Subject: Autistic Board Gamer Reviews rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Autistic Geek
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone. I'm Boo Boo, BGG @ OdinofDuckies, I am going to take a close look at a game called Deep Future. First I will give my opinions on the creator. Then I want to go in depth with the mechanics of the game. Next will be looking at theme and fluff. Lastly I give some possible improvements and some variations I am working on for this game. Let's get started! meeple

The creator goes by the name R. Winder. I have had some interaction with this game designer. Responses are bit slow, but can't blame someone for possibly having a busy life. So let's throw that negativity out the window. Winder is very helpful. Our interactions thus far, have been very positive. I love to create and Winder encourages variants and creativity. Winder answers questions about rules very clearly and precisely. If a rules seems a bit to unclear. They will go in and add it to the errata to be updated in future rules updates. So in short this creator is just awesome in my book.

Now let's look at how it plays. This is a game in the new genre of "Legacy" games. This means that what you do in the current game will affect future games in your series or campaign. I have fallen in love with this genre just due to the ever changing game. It is also a civilization game. Though what makes this unique, it is much more "macro" civilization. What I mean by this is that normally in civ styles games you focus on a particular nation, kingdom, or whatever. In Deep Future you are controlling these things on a much larger scale. Instead of people, cities, and base resources you control whole worlds and entire civilizations. Basically the average civ game is pretty much one to four cards in this game. It is also a "make as you play" game. What this means is you make game components while playing the game. I know some of you, if you never ventured into this game territory, might wonder "Why would I want to do that when you can buy game fully finished?" A simple answer is because those games are from someone else's imagination. Autistic brains tend to over work in some areas of intelligence, for good or bad. I definitely have that type and my area is pure creativity. While other's creativity boils nicely on the burner, mine over boils, pops, and splashes all over the place. Like the oatmeal you left in the microwave too long and it inflated over the bowl. Deep Future and other games in this category are great for me. Use a bit of creativity at a time.

So there are 3 types of cards that can be in a deck. Which are worlds, techs, and civilization cards. Worlds are exactly what they sound like. They represent entire worlds and what they can do. Techs represent anything that helps a civilization prosper or become great, personally I don't think it has to be a "technology". To win a game you have to fulfill 2 criteria. First you must fill up your home world and your 3 tech cards in your tableau with 3 advancements each. This part really isn't too hard. The next is complete one of the six victory conditions. These conditions are Territory, Population, Culture, Might, Stability, and Xeno. The first two deal with your galaxy. The basic get to X blanks and win. The last four are these tracks you will raise and lower during the course of play. The tracks are also how you lose. If any of the tracks reach the bottom of the track you lose. The exception is Culture, I guess even if your Culture gets bad enough other civilizations don't give a f@#$. Pretty standard for a civ style game. Mechanically this game is quite stable, but lacks a bit of mechanical variety. The Civilization cards are a reward for winning an Era. The window of opportunity to use them is quite small. It sounds reasonable in the rules, but you won't be using many civ cards until you get quite deep into the future, yes that was a bad pun. I have played 15-20 games, spanning 8 completed Eras and have used a civ card like 5 times. Though every card has a usefulness. Every card has a suite which is used to decide what actions you may take on your turn, so that civ card may not be able to be played for it's civ abilities, but you can use it for an action.

This will probably be the smallest section, due to it's nature of being a “make as you play” game. From the game itself it doesn't give you much. Basic intergalactic space faring sci fi. Humans have only one other contender for the universe, The Xeno. Man I thought there would have been more than that, spanning an entire universe. Though I can see trying to keep it simple for mechanic purposes. Past this the theme and fluff is all up to you! Great to have the creative flexibility.

Alright so it probably won't take much to beef up this game to contend with the “big leagues.” I could definitely see maybe starting packs via use of the Legacy variant. I haven't played Dizzy's variant yet. I am waiting to play that version until I get some of my own variations out into writing. I am developing a story mode and playing with the idea of race/species cards. I do want to revamp the challenge table to make the neutral cubes more active instead of straight passive. Who knows, maybe my overhaul would end up being basically a new game. So many things I can see being done with this as a foundation. Overall I can easily say this is one of my favorite games right now. Thank you R. Winder for making such a wonderful game.

What do you think of the game? You can follow me on Twitter [geekurl=https://twitter.com/AutisticBGamer]@AutisticBGamer[/geekurl]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The rwinder
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Come read my Arkham Horror stories on Twitter @ArkhamHorror
badge
Image courtesy of Smizmazmarlemagne
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review! I am so pleased that you enjoyed the game and that it can be a springboard for your own creativity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Autistic Geek
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A spring board aint got shit on this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.