Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hugo Santos
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Overlord book - page 7
Quote:
If the activated tile is a unit tile, the Overlord activates all units in the group, spending any number of their movement points to move them. Each unit can perform 1 attack during its activation. When a unit attacks, all units in that group lose their remaining movement points.

So, my question is... Can I move all the miniatures from the group first and then start making their respective attacks after everybody moved?
I mean... It's kind strange if I have to active a miniature by moving and then attacking and after that, bein unable to move all the rest of the group!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you have to move all the ones you plan on moving before making your attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caibre wrote:
Yes you have to move all the ones you plan on moving before making your attacks.

You can also spend gems to move them after they have lost their movement points (e.g. because one of the group members attacked). IIRC you can only extend their movement by up to their original score with gems. e.g. if a unit has 3 move, you can spend up to 3 gems to move it further/later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Othman
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I thought you could spend as many gems as you liked to move it and that the 3 just referred to the unit's free movements?

EDIT: Just reread it and you are absolutely spot on Stephan, cheers for pointing that out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Dick
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mb
It really is a bad formulation of the rules.
Why didnt they say: "First, you have to move all the models you want to move in the activated monster group and then you get to make an attack with each model that is in range of a hero to attack." Would have been a lot easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enroth186 wrote:
Why didnt they say: "First, you have to move all the models you want to move in the activated monster group and then you get to make an attack with each model that is in range of a hero to attack." Would have been a lot easier.

You don't have to move them first, but it is "most cost effective" to do so. Once one of group's members has attacked, all members of the group lose any "free"/base movement points. They can be moved by spending gems after that. Likewise, any members of that group which did not attack before moving may do so after they lose their base movement points:

Per page 8, they can be moved with gems before or after they attack.

So, let's say i activate a group with 3 models. The first model moves and immediately attacks. The second model can be moved, for 1 gem per movement point, and may then attack as well. Likewise for the third model.

i can only assume that the "all models lose their free movement" is to keep the minions from having the same tactical flexibility as the heroes. If they want to have a freedom of movement/attacks similar to the heroes, the OL must pay extra gems for the privilege of being able to move after one of the minions in a group attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugo Santos
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Enroth186 wrote:

Exactly! On almost all games, you have to activate the miniatures one by one, so you have to finish one miniature activation before activating the next one... And following that premise, the Overlord would lose the free movement points from the other units after activating the first, being forced to spend gems to move the others.

But the rulebook doesn't specify nothing about group activation... If I have to completely activate one after another or if I can move all units first and then attack. So, came my doubt!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugosan wrote:
But the rulebook doesn't specify nothing about group activation... If I have to completely activate one after another or if I can move all units first and then attack.

That's all explained on page 7 of the Overlord Book: "... the Overlord activates all units in the group..."

The wording about moving all before attacking is admitted not as clear as it could be, but page 9 has a complete example which demonstrates that he can move all before attacking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Anonymous
Germany
flag msg tools
Jamie explained this in the rules video on youtube. They wanted to keep it simple.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lJv5nenEF8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.