3 Posts

Dreary Hamlet» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions about running out of certain cards in play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Max
msg tools
Hello!

We have just played our first game of "Dreary Hamlet" and stumbled upon a few moments we were not able to resolve during the game with the existing rules. Basically it is about the total amount of different cards and how that affects the game.

1. Is there meant to be a limit to crafted cards? For instance, there are only two "Fried Meat" cards, but the amount of components is big enough to have six of them in play (i.e. 6x "Flesh Scraps" and 6x "Lard"). What happens when someone wants to craft the card, but that card is unavailable in the crafting deck (let's assume that the other two were crafted and not eaten/sold, meaning they are still in players' hands).

2. What happens when the loot deck runs out? We ruled that the discard pile gets shuffled and becomes a new loot deck, but the official confirmation on this would be nice.

3. What happens when the creature deck runs out? We were not lucky enough to experience that (were pretty close though). Our guess was that that is the way for a game to end without "everyone dying". After all, why else there would be a constant reminder in the rules that you can win the game either dead or alive? However, reshuffling the creatures discard pile makes sense as well.

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fnorbl Fnorblobson
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played the game only once yet, I'm obviously no expert on it. Still, I'd play it as follows:

1. If a player wants to craft a card and that card is not available, then that card can't be crafted. That shouldn't happen often though. Crafted cards that get sold get returned to the pile, so are available again for crafting. So a crafted card is only unavailable while it's on a players hand, which won't be for too long, since cards on hand can be lost, and players don't want to risk that. When we played it, cards that got crafted got nearly always sold in the same turn.

2. Shuffle the discard pile and play with that as the new loot deck. After all, it makes no sense that all of a sudden you'd have no loot anymore from monsters.

3. Same, just use the discard pile as the new deck.

When we played the game, we had masses of loot and creature cards left. Not sure if we had bad luck with the dice rolling, or if people just got too greedy. In my case, I never ate the food, but always sold it. I was the first to die, but still won the game. (

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Boctor
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Orya wrote:
2. Shuffle the discard pile and play with that as the new loot deck. After all, it makes no sense that all of a sudden you'd have no loot anymore from monsters.

A friend of mine who played this with the creator at "some con" claims that the loot deck is not shuffled upon running out, and that this is intentional in order to give the game a finite ending point. Which makes sense in a mechanical way... but not thematically per the example you gave.

I suppose it's much for muchness as I've yet to ever have a game where the loot deck has run out.

*shrugs*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.