in turn-of-the-century developments in Colorado. But by the end of one game, players will have absorbed an enormous amount of history effortlessly, and have a great time doing it." JM, 2015

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingRob wrote:
7 Days of Westerplatte is the first thing that came to mind for me. A fairly obscure co-op game.
Even though you specified "non-wargames", 1812: The Invasion of Canada is another favorite for my group. That company's also done 1775: Rebellion & Freedom: The Underground Railroad.
And from the people you brought us 1960: The Making of the President is Founding Fathers.

Founding Fathers and Underground Railroad are the notables here.

In addition to these, I recommend:

Blood Royale a very good simulation of medieval European political intrigue.

much like Cold War CIA/KGB, Article 27: The UN Security Council Game is a good simulation of how the UN works.

There are also game that attempt a historical theme, but are barely passable on that front (even if they are good or terrible games otherwise):

Mr. Jack - England during the period of Jack the Ripper
Boomtown - Westward US expansion
Homesteaders - also Westward expansion
El Capitán - sailing age
Cleopatra and the Society of Architects - Egyptian monument building
Colonial: Europe's Empires Overseas - as titled...this one actually tries REAL hard...too hard almost
Puerto Rico - Colonial Triangle Trade
Apollo XIII - events of the Apollo XIII mission (I have not played it due to bad reviews)
Mali Powstańcy: Warszawa 1944 - courier running during nazi occupation of Poland

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Drown wrote:
You mentioned the GMT games, they have other card driven ones

ie, Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ? & Virgin Queen

Or check out - http://www.gmtgames.com/c-2-card-driven-games.aspx

I suspect most historic thematic games are going to be about conflict, so where do you draw the line of things being called a wargame?

Does something like Die Macher count?

I have nothing against wargames (I love them) but I think I'd have about a zero percent chance of getting something like Paths of Glory to the table with my friends.
So theoretically wargames would be fine, but it's been my experience that the really thematic ones are generally more complex and longer than what my friends want to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus Jonas
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wir sind das Volk! +1
well balanced, thematic, antagonistic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Freedom: The Underground Railroad

Letters from Whitechapel

Leaving Earth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also include:

Civilization
Source of the Nile, or Terra Incognita (a PnP)
Revolution: The Dutch Revolt 1568-1648

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Blomquist
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I notice that a unifying theme of the three games you mention is the tension, and I'm not sure my suggestion has that (though I'm also not sure it should to fit with the theme) but my first thought was De Vulgari Eloquentia. It's a game I love because of the theme.

You all start out as merchants looking to create a unified Italian language, and throughout the game you have the option to join the Catholic church and work your way up the ranks. And there are a lot of historical events, literary works, and figures which you can interact with on your journey. I think each play does a good job telling a story. Really cool game. Best of luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jblomquist wrote:
So, I notice that a unifying theme of the three games you mention is the tension, and I'm not sure my suggestion has that (though I'm also not sure it should to fit with the theme) but my first thought was De Vulgari Eloquentia. It's a game I love because of the theme.

That is a good obvservation, but I like the thension in those games because it fits the theme. It's not like I'm looking specifically for tense games.

I think De Vulgari Eloguentia sounds great, and sounds like exactly the kind of game I'm looking for. I'll definitely look more into it. (Although to be fair I'm looking at every game that's being suggested. There are many that have been suggested that look to fit the bill. I appreciate all the suggestions and I gladly welcome any more that come!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Jones
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
thumbsup De Vulgari Eloquentia
Hard to learn. Use the player aids. A great, great game.

I also highly recommend Expedition: Northwest Passage. Very thematic and based on historical event.

You may have already thought of the heavy co-op: Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island loosely based on the true castaway Alexander Selkirk (A new version is just about to be released)

Edit: Also just thought of Lewis & Clark and the push your luck game Roll to the South Pole (perhaps less thematic) and also SOS Titanic (less thematic) if you can find it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kuhn
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Churchill would be right up your alley. It also appeals to wargamers quite a bit, and, since you mentioned that you enjoy wargames, I think it is one you will quite enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gordon
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like your world war 1 game would be The Grizzled

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.